• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best monitor setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 6990 has 2gb of Vram while the 590 has 1.5gb. In larger resolutions, especially 3 30", this could be important. AMD also has better scaling, and can allow for more monitors and orientations.

Personally I wouldn't bother with 3 monitors unless in portrait. Many games do not support it landscape well. Everything on the side monitors are stretched like hell and you have to turn your head to see the hud. When a notification occurs you may not notice it. It is pretty immersive, but not much games support it well enough.

The 6990 has 2gb of Vram while the 590 has 1.5gb. In larger resolutions, especially 3 30", this could be important. AMD also has better scaling, and can allow for more monitors and orientations.

Personally I wouldn't bother with 3 monitors unless in portrait. Many games do not support it landscape well. Everything on the side monitors are stretched like hell and you have to turn your head to see the hud. When a notification occurs you may not notice it. It is pretty immersive, but not much games support it well enough.

Can't say I agree with this. Most games I've played use landscape eyefinity fairly well. :shrug:

Well, can't the monitors also be set up to where one of them is dedicated for gaming, while the other is dedicated to a web browser and media and the third is dedicated to photoshop? I'm just listing off examples. And then switch to the 3 displays for one game when it is well supported?

Can't say I agree with this. Most games I've played use landscape eyefinity fairly well. :shrug:

Hmm, I wish I could try something like this out, but.. I'm sure that's practically impossible.

The quick answer, Yes SLI or Crossfire will rock your boat! As far as the "Best Monitor".....
crvd_20100830.jpg

See it here http://www.crvd.com/ :comp:

:drool:.... That is an awesome idea. Not the best way of putting it together I think. Also, it is waay out of most consumer's pricerange. It is nice how alot of games natively support it however, even fairly older ones like BFH and UT3.

Last edited:
Well, can't the monitors also be set up to where one of them is dedicated for gaming, while the other is dedicated to a web browser and media and the third is dedicated to photoshop? I'm just listing off examples. And then switch to the 3 displays for one game when it is well supported?

You can, but the fact that the game doesn't work well on 3 monitors makes you feel like you're missing so much and you'll probably decide to play another game, at least that's how it is for me.

Really? Most games support landscape, but only a few implement it right. So far the only games I've played that worked perfect were Assassins Creed and Bad Company 2. Black Ops did after using a widescreen fixer. The other games I tried had the hud at the end monitors or had stupid annoying bugs (Like in Batman AA objects would disappear on the middle monitor because too many objects were being rendered, other games cutscenes don't work properly, etc).

Portrait mode works fine in pretty much all games however, but you lose the super wide FOV (Though it really isn't that wide since it's all stretched on the side monitors anyway)

Back