• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Liquid cooling setup for quiet Corsair 250D Mini-ITX rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pineapplejam

Hi, I'm new to water cooling but I've done a fair amount of research on the topic. I've built ATX and mATX rigs before and they were a little too big for my liking. Had so much empty space and took up a lot of desk room. Also I am going to be carrying this thing around with me quite a bit so I want something small. That being said I am planning on building a small form factor mITX water cooled rig. I am not going to run a lot of hardware in it and will only be using 1 video card. Here is a list of the parts I am going with:
-ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Motherboard
-Intel i7-6700K CPU (Overclocking as much as possible)
-AMD R9 Fury Nano (Overclocking as much as possible)
-16GB DDR4 Ram (haven't decided exactly what kind)
-SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 128 or 256GB SSD
-Haven't Decided on a psu yet

As you can see, it's a very minimal spec list. My question is, what is the best liquid cooling setup/kit for this kind of setup?
-How many radiators and what kind will I need?
-AF or SP fans? I want this to be an almost silent build but I am more concerned about maintaining lower temps. If AF fans will be significantly quieter and just a few degrees higher than SP fans that's not a problem.
-I really like the D5 pump and want to use that but I'm not sure if it will fit in this kind of build. Open to suggestion on pumps.
-What is a good reservoir for this build?

Ultimately my goal is a powerful gaming rig (1440p and maybe 4k) but I want it to be small and quiet. Lastly, I don't really want to spend a fortune on the cooling system ($250 max). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
As you can see, it's a very minimal spec list. My question is, what is the best liquid cooling setup/kit for this kind of setup?
-How many radiators and what kind will I need?
-- Corsair lists compatibility for radiators: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/obsidian-series-250d-mini-itx-pc-case
-- You'll need 1.120 per 100W you're cooling.
-AF or SP fans? I want this to be an almost silent build but I am more concerned about maintaining lower temps. If AF fans will be significantly quieter and just a few degrees higher than SP fans that's not a problem.
-- Neither, do some reading in this section about what fans others are using. There was a large thread about it just a day or two ago.
-I really like the D5 pump and want to use that but I'm not sure if it will fit in this kind of build. Open to suggestion on pumps.
-- Swiftech MCP50X
-What is a good reservoir for this build?
-- You'll have to see what space is open in your case for the res.

Ultimately my goal is a powerful gaming rig (1440p and maybe 4k) but I want it to be small and quiet. Lastly, I don't really want to spend a fortune on the cooling system ($250 max). Any help will be greatly appreciated.
-- I'll be shocked if you put your CPU and GPU under water for $250.

Replies in red. Go read through our stickies please, you need to.

I already have tubing and a crap load of fittings. I was mostly talking about the res rads pump and fan to be in the $250 range. I saw some kits online for around there

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just gonna go with the EK kit and extra rad and fans from Witchdoctor's post. I already have the nano gpu block. This is my first wc build so I think that'll be a good start. In about a year I will build a second more serious wc build and give this one to my girl or something. Or pull the gpu out and install it into my car. Thanks again guys. Will be back soon.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just gonna go with the EK kit and extra rad and fans from Witchdoctor's post. I already have the nano gpu block. This is my first wc build so I think that'll be a good start. In about a year I will build a second more serious wc build and give this one to my girl or something. Or pull the gpu out and install it into my car. Thanks again guys. Will be back soon.

Just be sure to read up in the stickies on cleaning, flushing, and bleeding.

Back