• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best software to rip blu-ray

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be able to use virtual drives to mount blu-ray .iso files for playback. I do that with CDs and DVDs, like burning .iso files of games to use them for reinstalling so games install quicker than from the CD/DVD.

Well I decided to just buy PowerDVD11 to play back th blurays.

Just ripping StarTrek (2009).....Ripping speed seems rather low (around 10 - 13MB's) This is going to take alot longer than ripping my DVD's :(
Yes, well Blu-Rays are a lot bigger than DVDs but not that much faster. 1x for Blu-Ray is defined as 4.29 MB/s (about three times faster than a DVD).

That doesn't make any sense. Run it through Handbrake with a quality setting of 22 and you will not be able to tell the difference quality wise. I tested this for myself using different compression levels, as well. You are literally wasting space.

I literally believe you but how long does it take to run through handbrake? I'm guessing a good deal of time. How much space are you saving at setting of 22, percentage wise. A typical Blu-Ray is around 48GB(though some are much less)

I'm guessing the time and effort isn't worth the value of the HDD space to me given how ridiculously cheap storage is. Those brand new cutting edge 4TB drives are $320.

JMD,

An uncompressed rip in IMGburn for a 48GB disc takes me about an hour.

Just ripping StarTrek (2009).....Ripping speed seems rather low (around 10 - 13MB's) This is going to take alot longer than ripping my DVD's :(
That is the speed I was getting as well. It isn't too bad if you are doing something else at the same time.

I literally believe you but how long does it take to run through handbrake? I'm guessing a good deal of time. How much space are you saving at setting of 22, percentage wise. A typical Blu-Ray is around 48GB(though some are much less)

I'm guessing the time and effort isn't worth the value of the HDD space to me given how ridiculously cheap storage is. Those brand new cutting edge 4TB drives are $320.

JMD,

An uncompressed rip in IMGburn for a 48GB disc takes me about an hour.
Compressing the video took around an hour per bluray movie and half that for a DVD using the system in my signature. I even have 14 TB of space on my server and I compress videos. No use in wasting the space I have. Depending on the movie, the end file can be 2-10 GB in size. Cell shaded movies (like Disney ones) compress down to 2 GB or so and ones with a lot of action (Avatar, for example) are on the high end.

Well I decided to just buy PowerDVD11 to play back th blurays.

And how's PowerDVD11 going? Can you play ALL your Blu-rays?

I downloaded PowerDVD11 and ArcSoft TMT a long time ago to try the Blu-ray playback function and they didn't work for me. Had some problems playing some BD discs (I think they were from Warner, because of somekind of DRM).

Txus I've had great luck with AnyDVD and PowerDVD10. I remember True Blood being a problem and then a week later a new version of AnyDVD came out and I was fine.

Cliffs: You might have problems with really, really dumb TV shows.

Total noob here. But how can you read it off the iso? Don't iso' have to be written to a cd/DVD/bluray to be usable?

I am hoping to get into this because I have the entire stargate collection on DVD and want to have it all playable on my hardrive.

VLC player will play .ISO no problem. No need to mount a virtual drive etc...

I have my external RAID storage connected to my computer via eSATA and to a Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player via USB2.0 which is connected to my Denon reciever through HDMI which is also connected to my TV through HDMI.

The Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player has a ton of functionality and will play a lot of formats including .ISO.

And how's PowerDVD11 going? Can you play ALL your Blu-rays?

I downloaded PowerDVD11 and ArcSoft TMT a long time ago to try the Blu-ray playback function and they didn't work for me. Had some problems playing some BD discs (I think they were from Warner, because of somekind of DRM).

Gone through around 15 discs and PowerDVD has played them just fine. :)

I am just having problems with Handbrake :( When I go to select the input file the program will just stop responding :bang head

I am going to rip all of my films then try to use mediacoder instead.

You are ripping them with MakeMKV first, right? If so, can VLC play the uncompressed video?

What version of Handbrake are you running and on what OS? I found the Linux version of Handbrake to be far superior to the Windows one.

Thanks for the answer to my noob question everyone. now ignore me and get back to the OP and his questions. :D

You are ripping them with MakeMKV first, right? If so, can VLC play the uncompressed video?

What version of Handbrake are you running and on what OS? I found the Linux version of Handbrake to be far superior to the Windows one.

I am trying to use the Windows version on Win7 Ultimate x64. As soon as I go into the folder where the blurays are ripped when trying to import the video files into handbrake it just stops responding.

I am currently away from home but I will RDP into my machine and try mediacoder when I get a chance. If that does not work I will set up an Ubuntu VM and try handbrake on that.

EDIT: Havn't tried playing the file with VLC, but WMP plays them fine.

Last edited:
Try to grab the nightly release off their site. I had some lockup issues when using the Windows version.

Try to grab the nightly release off their site. I had some lockup issues when using the Windows version.

Cheers Thid, trying that now.

Mediacoder has way to many settings for me to be comfortable using it :(

EDIT: Got the latest nightly release, and its actually working :thup: Just re-encoding Avatar now.

HDDs are still cheap enough ...

And where are you buying your HDDs? I used to be able to get a 1TB WD Caviar Black for $75 on Newegg. Now, minimum $140+Shipping. Ever since that flooding in Thailand HDD shot up prices, they haven't come down a whole lot.

Sorry for the off topic reply. I'm glad I stumbled upon this because my DVD-Bluray collection is growing largely. Need to fill up my homeserver and throw them in the attic :)

for me i can say i did nothing but 1080 at one point, i always thought 720 i would see a difference. and frankly,.... i dont i only do 720P now, half the size and no difference i can see, NOW i will say i got Tron, in all it's almost 50G rawness and it is phenomenal in detail!

I'm closing this thread since it seems to attract spammers often. -thid

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back