• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Low Profile CPU Cooler/Heatsink?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RedCell989

Registered
Thinking about upgrading CPU to AMD 1100T, or 1090T. Have a Thermaltake ArmorA30 case which realistically only gives me about 4-5" of Heatsink/Fan etc. to work with before it starts coming close to the bottom of the power supply.

I currently have a ASUS M4A785-M motherboard, AMD Phenom X4 9500 processor with stock CPU heatsink and fan.

Would like to keep budget below $60 USD

Would like to light-moderate overclock the new CPU, right now I am running a 10% ASUS preset overclocking profile, and with stock CPU cooler maintaining 40-47 degree Celsius CPU temps (cooling built into the case helps tremendously, my old case was 50-55 degrees) I want to maintain a decent CPU temperature and be able to possibly increase amount of overclocking to play around.

I am just worried I will spend my limited budget on some piece of junk that won't cool the 1100T or 1090T properly, and end up with an unstable system, or damaged hardware over time.

Any ideas? good experiences? keeping in mind I have about 5" at the most for height.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I find the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7/9/11/13 series quite effective as they also come in low-profile.

I'm facing a similar dilemma, but with even tighter height tolerances.

I'm currently eying a ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu as it is a lot wider than it is tall.

I am leaning towards the Zalman, really not much bigger than my stock heatsink and fan as far as "width" or area is concerned. The thing that kind of made me shy away from the arctic processors was the arctic website doesn't list the low profile models as AM3 compatible, which wouldnt be a huge deal im sure I could customize a bit, bit also they are only rated for processors up to 95 watts, and 1100T is 125 watts, so kind of iffy on that especially if I want to overclock.

Still looking around though, the Zalman has a 17-35db noise level which for me is kind of loud if the fan is running at full blast, not a huge issue though.

Thanks for the info!

Just a heads up - Was checking around and saw some newer models that would likely be better than the CNPS7000b-cu.

The CNPS8700LED looks like a much improved design with heatpipes. This is what I'm likely to go with for my build if the stock HSF proves to be too loud.

The Zalman 7000 is a wash for cooling a modern quad or hex processor. It's a real old design and won't even handle overclocking a dual core very well.

I know it's stretching your budget a bit, but one of the very best low profile coolers out there is the Thermalright AXP140-RT. It's $64.95 plus shipping, but it does come with the proper mounts and the fan so it's a drop in for your system.

Ya I have been comparing the prices and specs, and for the money the Thermalright is a good buy, every user review has been positive. Thinking of adding Yate Loon D14SH-12 140mm fan, but I am going to try the one it comes with first.

Thanks for the info!

The Prolimatech Samuel 17 isn't bad either. That Thermalright one will most likely be better since it has more surface area.

I just installed an AMD Phenom II x6 1100t cpu with a Thermaltake Water2.0 performer cpu cooler on my ASUS M4A785-M motherboard and my temps haven't even raised up yet stays at 32 degrees F. I want to Overclock it but am worried about doing so as I also use an XFX Ati Radeon HD 6950 2gb Graphics cards and want to be able to stabilize all areas to play BF3 with no issues like a tearing effect in graphics while in game. Can anyone help?

ReapePHnumbers guy:

I just installed an AMD Phenom II x6 1100t cpu with a Thermaltake Water2.0 performer cpu cooler on my ASUS M4A785-M motherboard and my temps haven't even raised up yet stays at 32 degrees F. I want to Overclock it but am worried about doing so as I also use an XFX Ati Radeon HD 6950 2gb Graphics cards and want to be able to stabilize all areas to play BF3 with no issues like a tearing effect in graphics while in game. Can anyone help?

32C is idle temps using ASUS temp software. So I dunno, can't help. There are programs to test temps and monitor temps. You need these.

You should of started your own thread, it has nothing to do with the current thread. It's called Threadjacking.

We have a watercooling forum for your H100.
We have an AMD forum for learning about overclocking.
We have a GPU forum for your card.
We have a gaming forum for screen tearing issues.

Back