• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best USB hub for assortment of hard drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lowella

Hey all,

I have 15 or so different hard drives I sub in & out of my workstation. I have 4 extra SATA drives on a SATA expansion card in my workstation, an external unit that holds 4 drives, and a bunch of random single unit external enclosures. All are USB2 but the drives are an assortment of IDE & SATA 1&2.

I have had increasing problems lately and cannot even see them all now. I am using a Belkin 7-port hub and suspect that is a partial culprit since the single drives can be hooked up and seen fine on my wife's PC. This hub causes my PC to take over 2 hours to boot when it is plugged in, and still only sees half the drives plugged into it. I replaced it with a new identical one because I had the old one for 2 years and it worked great, but I'm getting the same results. I have tried changing variables such as UDMA6 --> 5 on some drives etc. but it hasn't helped.

Punchline: Does anyone have experience with a decent 7+ port USB hub that will see just about anything I plug in to it? Or if you have any other ideas or comments on my setup I'm all ears. Many thanks!

ah power

PS should've mentioned it's an AC powered hub. Does that help? :) The source of the problem doesn't even bother me that much, I'm more intent on buying something better if anyone knows of anything that works for this many drives at once.

Thanks!

JamesXP said:
Probably drawing to much power from the hub/port.

that would have absolutely nothing to do with it. If a device draws too much power *usually* the whole usb root gets turned off to prevent overloading the circuitry. So none of the drives would operate. This is not really much of a problem normally because almost all GOOD usb hubs are powered

Back