• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to RAID these drives...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karossii

Registered
I got myself to thinking about the various drives I am using right now in my system (7 in all), and would like to have at least a few in a RAID setup for a bit of security and possibly a performance increase (though not sure much of one would be seen).

I have the following drives;
  • 120GB Agility3 SSD - 37.4/111 GB free - system drive + adobeCS5
  • 80GB 5400RPM hdd - (?/? free) - backup install of Win7 (no currently plugged into the sata)
  • 250GB 7200RPM hdd - 212/232 GB free - used as a scratch volume and paging file volume
  • 480GB 7200RPM hdd - 452/452 GB free - blank
  • 640GB 5400RPM hdd - 251/596 GB free - used as a secondary apps drive (for all apps not on the system ssd)
  • 1TB 7200RPM hdd - 104/931 GB free - media files (music, dvd backups, etc)
  • 1TB 7200RPM hdd - 356/931 GB free - documents (various video editing projects, text files, images, flash projects, etc.)

I was thinking of maybe partitioning the two 1TB drives into 4 480GB drives, then use those plus the physical 480 in a RAID config...

I am also considering partitioning the 250 into 4 60GB drives, then the SSD into two 60GB drives, and use the 4 + half the SSD as a RAID, and allow the other half of the SSD as a cache drive for SRT...

not sure, am open to any other suggestions too... I may just leave well enough alone; it is all working for me now, and would be a huge project to backup/move data from the drives (all except the 250GB and 480GB are between 60-90% full) to reformat them into any kind of RAID...

The only ones that seem to match are the 1 TB drives. RAID 0 for speed (no redundancy) and RAID 1 for redundancy.

While you can RAID the mismatched drives, you are going to be limited by the smallest one. So, if you RAID the 480 GB drive with a 1 TB drive, you would completely lose access to excess 520 GB on the 1 TB drive. Not to mention speed issues or it simply not working. When you put drives in a RAID array, you want them to be the same model, and at very least, the same size.

You would be better off getting more of the 1 TB drives or buying 2 TB drives and putting those in a RAID array.

I was under the impression that if I created smaller, matched-size volumes, I could RAID the volumes regardless of the actual drive's capacity - am I mistaken in that?

You can RAID partitions with pure software RAID (such as mdadm in Linux), and I'm unsure as to whether Windows allows this. I know for sure that on-board and full hardware RAID controllers do not allow this.

Back