• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to find out which fan is making noise ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

Check my rig specs to see all my parts I have. Theirs a fan making a odd noise not always but often enough. I have two 120mm case fans one in front and the one in the back. I do have video card that has two fans on it and a psu that has one fan too. The the last fan is the 120mm Noctua’s cpu fan. I'm planning disconnecting one fan at a time.

Any danger of disconnecting fans ? Should I disconnect first then turn on the PC ? I'm not planing to play any games or do anything that's demanding by the way.

You could just unplug all the case fans, first and rule them out. I have found a lot of the time it's the fans on the video card. Pull it out and use your on board video. But you're going about it the right way. Trial and error,

A lot of times, you can manually spin the fans and the one with bad bearings would be obvious. Adding a drop of oil can buy you some time until the new fan arrives.

If they're 4-pin PWM fans, you should be able to turn them off with software. If not, I'd just unplug them with the PC on. Probably not the way to do it 'by the book,' but it's better than sticking your finger on the blades to stop the fan from running to see if it's making noise (guilty, I've done it!).

I use the easy method, stick my finger in it. DONT jus jam it in, slowly do it :) but try unpluggin one at a time first, its just safer.

Best way is to turn off the PC and spin each fan by hand to see what fan is stiff. If you unplug a fan while the PC is on, you'll get an alarm from the MB :)

Back