• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Intel or AM3+ Mobo ~ $200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks good but again I'd dump the asrock for the giga you listed or the P8Z68-V or V Pro. One thing I've learned over the years is that what makes or breaks the motherboard in the long run are 2 things. The VRM and the BIOS support. Compare the voltage regulation between the Giga and the board you listed and you will see what I mean. The gigabyte board has a far more robust VRM than the Asrock.

The last thing you want to end up doing is roasting your new setup because of a flaky VRM (I'm looking at you MSI....) If there are any doubts in your mind which has the better VRM look at the backside of the board and you can see the solder joins of the FETs. If you compare around the socket you will see that the VRM (shaped like an L) is at least 3x larger on the Giga than on the Asrock which is a *clear* indicator that the Giga is a *far* better board.

Last edited:
Honestly speaking coming from a i2500k owner; arguably the best motherboard you can get is the P8Z68-V Pro from Asus; everyone has em and there's tons of info about em.

Only thing it takes forever to boot, grab a cup of coffee after you press the power button, if you as impatient as I am then you'll be very annoyed, my work 5 yr old laptop boots faster

Only thing it takes forever to boot, grab a cup of coffee after you press the power button, if you as impatient as I am then you'll be very annoyed, my work 5 yr old laptop boots faster

Really? I never had that issue, as far as I recall all the POST looping was cause by people using PLL overvoltage which occurs on all Z68 boards

Looks good but again I'd dump the asrock for the giga you listed or the P8Z68-V or V Pro. One thing I've learned over the years is that what makes or breaks the motherboard in the long run are 2 things. The VRM and the BIOS support. Compare the voltage regulation between the Giga and the board you listed and you will see what I mean. The gigabyte board has a far more robust VRM than the Asrock.

The last thing you want to end up doing is roasting your new setup because of a flaky VRM (I'm looking at you MSI....) If there are any doubts in your mind which has the better VRM look at the backside of the board and you can see the solder joins of the FETs. If you compare around the socket you will see that the VRM (shaped like an L) is at least 3x larger on the Giga than on the Asrock which is a *clear* indicator that the Giga is a *far* better board.

What's the VRM? Are you talking about the blocks around the CPU? When I search it in google it comes out as those nodes sticking out of the motherboard, the asrock has the gold ones, and gigabyte's is blue/black

What's the VRM? Are you talking about the blocks around the CPU? When I search it in google it comes out as those nodes sticking out of the motherboard, the asrock has the gold ones, and gigabyte's is blue/black

This:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/05/11/asus_p8z68v_pro_z68_chipset_motherboard_review

1304792042Np7rlBCjm7_1_12_l.jpg

And This:

IMG_0858.jpg

vs this

asrock.jpg

If you pull the heatsinks off there are voltage-regulation-modules ie VRM that filter the power supplied by your PSU; the more of them the cleaner the power going to your CPU is; it also helps as a backstop from your CPU overpulling juice and blowing up from a voltage spike

The asrock one doesnt compare to the other 2 if you look at the backside of the board where the solder joints for the VRMs are

Thanks a lot! Is there a specification listing on info pages that tell you how many vrms a board has? Or can you only tell by looking at the board

Look at ASUS and Gigabyte advertizing. I don't worry about the amount of phases, just the quality. I only have 3+2 however the mosfet's is Lower Rds (on) and Ferrite core chokes and Intel approved Intersil PWM controller that is VRD 12 (Voltage Regulator Down)in my Gigabyte Z68.

My feeling is the more VRM phases you have that you don't need, the more there is to break, The motherboard engineers in the last few years have gone crazy with VRM phases and the cost of these motherboards have sore through the roof.

Here is some reading if you want to see what to really look for not just advertizing the amount of phases.:cool:

Everything You Need to Know About The Motherboard Voltage Regulator Circuit
LINK http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/616/1

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! Is there a specification listing on info pages that tell you how many vrms a board has? Or can you only tell by looking at the board

hardwarecanucks said:
Sboard8.jpg

Beneath the heatsinks we have the DIGI+ VRM EPU along with 16 chokes, drivers and MOSFETS (one for each phase). DIGI+ VRM acts as a digital controller eliminating digital-to-analog conversion lag. Compared to analog designs, a DIGI+ VRM offers more flexibility and faster system response times so adjustments to voltages can be more accurate and safer to implement. Twelve of the phases are DIGI+ VRM phases (vcore) plus four for vDRAM/QPI.

ixbtlabs said:
cpu-pwm.jpg

While the CPU VRM is formally powerful, the promised 8 phases are actually provided by a 4-phase PWM controller, i.e. those phases are sort of 'virtual'. But every 'virtual' phase still has a choke and a couple FETs, so considering there are two System Agent phases (with 4 FETs per each), you can be sure the motherboard will work fine with high-end processors in the Turbo Boost mode. Traditionally, all capacitors are polymer, made by Japanese Nichicon. In other words, it's a decent mid-end solution without either luxuries or excesses.

Gigabyte said:
1789_1.jpg

GIGABYTE's cutting edge 20 phase power VRM design utilizes the highest caliber components to provide unadulterated, smooth power to the CPU. The innovative 20 phase power VRM has been designed and engineered to deliver fast transient response times through quick and seamless power delivery during extensive CPU loading variations. In addition, heat from the VRM is effectively reduced by spreading the load between the 20 power phases, resulting in a cooler, more stable platform.

My feeling is the more VRM phases you have that you don't need, the more there is to break, The motherboard engineers in the last few years have gone crazy with VRM phases and the cost of these motherboards have sore through the roof.

It does on some level; like you said IF its high quality (which yours is) you can get away with less but personally speaking I would be uncomfortable overclocking to 5ghz with SLI on Ivy Bridge 6 core with that board. The added VRMs my be overkills; I will grant you that but it does help a great deal to maintain a stable overclock with equip that has a high power draw. Ive blown way too many MSI boards with bad vreg to not shell out an extra $30 to get something better.

Also your mobo does not have video out for virtu :p

Last edited:
Finally got my i5-2500k yesterday
Just ordered the gigabyte ud4 motherboard z68

Should get by wed and built by friday
thanks guys!

Back