• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better cooling for HD6950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hello people,

Normally i dont play alot of games, but lately i'v gotten into Truck Sims, really enjoying them and playing them on eyefinity.

Today i was playing Scania Truck Sim on full graphics with eyefinity, and suddenly it forze, turns out my GPU was at about 80*c which aprrently it doesnt like.

I turned on MSI afterburner and setup the fan speed from 36% to 55%, why the GPU dont do this on its own is beyond my understanding?

It pissed me off enough to think, right i need a new cooling system.

So i went to look, and i have a choice of to systems. Im NOT looking at oc'ing, just want it to run cooler and better so i dont need to make changes on afterburner while playing.

Choice one - Arctic Cooling Accelero TwinTurbo II
2 fan setup - Cheap one

Choice two - Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus II
3 fan setup - Cost still in budget but pushing it.

Since i dont go all gaming mad with Modern warfare and all this, i dont feel i need to go for the triple fan setup just to play Scania Trucking Sim and the upcoming European Truck Sim 2.

Would the dual fan setup not support my wishes well enough?

I am thinking, get the dual fan setup and then spend the left over money on getting a Temp screen for the front of the case, since i have a Cosair T600 with fan speed control on the front.

SORRY FOR MISPLACING THIS THREAD!! PLEASE MOVE TO AMD GPU!

Last edited:
Assuming you do change heat sinks in the future I'm certain that the Twin Turbo would be more than sufficient and assuming it uses the same fans as my Xtreme Plus II it would be extremely quiet. All of my case fans make more noise than the Xtreme Plus II fans. They are even very quiet at 100%.

But as you can see a good fan profile is much cheaper and you also don't have to worry nearly as much as accidentally breaking your graphics card. :D

Assuming you do change heat sinks in the future I'm certain that the Twin Turbo would be more than sufficient and assuming it uses the same fans as my Xtreme Plus II it would be extremely quiet. All of my case fans make more noise than the Xtreme Plus II fans. They are even very quiet at 100%.

But as you can see a good fan profile is much cheaper and you also don't have to worry nearly as much as accidentally breaking your graphics card. :D

Great to hear, i am considering it still. :thup:

BTW, i misplaced the thread, mod/admin please move to AMD GPU:thup:

Back