• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best "Performace" CPU and Memory (RAM) and SSD setup for my New Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ReL0ad3r

Registered
Best "Performace" CPU and Memory (RAM) and SSD setup for my New Gaming Build

First off let me start by saying hello to everyone as this is my first post here at Overclockers (been here many many times just as a reader only)
My Name is ReL0ad3r (joey)

I have been a bit lost when it comes to finding the best possible choices for my new EVGA Z170 Classified K gaming build.

I'm looking for kick *** "Performance" in a guy (disabled vet) who can game for 6 to 8 or more hours a day of multiplayer online FPS games.

Note: not even sure how many SSD's I should get as I don't want to go to less or to much to hurt "Performance"

I welcome all the feedback and insight I can get!!
so thank you in advance!!!

Here is what I have so far...

CASE: <---- 5 years old (my old system)
Corsair: Obsidian Series® 700D Full-Tower Case
Full Specs

Motherboard: <--- New
EVGA Z170 Classified K
Full Specs

GPU: <--- New
(2x) EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti CLASSIFIED GAMING ACX 2.0+ (in SLi)
Full Specs

Power Supply: <---- 1 year old (my old system)
Enermax: MAXREVO 1500W (115-240VAC) CrossFireX™
Full Specs

Other
Keyboard
Corsair: STRAFE RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard — Cherry MX Silent

Mouse
Microsoft: SideWinder Gaming Mouse <---- 5 years old (my old system)

Headset and Mic Combo
Sennheiser: GAME ONE PC Gaming Headset - Black

Don't have yet
cpu
ram
monitor
SSD

Thanks everyone for your input and support!

ReL0ad3r

What budget do you have for the remaining parts?

Never heard of that PSU, I would consider replacing it...

Enermax used to be a top flight PSU maker but I don't know what they are doing these days. I've owned one or two over the years and they never gave me problems.

We do need to know your budget as that will guide us in our recommendations.

We also need to know if you plan on overclocking the CPU. That will have a bearing on cooler recommendations.

Without question, the community here would recommend the Samsung Evo series for an SSD choice. Adata also makes some good SSDs. It is common for gamers to install a 240-256gb SSD for the OS and most used programs/games and add in a larger spinner hard drive for housing less used programs and data such as pictures and music.

For gaming, folks generally go with an i5 CPU. Again, if you will be overclocking the CPU you want to go with a "k" series CPU and look at a good aftermarket cooler.

GSkill Ram is the most popular brand in this community. Go for 8gb DDR4 3000. Choosing a RAM series with low profile heat sinks can be wise if you are looking at using a large aftermarket air cooler. Tall RAM heat sinks can present clearance problems in that scenario.

The question about the monitor boils down to how big and/or do you want to look at a 4k monitor or stick with 1080p. Going with a 4k might cause you to rethink the video card choice.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231935

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Another question that needs answering is, what games does he play? Different games place different demands on the CPU/GPU. Some are more CPU intensive and some really beg for the best possible GPU.

Last edited:
Regarding that Enermax...from JonnyGuru.com "Enermax continues to impress with this platform. Not only is it still one of the most powerful designs you can get in the North American market, it's awesome as all heck. Voltage regulation is very good, ripple suppression is unbelievable, and it's very efficient to boot. How can I not recommend something as awesome as this?"

I see now that Enermax was the PSU brand. The way the post was written written I read MAXREVO as the brand...

My Budget is open as long as I get the very best performance when playing multiplayer first person shooters.

Then go with a GTX 1080 video card if money is no object. Or two Radeon 480s in Crossfire X and a 4k monitor.

For that motherboard, the 6700k would be the best bang for your buck I'm pretty sure.

Also the gtx 1080 for gpu, and if money really isn't an issue you could now go for the new titan x, but that'll put you back 1300 usd.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard and seen nothing but great things about the Samsung 850 evos. I went and snagged a 1 tb for my games.

I used a 850 EVO in my build and love it. Great reputation and more than fast enough. My OS and games are on it. The only thing I might recommend different than previously suggested is 16 GB of RAM. Prices are good right now for the 3000 MHz to 3200 MHz "sweet spot" 16 GB kits. My GSkill TridentZ kit was under $90. Definite ditto on the GTX 1080 or two RX 480s. If budget allows I'd pick one 1080, though. Single card solution is always preferable if you can do it. For 4k you won't be able to set your games on "crazy ultra maxxed out" graphics with a single card, though. "Pretty darn high" will be in reach, however. :)

My Budget is open as long as I get the very best performance when playing multiplayer first person shooters.

That's going to be dependent on the GPU more than the CPU. Honestly, even an overclocked 3570k Corei5 is more than good enough to play any game in any resolution, and that processor is three years old. The difference between a middle grade corei5 that's overclocked and the absolute best corei7 that Intel makes is going to be extremely small. Maybe 1 FPS or so. You're going to be far better off getting a 1080 GPU and a middle grade corei5 and overclocking it. Blowing a ton of cash on an extremely high end CPU isint really going to make the game any better.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the gtx 1080 for gpu, and if money really isn't an issue you could now go for the new titan x, but that'll put you back 1300 usd.

- - - Updated - - -

Which makes zero sense because you can get two 1080s in SLI and they will vastly outperform the Titan X and they will cost less too.

That's going to be dependent on the GPU more than the CPU. Honestly, even an overclocked 3570k Corei5 is more than good enough to play any game in any resolution, and that processor is three years old. The difference between a middle grade corei5 that's overclocked and the absolute best corei7 that Intel makes is going to be extremely small. Maybe 1 FPS or so. You're going to be far better off getting a 1080 GPU and a middle grade corei5 and overclocking it. Blowing a ton of cash on an extremely high end CPU isint really going to make the game any better.

I can't think of a single reason to get a mediocre i5 from the OP's post. I didn't take "very best" to mean "good enough". While the 6700k may not outperform the i5 by a large margin gaming, it is better, and for many other tasks it is way more capable. If budget isn't a problem then I would vote to have that extra performance in reserve. Better to have it and not need it than wish you had gotten it instead. Then again, I got the 6700k when my budget was limited. That was where I chose to spend that money so I'm probably not impartial. LOL

First off let me start by saying hello to everyone as this is my first post here at Overclockers (been here many many times just as a reader only)
My Name is ReL0ad3r (joey)

BTW, Welcome to Overclockers!

Last edited:
Since you have budget...

You already have a good (and massive overkill) motherboard
Gskill trident Z 2x8gb ddr 3200mhz cl14/15
Enermax was hit or miss on their psus. Their max revolution line was solid, at the higher wattage models. He's set.. massive overkill again.
I would also go single 1080 which will pound through titles at 2560x1440.

Hopefully you didn't buy those parts in cash as you could have saved literally hundreds for the same performance.

Then go with a GTX 1080 video card if money is no object. Or two Radeon 480s in Crossfire X and a 4k monitor.

Thanks trents for the info, but I do alraedy have the EVGA 980 Ti infact I have two of them going into SLi :)

For that motherboard, the 6700k would be the best bang for your buck I'm pretty sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard and seen nothing but great things about the Samsung 850 evos. I went and snagged a 1 tb for my games.

Thanks for the info Haturee, I have 2 EVGA 980Ti already for this build as for SSD I was thinking of two M.2 PCIe's in Raid 0 what do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have budget...

You already have a good (and massive overkill) motherboard
Gskill trident Z 2x8gb ddr 3200mhz cl14/15
Enermax was hit or miss on their psus. Their max revolution line was solid, at the higher wattage models. He's set.. massive overkill again.
I would also go single 1080 which will pound through titles at 2560x1440.

Hopefully you didn't buy those parts in cash as you could have saved literally hundreds for the same performance.

funny you say that because I have 2 EVGA 980 Ti's because of RMA replacement for my 2 EVGA 660 Ti (lifetime) so no dollars for that and the same for the motherboard I had EVGA X58 Classified and they RMA me to Z170 Classified K so again no money and the PSU was also a RMA upgrade lol. so no bucks from me on that, but I will have to by new SSD and RAM and CPU with NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-in-One Liquid Cooling System

Im going to be pretty honest with you here...

This is an awesome system you want to build. That said, I have some concerns. Is this person you are giving the PC to going to be able to work with something like this? I say that because you went with 2 last gen cards, when one is fine. If you are looking for set it and forget it, SLI is not it. As far as R0 2 M.2 cards... again I ask why? Get a fast one like the OCZ RD 400 or Samsung 951. You are piling complexity on top of complexity for little reason or return performance wise. If this was me, I would go single m.2 SSD, and single 1080. When he goes 4K and that single isn't enough, then get another.

EDIT: Well if the board and cards were free!!!

I would still go single M.2, sell the 980Ti's and get a single 1080. lol

what do you all think about this...

I was thinking two Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD ( Part # MZ-V5P512BW) in Raid zero?
can I even do this with my motherboard?

Im going to be pretty honest with you here...

This is an awesome system you want to build. That said, I have some concerns. Is this person you are giving the PC to going to be able to work with something like this? I say that because you went with 2 last gen cards, when one is fine. If you are looking for set it and forget it, SLI is not it. As far as R0 2 M.2 cards... again I ask why? Get a fast one like the OCZ RD 400 or Samsung 951. You are piling complexity on top of complexity for little reason or return performance wise. If this was me, I would go single m.2 SSD, and single 1080. When he goes 4K and that single isn't enough, then get another.

EDIT: Well if the board and cards were free!!!

I would still go single M.2, sell the 980Ti's and get a single 1080. lol

FYI: he is me lol

I was looking for hours and hours last night for info on M.2 SSD, and this is what I found out:

With two large M.2 PCIe slots on my motherboard in Raid Zero is the best for gaming read and write speeds, so as you said "it's over kill" and you are very right and I reply by saying that is true today but in 6 months it won't be so my plan here is too not upgrade for many years if I can help it don't know as we are in the speed of light for technology these days lol

I think 2 M.2 is for sure unnecessary, I can't say 1 is a terrible idea though, as I also bought a Samsung 950 512Gb M.2
Everything I seen about it has been pure amazing. Top notch. Instead of trying to get another one of those I just bought
a 1Tb 850 Evo for around the same price as the M.2, and that will be more than plenty. With 2 4tb HDDs for BS storage.

If you have the money to spend, that is the route I would take, and if you feel you need more SSD The 850 evo also comes in 2Tb
But for a little over 600$ at this time, I didn't thank that was worth it for me.

I can't answer your question about RAID because I'm not well educated in that area at this moment.

For 4k gaming, I agree you should up to the 1080 if money is no concern, my original plan was to run 2 1080s in my rig,
Just because I am going all out, Right now I have 1 1080 in it instead, with plans to move it to my secondary rig once the
1080 Ti comes out. Where again I plan on running 2.

Also, it is way over kill and super unnecessary, yes, SPL Tech has mentioned. But if you have the money, why not right?
There are always a couple routes you can take, One with compromise and one without, I chose without. It's all up to you man.
I'm sure it will end up amazing either way :)

Back