• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEWARE nvidia fermi cards are stuttering / hitching despite good fps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
In addition to my post earlier, I just stopped gaming and shifted to 24/7 folding and so far it's been stable @ 11K ppd so at least I have some reason to be happy. I'd probably fold with these 3 babies indefinitely. I find it more productive than gaming.

Just to add to the thread, I've found I get microstuttering with my gtx460 as well. I've just had it for a week, and I've found that it happens under the same circumstances, that is with a high but sub-vsync limit FPS. It smooths out if you drop settings sufficiently to ensure fps stays locked at 59-60.

It's not very bad, nor does it make anything unplayable, but it IS annoying.

Mine's with a Gigabyte gtx460 1GB.

Problem happens irregardless of overclock; though incidentally sufficiently OCing the card to push framerates up to 60 stops the problem.

I've cleaned/reinstalled drivers, updated, etc - already covered pretty much everything mentioned in the thread.

Just wanted it to be known that it does happen to other people too =)

This is quite interesting to know winter!

im sure this has been covered before but, what about fps between 30-60 without Vsync on? Im wondering if vsync is part of the culprit regardless of fps...?

im sure this has been covered before but, what about fps between 30-60 without Vsync on? Im wondering if vsync is part of the culprit regardless of fps...?

The OP has a combination of issues. In Crysis, he's trying to run too high settings. In BC2, he might have the known stutter bug which Nvidia has already said they're working on. Maybe he just needs to use triple buffering and vsync. That probably wouldn't help though, since he's already tried everything. I'm sure he already tried alt-tabbing out of BC2 and disabling one core's affinity. Not that that fixes the problem for most people or anything..

Just my 2cents, but I've had my GTX460 1GB's for almost 2 weeks and can't say I've noticed any micro-stuttering at all. Actually played Crysis for a few hours today as well (1920x1080 - Very High - 4x AA).

I've seen it in my 5870CF setup from time to time and in some older NV SLI setups (260s 280s, 285s)...but knock on wood no issues with Fermi so far.....

Just my 2cents, but I've had my GTX460 1GB's for almost 2 weeks and can't say I've noticed any micro-stuttering at all.

Bear in mind, the OP's video doesn't show micro stutter at all. It shows normal stutter, caused by running settings higher than his cards can handle.

Just my 2cents, but I've had my GTX460 1GB's for almost 2 weeks and can't say I've noticed any micro-stuttering at all. Actually played Crysis for a few hours today as well (1920x1080 - Very High - 4x AA).

I've seen it in my 5870CF setup from time to time and in some older NV SLI setups (260s 280s, 285s)...but knock on wood no issues with Fermi so far.....

460's in sli max out crysis and push the fps well above 60 @ 1080p so you probably wont notice any stutters. try it in single gpu mode where you can be around 30-45 fps range. just strafe left to right when you find a spot.

Bear in mind, the OP's video doesn't show micro stutter at all. It shows normal stutter, caused by running settings higher than his cards can handle.

Yea I saw someone else in the thread talking about MS issues, was speaking more to that point.
I can't say I'd expect a single 460 to play Crysis smooth when maxed out...

if the cards can't handle the high settings then why is it pushing high frame rates, like 40-45fps? i never went about the 1024MB video ram, monitored by evga precision, mostly in the 900MB range at those settings.

460's in sli max out crysis and push the fps well above 60 @ 1080p so you probably wont notice any stutters. try it in single gpu mode where you can be around 30-45 fps range. just strafe left to right when you find a spot.

Ok I disabled one card and played for about 10 mins....I didn't see any stuttering etc, other than when I was in an area that was simply too much for the card to handle.
With Crysis I use Vsync w/ triple buffering, if your not doing something similar, maybe that's your problem, or your LCD...or as stated before, the card simply can't handle it, regardless of what it is telling you the frame rate is.

Or I'm just lucky :)

I didn't see any stuttering etc, other than when I was in an area that was simply too much for the card to handle.

can you be more specific? what were your framerates and vram usage?

"con_restricted 0"

"map rescue"

those 2 console commands will bring you to the start of that map that i used in one of my videos.

can you load it up with 1080p & 4x AA in single gpu mode? you should be well below the frame buffer and be pushing about 40fps. simply strafe left to right to test. moving forward or backward makes it harder to detect so strafing while watching the vegetation is the best way.

Since when does any fps gamer care about vegetation or how it looks? Id be more focused on the enemy trying to kill me than some stupid bush that shakes or doesnt look right. Get old school and play in 640x480 and i bet you dont see any stuttering just alot of blurry pixels.

hmm. Actually hadn't checked that, because without vsync I get horrendously bad tearing.

Anyhow, yeah, no stuttering without vsync, but really, really bad tearing.

I'm curious if it's my monitor that's to blame? *ponders*

I just got a Gigabyte GTX 460 and ran the FFIV benchmark. It stutters badly. I had a GTX 275 and it didn't stutter as bad but got a lower score. I posted the first 30 seconds of the GTX 460 on youtube. Does it stutter this badly for anyone else. Also notice the large dips. Other system specs- I7 920, 6 GB ram, Win7 64 bit.

hmm. Actually hadn't checked that, because without vsync I get horrendously bad tearing.

Anyhow, yeah, no stuttering without vsync, but really, really bad tearing.

I'm curious if it's my monitor that's to blame? *ponders*
No, that's just the downside of vsync. It basically will drop frames to make your fps a multiple of your monitor's refresh rate. So when your "real" fps drops below 60, you're suddenly at 30 fps rather than 58 or whatever. And that drop is usually noticeable, as you have noted. So basically unless you can consistently push above your target fps, don't turn on vsync.

I am having issues similar to what others are reporting in this thread with certain games. Using the concrete jungle benchmark on Just Cause 2 I only got a 7 fps increase (26-33) going from one 460 to SLI however gameplay is smooth. I tried Crysis on Very High setting at 1920x1200 however it is totally unplayable, when I drop the settings to High it becomes playable with around 35 fps but there is noticable frame drops and lag. It is not constant but does happen. However Metro 2033 and BFBC2 run amazing maxed out.
I am wondering if there is an issue with the drivers for DX9-10? Another question should the 460's SLI be able to handle Crysis on Very High with single monitor at 1920x1200 with the following system?
i7 920 @ 3.2ghz
evga 460 sc SLI
4gb corsair Ram

I tried Crysis on Very High setting at 1920x1200 however it is totally unplayable, when I drop the settings to High it becomes playable with around 35 fps but there is noticable frame drops and lag. It is not constant but does happen. However Metro 2033 and BFBC2 run amazing maxed out.
I am wondering if there is an issue with the drivers for DX9-10? Another question should the 460's SLI be able to handle Crysis on Very High with single monitor at 1920x1200 with the following system?
i7 920 @ 3.2ghz
evga 460 sc SLI
4gb corsair Ram
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_460_SLI/7.html
If you look at the bench mark on that link they achieve an average of 40fps @1920x1200 very high settings and 4x AA. They are also running a i7 920 but have OCed it higher than yours. at lower resolutions it would be better.

Back