• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEWARE nvidia fermi cards are stuttering / hitching despite good fps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enemy Down!

i just put together a brand new high end rig with gtx 460 sli, including a generous 750w corsair psu to feed them. i do not overclock. the video cards are factory overclocked from evga.

i will copy and paste from the official nvidia site as i went there to complain about this in hopes of nvidia responding to this. others are comming out and complaining about the same thing;

i just put together a gtx 460 sli rig after spending almost $2k on the computer alone. it has all top components, including a generous 750w corsair psu to feed these graphic cards.

i only tested 3 games for performance...and i stopped it right there. these graphic cards stutter! these graphic cards hitch! these graphic cards exhibit some kind of micro stutter and i uploaded a quick video on youtube for you all to see. click on the link below to see.

look at the vegetation and the rock in foregrount as i strafe left to right. the stuttering is right there. i do the same on the 2nd run where frame rates are locked at 60 due to vsync and it is butter smooth.

despite a smooth frame rate reading of 30, 40, or 50, there is a constant stutter wich negates this performance. i play darkfall, bad company 2, and crysis. they are all fps games and smooth gameplay is important. i don't play crsyis any more, i just use the game as the ultimate benchmark for my gpu's. but i do play the other 2 games i mentioned. with this stutter it is pointless to play them. these cards are pointless. i do not understand why nvidia has put out such a poor product.

i did a ton of research on these cards. i read almost all the review sites out there...and not one of them talked about this stutter! i also want to add, that this same stutter has plauged my sli laptop that i bought 2 years ago. it has a q9650 cpu with 8800m gtx 512 gpu's in sli. it was the fastest laptop back then and still is. i spent almost $5k on that laptop and $2k on this computer build based around these gtx 460 gpu's. i must say that i have gotten burned by nvidia the past several years and i have had it.

i spent 24 hours on installing, un-installing, trying every possible combination setting in nvidia control panel, fresh OS instal with nothing but the game running....everything you can think of. there is only one way to stop the stuttering and that is to achieve a frame rate that matches or exceeds your monitors refresh rate and forcing vsync...this is not a realistic solution, of course. because 30 fps should also be smooth. i have gamed for 20+ years, i now what choppy gameplay looks like and what smooth gameplay looks like. 30 fps is the gaming industry standard and always has been. with vsync off, and along with screen tearing, there is the stutter / hitching. the stutter is worse the closer you get down to 30 fps. the higher the fps the less it stutters, but it's still there unless you achieve these very high 60 fps or better and force vsync on.

i am about to return these graphic cards and take a 15% restocking fee and i am fuming. NVIDIA, you owe me a working product! i should return these cards to you instead and get refunded. i feel like i got scammed by you the past several years and have no faith in your products any longer.

to finish this rant, i would like to simply cut and paste my youtube description of this video i posted, even though there will be redundant information;

nvidia gtx 460 sli computer with nvidia surround enabled running at 4320x900. i want to show that these cards are currently exhibting severe stuttuer / hitching despite smooth frame rate readings.

core i7 930
gtx 460 sli 1 gig versions evga stock super clocked
evga x58 sli motherboard
750w corsair psu
win7 64
6 gigs ddr 1600 corsair ram
system is not overclocked, all stock.
win7 64

i show 3 runs. the first one is with graphic settings set to achieve 30 or more frame rates which displays the stutter / hitching. the 2nd run is with relaxed graphical settings to achieve a frame rate of 60 or greater that does not display the stutter / hitching. my monitors are 60 hertz. the 3rd and final run shows that i go back to the more taxing settings to show the stutter again. if you are having trouble detecing the constant stutter then simply compare the 2nd run to the first and last one.

all 3 runs are with vsync enabled to eliminate the confusion of screen tearing since that is different and did not want to have that mixed with the stutters. the only way to elminate this stutter / hitching is to achieve frame rates that match or exceed your monitors refresh rate and enabling vsync.

30 fps is percieved to be liquid. it is the standard frame rate in the gaming industry and always has been.

Last edited:
2 things

One is that it could be the resolution you're trying to play at.

Secondly (and more than likely) it's the drivers, I'd wait for the next release which will probably fix this and other issues with the 460.

resolution has nothing to do with it. 4320x900 is actually less pixels than the single monitor setup of 2500x1600 that review sites use for benchmarks. the reason i got these cards is for surround gaming.

what it comes down to it is that whatever the settings are, the frame rate readings are good in the video, 30 fps. this frame rate should not stutter and look like 17 fps.

Yeah I have SLi 460's and they do hitch sometimes on DiRT 2 but it's for a couple seconds on certain maps.

Other games don't exhibit any problems.

Hopefully the next set of drivers is made better and not rushed like the 258.96.

Not rushed? Didnt they, like most Nvidia drivers come out about a month after the last release?

While drives may help, Im betting its something in the system causing this. If it was such a rampant problem (one would think with the caliber of the rant it is...) some review site would have mentioned that...ya know?

Attachments

• nvdrivers.JPG
    nvdrivers.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,016
Yeah I have SLi 460's and they do hitch sometimes on DiRT 2 but it's for a couple seconds on certain maps.

Other games don't exhibit any problems.

Hopefully the next set of drivers is made better and not rushed like the 258.96.

review sites will not mention this. i have completely lost any faith in them other than how high the frame rates would go. and high frame rates mean nothing if the actual gameplay is not smooth.

I wonder if you have a bad card then...

I cant imagine not ONE review site wouldnt mention this.

Yeah they did come about a month after release, but these drivers were the first set for the GTX 460 so they probably aren't the best.

More time and testing should fix issues with the 460 since it's so new.

Can't remember where I heard it was rushed, maybe OCN.

Did you take one out physically and test it or just disable SLI? Physically remove one card and test it, if it still does it, switch slots with that card. If it still does it, try the other card and repeat.

Yeah they did come about a month after release, but these drivers were the first set for the GTX 460 so they probably aren't the best.

More time and testing should fix issues with the 460 since it's so new.

Can't remember where I heard it was rushed, maybe OCN.

they should not release the cards if they are not ready. i did not buy these cards with the intention of playing games 9 months after i got them due to driver maturity. this may not even get fixed. you never know.

Did you take one out physically and test it or just disable SLI? Physically remove one card and test it, if it still does it, switch slots with that card. If it still does it, try the other card and repeat.

yes, i did everything you can possibly think of. i spent 24 hours testing and re-testing. i even installed the new developer drivers that were released yesturday, the 259.31 drivers, and they did not resolve this.

Does it do this outside of Crysis?

yes, does the same thing in darkfall and battlefield bad company 2. i stopped testing my games there. i can put in counter strike and source games and i am sure it will exhibit the same problem.

Back