• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P6X58D Premium Memory Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AJN917

I have the Asus P6X58D Premium, i7-930, and Corsair XMS3 6GB(3x2GB) "TR3X6G1600C8 G" currently.
Im looking for an upgrade in my memory for a reasonable price.
The QVL list for the mother board has this memory as a single triple-channel configuration, and not supported for dual triple-channel configuration.
I was aware of this when I purchased them and decided to deal with this when i wanted an upgrade.

Should I just buy another 6GB of the same memory and ignore the QVL list?
If it says its not supported, then can I not run 6x 2GB modules at 1600mhz 8-8-8-24? Or is it no one has tried and found out?

Or should Ii just go for any 12GB(3x4GB) kit with good timings? There is no memory listed to run at 1600 mhz & 8-8-8-24 in a triple channel config.
Regardless if purchased as a 3x4GB set or individual 4GB modules bought seperately.

The only memory I can see on the QVL list that has equal/better timings at 1600 mhz in two triple-channel configs is the OCZ Technology 6GB OCZ3X16LV6GK.
After a quick search, I found them to be $200 roughly for 1 triple set. Thats $400 to switch memory and add 6g while keeping 1600mhz & 8-8-8-24 timings.

Is my current setup fine and im wasting my money?
Any insightful information is greatly appreciated.

Additionally:
I am not currently in XMP mode and have manually input my cpu/memory values. I am just starting to dabble in overclocking.
Do I need to be? Is it better than manually input values?

Update:

Seems I don't have the patience to wait for more replies but feel free to share any knowledge for future reference.

Just ordered 3x CORSAIR CMX4GX3M1A1600C7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145327

$120 for 12gb of 1600mhz 7-8-7-20 memory doesn't seem bad.
Not guaranteed to work together in triple channel but worth a shot.
Looked for like 2 hours to find anyone that may have tried but could not find any info.
If only 2 work together i guess 8gb in dual-channel is still an upgrade to my current setup.

I'll try to remember to reply with my success or failure for those that may be interested in this setup.

Three of those should work fine in Triple channel. You could have found a kit that was 3x4GB for less money though. 1600Mhz C7 isn´t that tight. Not tight enough that it´ll matter whether or not you´re using ´sequential´sticks that were tested to 100% work together. I think there´s a 99.999% chance that you´ll be fine.

If you do end up being unable to run all three sticks, which is not likely, I would urge you to return them and go back to your current 3x2GB setup. Keep in mind that the difference from Cas 7 to Cas 8 is only noticeable in benchmarks, and even then, only ever so slightly.

What will be noticeable is going from triple to dual channel. Because of the way that i7 first gen adresses RAM compared to second gen (Sandybridge), you´ll actually get significantly reduced bandwidth on your 1366 setup on dual versus triple channel.
What that means is that dual channel DDR3 of the same timings and latency has higher bandwidth on 1155 than 1366.

Basically, you will lose more performance than you will gain by going from 3x2 to 2x4. It would be a downgrade in terms of speed. Even though you´re on Cas 7 on the new RAM vs Cas 8. Doesn´t matter. 1366 should always be run with 3 or 6 sticks. 2 or 4 is not ideal.

Try to go for kits in future, and don´t worry so much about the QVL. I´ve never built with QVL RAM before. There are lots of 3x4GB Cas 7 kits that you could go for, for about the same price as what you payed for those 3 sticks individually.. if they don´t work out, and you have to switch out, I mean. Just don´t run two sticks. It hurts the bandwidth of the system.

I have the Asus P6X58D Premium, i7-930, and Corsair XMS3 6GB(3x2GB) "TR3X6G1600C8 G" currently.
Im looking for an upgrade in my memory for a reasonable price.
The QVL list for the mother board has this memory as a single triple-channel configuration, and not supported for dual triple-channel configuration.
I was aware of this when I purchased them and decided to deal with this when i wanted an upgrade.

Should I just buy another 6GB of the same memory and ignore the QVL list?
If it says its not supported, then can I not run 6x 2GB modules at 1600mhz 8-8-8-24? Or is it no one has tried and found out?

Or should Ii just go for any 12GB(3x4GB) kit with good timings? There is no memory listed to run at 1600 mhz & 8-8-8-24 in a triple channel config.
Regardless if purchased as a 3x4GB set or individual 4GB modules bought seperately.

The only memory I can see on the QVL list that has equal/better timings at 1600 mhz in two triple-channel configs is the OCZ Technology 6GB OCZ3X16LV6GK.
After a quick search, I found them to be $200 roughly for 1 triple set. Thats $400 to switch memory and add 6g while keeping 1600mhz & 8-8-8-24 timings.

Is my current setup fine and im wasting my money?
Any insightful information is greatly appreciated.

Additionally:
I am not currently in XMP mode and have manually input my cpu/memory values. I am just starting to dabble in overclocking.
Do I need to be? Is it better than manually input values?

Better go with 3x4GB and something more standard like CL8/9 than CL6/7. These boards have problems on 6 sticks and no matter if you have your ram on QVL list or not you have to play with IOH voltage and probably also timings. Most kits that are working as 3x2GB in CL6/7 won't work below CL8 in 12GB+ config on this board. At least I wasn't able to run about 5 different kits that are making up to 2250 cl7 in 2x2GB or 3x2GB config.
Better use manual settings if it's stable as these boards have sometimes problems to set good values from SPD.
ASUS memory support is a joke and if you say anything about overclocking then they will ignore all problems and say that oc isn't guaranteed ( even that memory can be on QVL list and you have to set manual settings or it won't run stable ).

Got my memory today.
Popped them in and everything started up with listed speeds and timings.
Havent done and benchmarks or otherwise as my LCS is coming tomorrow.
I guess i got off easy if my only inconvenience was a 2 day delay on a delivery due to hurricane Irene.

Back