• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEST OCZ memory for ......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

paupton

I have an ASUS A8N SLI deluxe, with dual Asus EN6800 video cards. Looking to buy OCZ memeory. I see several different types available. Can someone who has experience with OCZ give me some advice on the best for my particular mobo. Has an AMD 64 3500 + proc with Zalman 7000 runs about 29* idle.
thanks in advance
allan

****looking at the XMS******
Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200

Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader Retail

1 Gigabyte of HIGH QUALITY - HIGH SPEED - RAM

The TWINX1024-3200C2PT is a 1 GByte matched memory pair specifically designed for motherboards using chipsets with dual memory channels.Current dual channel chipsets include the Intel 865PE/G and 875P,and the Nvidia nForce2 Ultra.This memory kit consists of two CMX512-3200C2 DDR400 CAS-2 memory modules that have been tested together on either an 875P or an nForce2 Ultra dual channel DDR motherboard.This memory has been verified to operate at 200MHz (2-3-3).TWINX memory kits are designed to provide the ultimate in performance and stability in dual channel boards.

I have the same mobo and am building a similar setup and there are sooo many options to go. from what I'm gathering I think OCZ Gold PC4000 is the way to go. But I dunno...it's what anandtech reviewed and it performed really well. Although I'm confused now because on Anandtech it has a timing of 2-2-2 and on newegg it says it's 2.5-3-3. I guess Anandtech changed the default timings?

WeaponX6X said:
I think OCZ Gold PC4000 is the way to go. But I dunno...it's what anandtech reviewed and it performed really well. Although I'm confused now because on Anandtech it has a timing of 2-2-2 and on newegg it says it's 2.5-3-3. I guess Anandtech changed the default timings?

At DDR 500 it has 2.5-3-3-8 timings. Maybe 2-2-2 at DDR 400 I don't know I have not tried that. Depends on how high you want your FSB (or HTT I guess for AMD) if you want to go higher then 265 you may want to buy PC 4200 or 4400. I have PC 4000 Gold Edtion Rev 2.0 and I can't get it go higher then 260 with 2.5-3-3-8. With 3-4-4-8 it will do 265, but that is as high as it will go or it will fail Prime95 torture test in a minute.

Nah. The best RAM would be the PC4200. The gold uses Hynix DT-D50 which is inferior for the A64 platform which does much better with TCCD. DT-D50 is for Intel guys like me <note that I have that ram>

Where is G.Skill....

in this hunt. I have been reading that several of the guys on this forum have gone to G.Skill. That is a new name to me. What makes it any better than OCZ if it is? I had 2 gigs of Patriot, but have sold one gig, have the third piece spoken for and can move the last 512 k real quick. I need to make up my mind, but is doesnt seem to want that to happen. HElp

paupton said:
in this hunt. I have been reading that several of the guys on this forum have gone to G.Skill. That is a new name to me. What makes it any better than OCZ if it is?
To be honest it isnt. The only difference is that they rate their stuff alot higher than most guys and they beat OCZ to the punch at making a PC4400 @ 2.5-3-3

Another question.....

would better performance be gained from using .......
A. 2 x 1024 dual channel or
B. 4 x 512 dual channel.
I have never run any test to have an answer to this.

WeaponX6X said:
Why 3x512? Is that proven with numbers because it seems a bit random.
A64s clock badly with 4 dimms. And TCCD only comes in 512 modules max. So its logical that the best config with high capacity would be 3 x 512

you may try other online resselers but from what I know, newegg has the best price for ocz memory. normally in other stores 4200pl goes for about 350-400$!!!!!!!!!!

the other way is ebay, but I there is always a risk

Sentential said:
A64s clock badly with 4 dimms. And TCCD only comes in 512 modules max. So its logical that the best config with high capacity would be 3 x 512

How would it be logical to use 3 sticks in a dual channel board?

Back