• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Motherboard for P4ht

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

psynaptic

Hi folks,

This is my first post so be nice! :D

I'm going to upgrade my computer soon and could do with some professional advice. I have always been on the side of AMD but now I think it's time for a change as the P4ht's look rather good.

I make music and need all the speed I can get. I am considering:

- P4ht [need advice on the best one. I have looked around on the net and found the Northwood 2.8GHz (800FSB) which looks tasty. Would it be best to buy a 2.6 or a 2.8 and overclock to +3GHz or just buy the fast chip?]

- Asus P4P800S-E Deluxe [like the look of this a lot as I've always stuck with asus for my boards]

- Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Canterwood [this also looks very cool]

- A pair of Western Digi "Raptor" SATA Drives in Raid0 with an extra IDE drive for storage.

If you could recommend a good combination and also inform me of the best ddr to go with the set I'd be very much grateful.

Thanks a bunch,

Psy

p4 2.8 c oc 3.6 ghz;

asus mobo;
pc 3700 or higher;

but better willbe to go with A64
what do u think?

if you go asus, don't buy the P4P800S, it's single channel. You'll want P4P800 or P4C800

ok thanks so far, what about the gigabyte board... has anybody got an opinion on it vs. the asus one?

I'm not clear as to how much more performance I would get from going 64bit. As far as I understand 64bit for audio related application, the plugins and instruments I use could be run using 64bit thus increasing the quality 2 fold. Is this correct?

Maybe I should stick a little behind on this one and go for the 2.8 northwood?

thanks again,

psy

i have a HT and Asus mobo ect well im saying i know what im talking about here

this is a killer setup i did last week for some guy who was all shady about what he was using it for:

asus P4C800-E

2.8C @ 3.2/with sp94 heat pipe line and stealth fan!

KINGSTON HYPERX 512MB DUAL CHANNEL KIT PC4000 2X256MB DDR 500MHZ 184PIN

ATI 9800 Pro 256DDR

2 WD RAPTOR 36GB SATA 10000RPM and a 80 gb 8mb sata for the os

2 multie drives (dvd burners that do all)

anteck slk3700bqe 1 side 1 front 1 rear 120mm fans (stealths)

anteck true blue 480w

SB AU 2 24bit

zip drive floppy drive fan controller

2 17" view sonic lcd 's

and these speakers that are like 400w he picked up i dint get them in for him he whent and got them

so i say go 2.8C asus p4C800-E the raptors are dope but get one more simpler hd just for the os

look at the setup above its sweet i need to scan this pic i have of it all setup for my test i did on it but he should have whent h20 think about it man

dont get the kingston hyper X ram, i work with it daily and it is very poor for overclocking in general. I have 1 gig pc3500 and 1gig pc4000 and even at default speed, max vdimm they wont even post with tighest timings, i mean tahts ok at oc speed but when default speed is 2.5-8-8-3 and it wont even post at 2-5-5-2 then i dont have much faith in the memory :/ - try some Geil Golden Dragon.

the abit IC7-MAX3 is a pretty good motherboard.

and if you aren't a crazy overclocker the mobo in my sig is pretty nice. it has lots of features, but kinda limited on voltages

Best bang for the buck Abit AI7, Replace my PITA Max 3 with it and have been very happy. Never had an Asus board, all mine are Abits. 2 raptors is the way to go, have them with a 200gig data drive. I have had great luck with OCZ and Corsair but the Geil is not that great.

never used ocz but there not to bad (dont seem bad)
but kingston is best corsair is right up ther with it

asus P4C800-E u must get this mobo its the best

hey stan how things by the way i have to say mushkin is cheap crap i wouls rather go samsung oem pc3200 ddr400 than any of there crap sorry to say

Ya, I would go ABIT IC7-G with P4 3.0C and some Kingston or Corsair memory. I have had great hyper x ram and great corsair xms ram. So many opinions...

syberspy@school said:
never used ocz but there not to bad (dont seem bad)
but kingston is best corsair is right up ther with it

asus P4C800-E u must get this mobo its the best

hey stan how things by the way i have to say mushkin is cheap crap i wouls rather go samsung oem pc3200 ddr400 than any of there crap sorry to say

haven't been here much.... but mushkin being cheap crap.... level 2 black was "the" memory to have just a little while ago

Thanks for all the replies people. I'm going offline for a few weeks due me moving house. Will check this thread when I get back. Thanks again,

Psy

I have p4c800 E deluxe
running 2 sticks of kingmax 512mb ddr400
and a prescott core 2.8 oc'd to 3ghz

beautifull, but I think if you goin got buy the 2.8 might as well go prescott since the p4c can handle it

Back