• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Video Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ok first off they are both pretty good cards. This is my opinion. Go for the 9800 256mb over the 5900. The 5900 is about an inch longer then the ati card. and takes up 2 pci slots. Also for games the IQ is better for ATI but Nvidia is getting close behind. The nvidia card will only beat ati with no af and aa on but once the af and aa is on the ATI will own the Nvidia card so its mostly up to the buyer what he wants to get. But that is my opinion for why you should get the ati 9800 256mb over the 5900.

also the only way nvidia is getting closer to ati is making there card very big to pack a lot of stuff that still won't beat a smaller card.

Im sorry to be so padantic, however I think its important that people know as much information about things they consider buying as possible, I mean if you were told that one was better than the other, and then shelled out for it only to find that performance was contary to that then you wouldnt be very happy, I can tell you that I wouldnt.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of disagreement as it means that people who read this will know the ramifications of each card, and then can inform others on this information so I dont think this has been a waste of time, just a misunderstanding.

sometimes if someone has a small case the size might matter. I have heard user reviews that the gffx cards get in the way of the hdd cables. And why waste two pci slots for a video card.

And for an additional two cents worth.
I also stepped away from the nvidia crowd and purchased the Crucial 9700pro which numerous reviews recommended. I was tired of waiting on the 5800 ultra and wanted something special for my new rig. The first card refused to work. Auto crashing and lock ups. Returned that one and got a replacement which rendered about 15 seconds of a gorgeous Jedi Knight II only to crash and never resurface. Calls to tech support at both revealed nothing and Crucial refunded my money. By this time The Utra was available. I've built several rigs and upgraded vid cards numerous times and have never had the trouble I experienced with this card. The frustrating part was that no one could tell me why it didn't work. Obviously they perform outstanding for some.
I think if one were to wait until the games that these cards are designed for are released, the prices will be very competitive. The market place wil demand it. I'd recommend the least expensive alternative and then upgrade when the price is right. And I have to agree, it's not life and death.

Another $.02 worth, if it's needed...
I have been an avid Nvidia fan since the MX200 and couldn't step back into an ATI card for any reason........until now.
Taking everyones (well, almost everyones) opinion, i dumped the FX5200, and 5200 ultra, and grabbed a 5800. Bad decision. every g-card iv'e put in this beast from nvidia has ceased to work after only a week or so, except for my trusty old decrepid looking PNY GF4-420. So, i guess i'm gonna go ahead and jump on the ATI bandwagon, after quite a few years (my last ati card was an all in wonder with 8megs and probably around 25 clocks or so. pretty fast for 1996). Oh well, guess i'll go an look on newegg for a refurb, since the budget is bad until the 5800 goes back (-sigh-)LOL

I think Ti 4600 should be fine for anything thats out now. By the time new generation games come out, the prices on the top video cards will drop by as much as $100.

OK, new dilema.......
in my search, i found an OEM all in wonder 8500 agp 128MB refurb for $135.00, but it doesn't come with ANYTHING but the card (no DVI to vga adapter, remote, software, in and out connectors, etc). would it be feasable to just get the card, get the drivers off the net, and find a DVI/vga adapter? or is it better to go with a slower card that has what i need (I love my trinitron 20se/ge monitor, cuz its just so damn heavy, no one would steal it and get away from a snail)......

Back