• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thermal paste these days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What makes the different pastes better than another? Also, I guess MX5 is new? I've been looking for new paste and I haven't tried anything other than arctic silver from a decade ago. ALso looking at grizzly kryonaut. anyone here use grizzly with an AIO cooler? apparently grizzly is best for liquid cooling?

The ingredients are different.

There really isn't a bug difference between pastes...a couple of C. Pick one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg that works well and you'll be fine. :)

MX5 or anything from Noctua is more than fine. The difference between something like MX5 and Grizzly Kryonaut is like ~1-2°C under load, when the CPU/GPU already has ~80°C.
Grizzly isn't the best but let's say it's one of the best options and widely available. More exotic things like Streacom TX13 or some other new TIMs are slightly better but also good luck finding it in any popular store. Again, at this point, you won't see the difference, even in tests. For example, I'm generally using Noctua NT-H1 or NT-H2. H2 gave me results about the same as Kryonaut when I was testing it on my rigs. H1 is slightly worse but also can't complain. MX5 will be a bit better than Noctua NT-H1 but worse than the NT-H2.
I guess the only difference where you should pick the best TIM is overclocking on very low temps. It's because more standard TIMs will crack below about -30°C. For daily usage, I would pick something that spreads well and isn't overpriced so MX5 is just right.

All mentioned TIMs don't have to be replaced in 7-10 years. Most older TIMs like Arctic Silver will dry in about 1-2 years.

I am using SYY-157, it is excellent. My fave is TFX so far.. but for the price, SYY has been getting my monies. I have smeared though about 30 grams already, good stuff.

Alright so after an excessive and probably unnecessary amount of reading, I had decided upon MX-5.

Why? Because MX-5 Amazon listing shows that its cooling capabilities is 2nd only to Kryonaut. However, I've also run into a lot of bad things about Kryonaut recalling a bad batch this year which ruined a lot of people's Ryzen CPU. I wasn't sure how the mfg were handlnig the recall and whether a bad batch is still floating around. I didn't want to gamble my CPU just to a negligible amount of temperature.

Found a YouTuber testing out MX-5 and Kryonaut and found that they indeed were barely 1C apart from one another.

So, I chose MX-5 because of its recognizable brand and is very very often cited by users. Its reliability and ease of spreading the stuff over the...."die" I think it's called? It's also cost efficient and they claim 8 years of use.

Back