• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Z77 motherboard to replace a faulty ASRock Extreme 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MakoShark

Registered
I've got an ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and one of the SATA ports seems to be faulty. When I was using it a while ago for my main HDD, I was getting errors in Event Viewer (can't remember exactly the error) and the activity light would become fixed on even though there wasn't constant activity. Last weekend I connected my new SSD to it and when trying to run the migration tool to the SSD, Windows would completely freeze (mouse too). Everything seems to work fine in the other ports.

I've been offered a refund if I return the board (they don't have any replacements in stock) so I was thinking I might as well upgrade to something a bit better, especially since prices have come down a bit on Z77 boards now.

The only requirements I can think of:
  • Overclocks fairly well
  • 8 SATA ports
  • eSATA
  • Supports a Noctua NH-D14 (planning to get one when I get the new motherboard)

I was thinking of:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

Different sites like different boards...

It all depends on what you want in a board...

Personally, my first criteria is a board with good spacing between the video card slots so that, if I were to purchase an aftermarket video card cooler, there's room for it.

Then I worry about the other stuff. That's because I tend to add a second card later and if I get the right slot spacing first, it won't cook the other one by blocking its airflow. Then I look at overclocking and the like. (just my personal preference)

I like the overclocking I've achieved with MSI boards and have had no problems with any of the following:

MSI P67A-GD65 (3) (1 was recalled by Intel. Not MSI's fault))
MSI Z68A-GD65 (2)
MSI P77A-GD65(2)

I do agree that Asus makes a great board. I was able to overclock my Q9650 almost 50% with the P5Q Pro Turbo.

Last edited:
Any of the three you'ven pointed would be good.

Pick the cheapest, unless your really need e-sata!

I think I'll go for the P8Z77-V actually. It is only slightly more than the Extreme 6 and apparently has better quality mosfets and other components. I don't think the PRO is worth the extra cost so I'll just buy an eSATA PCIe card.

Will I need to do a clean install of Windows for changing the motherboard to the P8Z77-V?

Same chipset, so you should be fine.

I'd go with Asrock.

Power delivery section is pretty good.

Same chipset, so you should be fine.

I'd go with Asrock.

Power delivery section is pretty good.

I thought there was a problem with the extreme 4 and extreme 6 where they apply a higher voltage than you set and is reported? Don't they also use analogue VRM but claim to be digital? Or do those not really matter for standard overclocking?

Where you are overclocking, it doesn't matter.

Thte sabertooth, though a solid board, is not worth the price for sure.

Where you are overclocking, it doesn't matter.

Thte sabertooth, though a solid board, is not worth the price for sure.

Thought as much. Having just read a little bit more about the vrm and mosfets thing, it seems like the complaints were generally flawed and exaggerated anyway.

I can afford the P8Z77-V easily enough, but there's no point spending more money than I need to if it really doesn't have any worthwhile advantage over the extreme 6.

Back