• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to read saved text message XML backup files ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
So the various text message backup programs backup your messages in .xml format.

.xml files can be opened with anything from freeware apps to Excel.

But it is very difficult to read. Is there a program that does a better job of reading .xml files? One that actually has Word Wrap so you can read the entire backed up text message on your PC?

Tried Chrome, Firefox, other plug-ins. All display backed up .xml text messages like crap.

I then opened it in Excel, selected unnecessary columns and deleted them. Then selected the column containing actual text and Right clicked > Format Cells... > Alignment TAB > Under Text control CHECK: Wrap text > OK

That made it readable. Pretty incredible there is no way to backup Text Messages and open the backed up file to view it and make sense of it.

It's like reading the book with no paragraphs front to back, everything is one single sentence :screwy:

Guess I've never backed up and looked at a text message dump, I'm not sure what the format would be, but I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to write something that parses it yourself. I figured that there would be dozens out there already.
I guess different phones/OS have different formats, maybe give http://sourceforge.net/projects/smsbackupreader/ a try if you're an Android user.

I need them on the PC, on Android, you can simply restore messages, no problem.

They can be read on PC, I'm just surprised there's no way to kind of view it in an easy-to-view kind of style...

Guess I've never backed up and looked at a text message dump, I'm not sure what the format would be, but I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to write something that parses it yourself. I figured that there would be dozens out there already.
I guess different phones/OS have different formats, maybe give Android test backup program a try if you're an Android user.

You are right ,the different phones/OS have different formats, so you need to choose according to their own mobile phone models suitable for backup plan

Last edited:
Back