• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best program to restore old photos.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

I have a few old photos that I have scanned but I'm not sure where to start when it comes to restoring them.

For example one photo has a big crease line where the photo has been folded and part of the same photo has been exposed to direct sunlight for a length of time so it is suffering some discolouration.

The only program I have tried so far is AKVIS retoucher but it is useless.

So any advice on what software (freeware or paid) to get would be great. Thanks :thup:

Well there is always Photoshop. Probably the best all around photo manipulation software. You'll be able to restore color, take away creases and dust marks, and pretty much anything you need to do. If you have a scanned Image you can private message it to me and I'll see what I can do to show you how it works?

If you want free, GIMP is a good option and cross platform. Not quite as robust as Photoshop, but you can still do a lot in it.

if the person buys photoshop legit.. probably much cheaper to take it into a photo lab and have them done professionally

Photoshop is the industry standard for image manipulation. If you've never seen it before it can be intimidating and will require some learning. Lots of tutorials and help on line.

Photoshop is not cheap and will require some investment in time and learning. If you don't have a lot of photos to do and will never see yourself doing anything like this again, it might be worth it to get someone to do it for you. Having said that, as with anything, the knowledge you gain can be very useful.

Back