• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

=[[Best RAID in Your Opinion]]=

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kenji

Registered
What is the best raid in your opinion. Something for home use which would require high read and write and be fault tolorent. In my opinion RAID 5 would take the cake. I am a gamer so high read speed is important. I also have alot of data moving around and stored which is really important to me. If anyone knows a raid that would work better for this situation please do tell.

whats your choice?

PS: my opinion is baised of of the information from here:
http://www.acnc.com/04_01_03.html

Last edited:
raid-5 is good for stripping and parity but it has big penalty for writing small portions.

If you write a block which is less then the stripe size the speed will be half the speed of a single drive.

If you write block bigger then (N-1)*stripe size the speed will be (N-1)*drive speed. In the case of 4 drives it will be 3 times faster then single drive.

So if your moving data is less then 3*stripe size you will have big penalties.

Another option to consider is stripe + mirroring.
You need 4 drives and the size is the size of 2 dirves. (raid-5 will be the size of 3 drives).
So you will have less size but it doesn't have any penalty for writing small blocks.
Also the write speed is less - it is only twice of a single drive.

Let me compare them here for 4 drives of 100GB and speed 50MB/s and stripe size of 16kb:

raid 0+1
capacity: 200GB
read speed of block bigger then 64kb: 200 MB/s (it reads from all 4 drives)
read speed of block smaller then 16kb: 50 MB/s
write speed of block bigger then 32kb: 100 MB/s
write speed of block smaller then 16kb: 50 MB/s

raid-5
capacity: 300GB
read speed of block bigger then 64kb: 200 MB/s
read speed of block smaller then 16kb: 50 MB/s
write speed of block bigger then 48kb: 150 MB/s
write speed of block smaller then 16kb: 25 MB/s

Hope this is more helpful then confusing...

Also raid-5 requires more expensive card...

Last edited:
I'm sorry Pla, those numbers are just theory, RAID 5 blows in writing at all speeds. A 5400rpm laptop HDD on ATA66 will write faster (from 1k to 10mb files) than 4, 10k U3 SCSI drives in RAID 5 with a 256mb controller.
The test setup was on a compaq DL380 with dual 2.4 xeons and a gig of PC2100 ECC.

And that is with over 1000 bucks in disk drives! 4 IDE 8mb 80gb ATA133 maxtors in a 4 channel controller will peak around 3-4mb/s write speed. With a RocketRAID 404 controller on a 2.4ghz Tbred and memory at 220mhz FSB (again my personaly first hand results).

For home use I would get 2 raptors run em in RAID 0 and use windows XP backup utility to backup your drives at night onto a cheap 80gb IDE drive. That will give you excellent performance, or if you got even mroe cash get 2 U3 15k SCSI drives in a RAID 0 and back em up to a inexpnsive IDE drive.

Yes it was just the theory.

ajrettke - thanks for sharing your experience.

I knew that reality will be less then the theory but didn't even think it could be that bad...

heh your telling me, i read up and thought...damn raid 5 would be sweet...I bought that IDE setup thinking to run RAID 5....kinda ****ty, I tested the SCSI a couple months later at work. The SCSI really wasn't that bad since most stuff done with servers is reading and not writing, which both IDE and SCSI RAID 5 was very close to RAID 0 performance. But SCSI RAID 5 is outragously expsnive, and IDE RAID 5 is very dissapointing.

Back