• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best low end OC'ing mobo cpu combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lander

Registered
I'm looking to enter the world of overclocking however i cannot afford to destroy my main computer as I am a lazy teen without a job lol, and i just fried my xp2400. It wasn't over clocked it was just in the death case, stupid case has cost me a mobo and 2 processors just because of its horrible airflow, although i probably had sumthing to do with it to, oh well. Anyways the real question is what is a the best motherboard and cpu combo for overclocking that wouldn't run me more than say 50$, I am willing to use ebay, pricegrabber, pricewatch, priceshark whatever just to give me sumthing to tinker with, anyways your help is appreciated. 1 post yay!

I should probably add that im looking for sumthing that is or can reach about the 1ghz barrier, just so i don't have a slug.

I would suggest putting the $50 towards a good case and some cooling?

Otherwise perhaps try an older Socket A Duron, 600MHz versions of these have hit 1GHz in good KT133A based boards.

Heh way ahead of you, new case, xp2500, and i know u guys hate this but thermaltake volcano 12 ship monday or have already shipped, along with some as5, and a lapping kit to get my hs nice and smooth, I don't wanna kill another cpu, i plan on modding the case for a fan directly under the cpu as well as through in a 120 in the front and maybe another in the back, we'll see what happens, but that will be my main box and i wanna get sum experience in before i kill another cpu. I'll look into that processor, infact right now im using a athlon that runs at 650mhz not sure what model, but its my friend's so no breaking that heh. Anyways keep posting ppl i need help. thanks in advanced.

If you are looking for an old combo get an old 440BX board and a celeron processor. Had one of those boards and loved it.

i was kinda looking to stay away from slot 1 boards and cpu's seem like they would be more difficult to cool.

Back