• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEWARE nvidia fermi cards are stuttering / hitching despite good fps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They do have the CPU clocked higher and more ram. Your CPU may be bottlenecking you SLI setup. I read an article/benchies a while back that showed fermi SLI setups being bottlenecked by CPUs running lower than 3.6-3.8ghz. Trying to locate the article...

just an update;

to completely eliminate the frame buffer argument, i installed the new palit 2gb version (2gb per card) gtx 460 cards in sli and they exhibited the exact same symptom.

i exchanged the motherboard from micro x58 sli evga to their x58 classified series with no change in performance.

now the interesting part; nvidia has acknowledged the stutter in bc2 and developed a fix for it. it should be comming out shortly via driver update. they are also looking into other games with micro stutter so i am now optimistic that this will be taken care of so i decided to keep the gpu's.

ManeulG from nvidia's official forums;
Most of the stuttering comes from invariant shader recompilation in background of the game thread. The fix applies only to this games so if there are other games that show micro-stuttering, the fix for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will not fix it. This is why I am asking for other games which users see micro-stutter so that we can take a look at those as well.

They do have the CPU clocked higher and more ram. Your CPU may be bottlenecking you SLI setup. I read an article/benchies a while back that showed fermi SLI setups being bottlenecked by CPUs running lower than 3.6-3.8ghz. Trying to locate the article...
You are absolutely correct I increased the OC on my cpu to 3.4ghz and already noticed an improvement. I had no idea that an i7 could be bottlenecking anything but after a little research it looks like that is an issue. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. I have a couple other questions about RAM but I will leave them for my own thread. Thanks again.

You are absolutely correct I increased the OC on my cpu to 3.4ghz and already noticed an improvement. I had no idea that an i7 could be bottlenecking anything but after a little research it looks like that is an issue. Thanks for your help I really appreciate it. I have a couple other questions about RAM but I will leave them for my own thread. Thanks again.

lower cpu speeds can bottle neck higher end gpus because most games still use only 1 cpu core to run which isnt taking advantage of the newer architecture. from what i have read most i7's can clock to 3.6-3.8 with only a slight increase in vcore.

No Problemo, you may want to try and take it to 3.6-3.8 with a little vcore adjustment, it shouldnt be hard to reach.

BTW Enemy are you running your i7 930 @ stock?

:bang head Data Overload! :bang head Alright, I am looking to purchase a 460 GTX Fermi soon, good to know about this! But I think with my resolutions and backing down settings as needed I'll push 80+ fps w/maxed settings in the games I play, or so suggest my research. I don't think this is the devil card though :cool:

When I read the first page I felt like :chair:

No Problemo, you may want to try and take it to 3.6-3.8 with a little vcore adjustment, it shouldnt be hard to reach.

BTW Enemy are you running your i7 930 @ stock?

Well I played around this morning and got 3.8ghz no sweat and what a difference now Crysis easily runs maxed out. However I am still getting some frame drops at regular intervals. MSI afterburner shows a corresponding momentary drop in usage from around 98% to nearly 0% on both gpu's. Anyone seeing similar?

already tried with fraps not running. already tried with no AA. already tried all your suggestions.

not sure why i should argue with you. you stated 30 fps is not a smooth frame rate and that i should tone down my settings, and that crysis can never run smooth at my graphical settings....if that's the case i would not have purchased these "high end" cards.

i am telling you and showing you, and you even acknowledged yourself, that these cards are exhibiting a stutter / hitch at frame rates which they should not be. if you chose to believe this is "normal" then there is nothing more i can do or will do to change your mind.

your cards are nowhere near to high end.
not even an SLI 480gtx can achieve 60fps in crysis at that res everything on max.

and btw, 30fps is not smooth, ppl still think that 24fps is enough to make an animation, that is for images of moving targets.

to get something smooth on the monitor, which are subsequent images of Static targets, you need over 50fps to not notice anything.

this said i'll tell you what everybody else told you already.

the gtx460 is a new architecture, different from the gtx465 - 470 - 480.

so the drivers we currently have are not really . . . polished.

i was getting under 30fps in BFC2 when i first got my gtx480, after driver release no stuttering and no lag anymore.

i suggest you stay calm and be patient.

and welcome to the world of "release before it's ready"
you'll notice many companies following this philosophy

i was just playing through crysis again and i think i experienced the "stutter" the op is talking about but i believe it is an intentional feature of the game. if you look down at the feet while side stepping you will understand what i am talking about. the "stutter" of the camera is meant to simulate the uneven rythm of movement that is producing when sidestepping. you dont find this high level of detail in most other popular shooters like halo. most shooters infact dont even bother to give you legs.

btw i am getting in just above 60fps on two overclocked 470sli with all the settings maxed at 1920x1080.

edit**

after watching the video again that the op put up on youtube i am 100% sure that the thing he is complaining about is a feature of crysis that the designers intentionally put in there to simulate realistic movement. lol@u op.

Last edited:
i suggest you stay calm and be patient.

and welcome to the world of "release before it's ready"
you'll notice many companies following this philosophy

Preach it brother, I couldn't have said it better. That aside, I am really excited at all this potential.

Patience is a true virtue, compose yourself. :blah:

Back