• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best software to rip blu-ray

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmdixon85

Ok so I'm getting a Blu-Ray drive for my PC this Xmas so now I am hoping to put my collection of blu-ray films onto my fileserver (atleast some of them until HDD prices come back down :bang head)

After a quick search online for the best software to do this most articles are rather outdated or directs to paid for software.

Paying for the software is not a problem, but if there are some good freeware programs that would be a bonus.

Any advice/tips appreciated :)

It depends a bit on how much fiddling about you want to do.

Simplest is probably MakeMKV, which will either allow you to remux all the stuff from the Blu-Ray to an MKV file, or simply decrypt and copy the Blu-Ray folder structure allowing you to play the folder as if it were a Blu-Ray disc.

EDIT: Aw, seems someone was faster than me.

Cheers :)

Seems the best option for me. It should also work with the "My Movies" software I use on my server and WMC.

When using MakeMKV is there any compression used or is it a direct rip?

Also can you choose to just rip the movie and take out the extras? (like you can with DVDshrink)

It is a direct rip with no compression, and yes, you can pick which titles you want.

Thanks. Just what I was looking for!

Now Just need them HDD's to come down in price! no way am I paying £100 for something I payed £45 for last year!

You should use MakeMKV for the ripping tool and then run it through Handbrake to compress. Otherwise, you will end up with massive videos.

You should use MakeMKV for the ripping tool and then run it through Handbrake to compress. Otherwise, you will end up with massive videos.

Any advice on what settings to use with handbrake? The videos will be played back on a 1080p 50inch plasma.

Since the videos are higher resolution, you can actually get away with a higher compression without losing any visible quality. The main goal for my movies was quality first (audio/video), then size. Size isn't a concern with the large server space I have.

I'm not sure why, but the Linux version of Handbrake worked much better for me than the Windows version. So, I ripped in Windows with MakeMKV, then went back to my main OS (Fedora 14) and did the conversions.

Handbrake:
Container: MKV
Video tab: Constant quality: 20 for DVD, 22 for Bluray
Audio tab: You will need to play with this, but the default worked most of the time.

After that, I reviewed each movie to make sure there were no issues rendering, specifically audio. There were a few movies that had an issue with the default setting, so I had to go back and do them over again.

Since the videos are higher resolution, you can actually get away with a higher compression without losing any visible quality. The main goal for my movies was quality first (audio/video), then size. Size isn't a concern with the large server space I have.

I'm not sure why, but the Linux version of Handbrake worked much better for me than the Windows version. So, I ripped in Windows with MakeMKV, then went back to my main OS (Fedora 14) and did the conversions.

Handbrake:
Container: MKV
Video tab: Constant quality: 20 for DVD, 22 for Bluray
Audio tab: You will need to play with this, but the default worked most of the time.

After that, I reviewed each movie to make sure there were no issues rendering, specifically audio. There were a few movies that had an issue with the default setting, so I had to go back and do them over again.

this single post is forum gold.

Well I got the drive installed (finally got back home) and now I've hit a problem.

I cant even play a blueraydisc on my pc :( I thought having the sharky codec package would allow me to simply use WMC.

So any advice on a good program to playback the discs? Freeware being a bunos :)

Why not rip it to the drive and play it with whatever can read MKV files? :eh?:

Once ripped, VLC will pretty much play anything.

Well makeMVK has came up with multiple titles on the first disc I have tried to copy. Would be much better if I could confirm the title to be coppied on the pc rather than putting my disc in the blueray player on the TV downstairs.

I always pick the one with the most chapters and review it afterwards. Otherwise, you are likely going to have to pay for a program to read it and they aren't exactly cheap (compared to guessing for free). I've done over 31 Blurays and haven't had an issue.

I use ImgBurn which is free and excellent, and AnyDVD which is not free and better than excellent. AnyDVD has options for discs once they're mounted like the ability to skip previews etc.

I don't bother with compression of any sort. HDDs are still cheap enough and compressing a blu-ray just makes me sad inside. :(

Plus, it's easier :D

I used to use ArcSoft TMT software, and it worked pretty good with BDs. Then I found it wasn't free, so I dropped it.

Now, what I do when I buy movies from blahdvd is opening it, ripping the movie to my NAS, putting the movie back in the case and throwing it to a shelf :3. Never to be used again (if I don't lose the rips).

I don't bother with compression of any sort. HDDs are still cheap enough and compressing a blu-ray just makes me sad inside. :(

Plus, it's easier :D
That doesn't make any sense. Run it through Handbrake with a quality setting of 22 and you will not be able to tell the difference quality wise. I tested this for myself using different compression levels, as well. You are literally wasting space.

DVDFab works great... As suggested above, I rip everything to .ISO and store on a RAID library for instant access and viewing on my TV.

Well I decided to just buy PowerDVD11 to play back the blurays.

Just ripping StarTrek (2009).....Ripping speed seems rather low (around 10 - 13MB's) This is going to take alot longer than ripping my DVD's :(

Last edited:
DVDFab works great... As suggested above, I rip everything to .ISO and store on a RAID library for instant access and viewing on my TV.

Total noob here. But how can you read it off the iso? Don't iso' have to be written to a cd/DVD/bluray to be usable?

I am hoping to get into this because I have the entire stargate collection on DVD and want to have it all playable on my hardrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back