• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thermal paste these days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

So I've been using the same tube of MX-4 for many years now but the tube is running low and needs replacement. I don't see as much chatter about paste as I used to so is the same old stuff still good or is there a particular type that stands out these days?

The Toms is a little old and I was hoping for some up to date info. While Google is always good, it is the internet after all so I take most comparisons with a grain of salt. I was hoping to get some opinions from members.

Thanks, had not seen the SPCR one though. Good to know my trusty MX-4 is still holding up well.

Yeah. I get that. I just pulled the two from the top that I trust as sources. The last one from us is in 2004. The one from tom's may be long in the tooth but I still think it's valid. SPCR is a source that I've used for many years. I'm still on an old tube of stuff I got several years ago. I haven't purchased any in a long time. hopefully you get a more specific response.

I really like Thermalright TF8. They make one step up called TFX, but I went with a 6 gram tube of the middle of the road stuff. On paper it’s slightly better than the TG stuff, but I haven’t used it.

Yep mx4 is still the best value. I use it for everything but my own rig. I like to branch out some and try the high end stuff on my rigs, well, just cuz. Right now im using prolimatech pk3 its really good. Right up there with thermal grizzly. Tf8 is also really solid. Im going to give something else a try next time i need a new tube o paste but i always keep a big tube of mx4 in my toolbox for generic stuff regardless. You can never have enough thermal paste!

The new kid on the block is Kryonaut. I read good things about their pastes. If I were to come out of retirement I would get a Kryonaut. Otherwise, I'll stick with Gelid GC Xtreme.

You might as well come out of retirement. You know you want to. There are questions that need to be answered, and no one wants to put the time in. Everybody says theirs is the best, and they believe it too, but no one really knows.. I’ve tried 4 Tim’s in the last 2 years, so I know what works best for me out of those four, but what works for me might not work for someone else. Same goes for their paste.. they might like it but I might not have seen the same results.

I was hoping to get some opinions from members.
The problem with this is the lack of empirical testing. Person A could sy they like brand X better than brand Y...but the reality is, the temperature difference is negligible. Getting your application amd mount right means more than the paste in most cases.

Hello,
There are some best thermal paste these days:
ThermalCoolFlux Thermal Paste.
Arctic Silver 5.
Noctua Thermal Paste.
Cooler Master Thermal Paste.
Thermaltake TG-7.
AS5 is MEH, likely some of those others too.. See the links from earlier. :)

Last edited:
The problem with this is the lack of empirical testing. Person A could sy they like brand X better than brand Y...but the reality is, the temperature difference is negligible. Getting your application amd mount right means more than the paste in most cases.
True but when I shop I look at both reviews and opinions of users for the best information. Reviews can be easily paid for and influenced and personal usage can get a fanboy effect. Generally if I take personal opinions mixed with professional reviews and user reviews/ratings I get a fair understanding of what is working best in a certain product.

With thermal paste, I'd lean MUCH more heavily on empirical reviews than users. User information is good for DOA type things... but most of the problems we see on newegg or amazon or w/e are user caused due to a lack of knowledge... so, I stay away from most user reviews. :)

I disagree that reviews can be 'easily paid for' and skewed, in particular large roundups like was linked earlier in the thread.

Again, I know it's older, but your mount and TIM application is more important than the 1C difference between product A and product B. What I DO take away from personal experience is the viscosity of the product and how easy/difficult is to spread/use. Otherwise, yes, I dismiss an overwhelming majority of user results because quite simply, they just aren't done correctly. :)

That said, I have a turkey baster size of MX-4 (for CPU/Mobo testing) and I use ThermoGrizzly Kryonaut for my personal stuff. The metal pastes aren't typically worth the couple of degrees C it cools better (IF you got your application and mount right) over the cost of middle of the road pastes.

I recommend MX4 to most people.
What I use personally differs however.
I'm a nano-diamond user.
Antec Formula 6/7 for the last 10 years.
Recently go some IC diamond.
That **** is hard to spread, but does an ok job.

AS5 was really good like in 2006 or something.
I find it no better than TG7 myself.
Not so great for thermal transfer imo.

The issue IS directly related to the paste. Even the Antec paste does that.

However I've been using it on a naked die.

The scoring or scratching comes mostly from just wiping it off or movement of the heat sink.

Obviously abrasives are the worst in motion.

But yeah, not a big fan of IC diamond, I got the stuff free to try it out.
Thermally, it ain't half bad.

If you are not “Benching” and want that last ~50mhz almost any paste will do. The difference between AS5 and the top 5 is less than 2c. With that said, I like Gelid extreme and Kingpin TIMs.

If you are not “Benching” and want that last ~50mhz almost any paste will do. The difference between AS5 and the top 5 is less than 2c. With that said, I like Gelid extreme and Kingpin TIMs.

2c? Try closer to 5c if not more. At least in my experience with lidless chips.

But alas I havent used As5 in probably 8 years or more once I made that discovery on naked Phenom Agena core chips. Never went back since then.

Edit...

Let me also mention that As5 has a burn in period, initial temps are not reflective of the pastes ability.

True that. I stick with MX2 or MX4 just from having a ton of it lying around

Back