• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Motherboard for P4ht

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This will have to be kinda quick, as I gotta get back to work (and it's Monday, too!) :-/

I'm running a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP-rev2, and couldn't be happier. You can get a nice little OC with it (at least as good as most other mobos) and the board is LOADED with features. Like 3 RAIDs (two SATA plus one IDE), eight USB-2 and three firewire ports. etc, etc.

On the other hand if you want the easest MAX OC, do get the Asus and be prepaired to modify (as in solder) the voltage regulator.

NOW FORGET THE ABOVE!

Get a piece of paper and draw two columns

1) First thing check prices on 3.2G (for stock speed or min OC) vs 2.8G (for serious OCing) CPUs

2) In your "stock" column add the price of nice DDR 400 RAM.

NOW TOTAL YOUR "STOCK" PRICE

3) in your OC column add:
a) The price of DDR 566 RAM
b) The price of a CPU and Northbridge water cooling setup. (unless youre already deaf) ;)
c) The price of extra case fans and a modded or high-end case.
d) The price of anything I've forgotten to mention, but others may.

NOW TOTAL YOUR "SERIOUS OVERCLOCKING" COLUMN.

Overclocking can be fun, but it can cost a LOT these days, too. :eek:

Oh, and on the question of Northwoods vs Prescot, if you don't overclock too much go for the Prescot in RETAIL BOX form.

Last edited:
im going to have to agree that the 8knxp is a great mobo *points to sig* ;) but it is quite lacking in voltages.

I agree with the Gigabyte being a great board. Abit, ASUS, and Gigabyte are the three wise men when it comes to mainboards. Abit and ASUS can usually overclock higher than the Gigabyte's but thats about it.

Prescott or Northwood? Get the Northwood. Scotts's run to hot from the factory putting aside what they run Oc'd. Also try and get a C1 stepping Northwood if you can but you might have to call the vendor and ask them to pick one of for you.

Memory wise, I have to contradict the post above saying that Mushkin memory was "crap". It is in no way, shape or form "crap". They make some of the best memory out there, espically their older models. Crucial, OCZ, Kingston, Mushkin, some PMi and just about anything with Bh-5 or 6 chips in it. When picking ram look for the lowest latency and also check to make sure it compatible with your motherboard.

Well, I just ordered what MAY be some really terific RAM. :rolleyes:

It's DDR-500 (PC4000) TINY BGA by Kingmax. (see the review on Anandtech)
http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1990

It equaled the best DDR400 theyv'e tested, and ran very cool at up to 528 ... with NO HEATSPREADER!
Cleary it's best for someone that doesn't want to take a 2.8 all the way to 4.0+, but how many really susceed? About none.

For myself, I'm prob. going to sell my 2.4G M0 (a great chip) and go for a 3.2G with mild OC and fast 1:1 RAM timings.

And by the way, I really wanted a pair of 512's, so I called Kingmax to find out what the hold-up has been. It seems Kingmax can sell all they can make in Asia. The 512M DDR500 soon to be seen on Newegg will be regualr TSOP stuff, NOT the Tiny BGA.
For now they DO have 256M sticks for $65 each, so I ordered four of 'em.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-011&depa=0

I you read the review, and it sounds like something you want to try, I would NOT wait too long.
So far I haven't found any posts of those using this, so I just can't say for sure.
We will see. :cool:

Back