• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to clean out case after mod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moddork

Registered
I've recently cut a few extra fan holes and window in my case. So the inside of my case is covered in tiny little metal dust flakes. I've wiped it down and blown it out with a can of air, but there's still residue left inside. I'm afraid to install any of my hardware yet. What's the best way to clean out your case based on your experiences?

im not sure what i would do it that was still in there..

take it outside and spray it down?

z0n3 said:
I use an air compressor, rag, and magnet to clean up after mods.

Stupid question, would a simple refrigerator magnet work?

CrackerD|ce said:
the cheapo way would be just get some tape and use it to pick up, multiple pieces of tape may be needed.

I'd still be afraid to miss some. I think I'm being overly paranoid about this, lol.

techun said:
im not sure what i would do it that was still in there..

take it outside and spray it down?

Hmm, good idea, only I live in an apartment and don't have access to a hose.

moddork said:
Hmm, good idea, only I live in an apartment and don't have access to a hose.
I've stuck mine in the shower before, the chassis only, with the front and side panels removed. I think a wet rag should be good enough, after you've blown all the big pieces out.

moddork said:
Stupid question, would a simple refrigerator magnet work?
For the dust yes. If you get out the larger pieces with the air compressor and rag a refrigerator magnet should be adequate.

The big pieces are definitely out, it was just the little dusty metal flakes left over that I had a hard time removing. I will try the magnet trick as well as spraying out the case to make it is clear of any tiny metal flakes.

Back