• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEWARE nvidia fermi cards are stuttering / hitching despite good fps!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmm not once did the OP mention the monitors he is using.

I know I asked him that a while back lol, I asked him if he was using 3 of the same monitors. I suggested it may be an issue with the monitor its self having ghosting or tearing, especially because he is not playing at native resolution. He shot me down though LOL!!! and he has still not said what monitors he is using.

I suggest we, as a group, simply ignore this thread. The OP clearly doesn't want help, so why should we waste time trying?

all 3 monitors are identicle. they are asus 1440x900 lcd 19" screens. i did not think this was a serious question.

i didnt bother reading all the posts but i think i read something about him having an ati and nvidia cards in the same system for comparison. conflicting drivers? and i also read "omg, crysis at very high settings pwns my midrange cards. nobody buy them, omg"

I suggest we, as a group, simply ignore this thread. The OP clearly doesn't want help, so why should we waste time trying?

i am not asking for your help because i tried everything you can think of and i stated this several times..... i went through every possible combination you can think of with my system from every bios setting to fresh os install, etc etc etc. i am simply giving out a warning to all along with video proof.

Maybe he was hired by AMD/ATI to start controversy about Nvidia's Best Bang for the Buck GPU that is doing really well in sales catching it up to ATI this quarter!

BTW I am joking, don't take me seriously sometimes :)

i am not asking for your help because i tried everything you can think of and i stated this several times..... i went through every possible combination you can think of with my system from every bios setting to fresh os install, etc etc etc. i am simply giving out a warning to all along with video proof.

If you are not asking for help why create the thread? I am willing to bet you had your mind made up about the product before you even tried fixing the issue. One can't help someone that doesnt want to be helped.

if you want good performace in crysis at very high settings on 3 monitors you should sell those 460's and get 2 480's or 2 5970's, maybe 3. crysis is the most graphically intense game there is and the way you are running it will make any system that is not overclocked with high-end gpus its beeotch.

therefore crysis should not be used as a standard for testing hardware performance.

Can we stop the fighting in this thread please? Thanks!

Have you turned off your page file? I had a pretty bad stuttering problem with Crysis due to constant swapping. I know you have more RAM, so you should be able to try with no page file to see if that'll help.

Do you know what your PCIe bus is running at? And how's your CPU load? I didn't have time to read over the whole thread... also... how are temps?

If you are not asking for help why create the thread? I am willing to bet you had your mind made up about the product before you even tried fixing the issue. One can't help someone that doesnt want to be helped.

because it can't be fixed from our end. this is a design flaw or a driver issue. either way the product being made is not performing.

i have never owned an ati product. the hd5870 i used for testing is my brothers. he got all hot for a rig when he saw me build this gtx 460 sli-based system and he was going the same route, either 480gtx or 460 sli and he wen't ati after he saw the stuttering.

Oh yeah... the 460s run pretty cool so normally would not think of that but 2 in a case might cause other things to overheat.

OP: you can not expect to make a unique claim in an abrasive fashion and expect not to have people question your methods. There does seem to be a glut of this type of thread on this forum lately... on poster told someone to STFU when they asked about their testing methodology since it differed from previous proven and factual evidence. It was not you but it can make people less tolerant for those coming across a little aggressive. Just FYI for future posts.

Thanks for posting up your results here. Hopefully this can get looked into more by other 460 owners.

because it can't be fixed from our end. this is a design flaw or a driver issue. either way the product being made is not performing.

See you already have your mind made up and don't want help end this thread now.

NUFF SAID

btw you still never answered what brand and model your monitors are... you only stated that all three are the same running at 1440x900 lcd 19" screens... maybe you bought crappy monitors.

Last edited:

i have never owned an ati product. the hd5870 i used for testing is my brothers. he got all hot for a rig when he saw me build this gtx 460 sli-based system and he was going the same route, either 480gtx or 460 sli and he wen't ati after he saw the stuttering.

How can you be so quick to jump to design flaw? Maybe you just happen to get a pair of bad cards from the same batch? Most people dont seem to be having your issue (as in more than 70%), which tells me the design and drivers work. Instead of looking at your situation as the standard you need to actually take a survey and find out if your actually the exception.

How many times have your RMA either or both cards? If you say none, then it just validates my point. Nothing is 100%, especially not a manufacturing process where thousands of product is pumped out each day. Some by different shifts, etc.

As someone that works for a manufacturer(not of computer parts but that is aside from the point) and I cannot count the number of times my employees have come screaming at me to go kick some engineer in the shins because the "design is wrong"...and I will tell you right now, 80-90% of the time its because someone somewhere on the assembly line didnt follow the blue print, creating a slightly defective product.

In order to even make the claim that the drivers or design is faulty you need to have a trend analysis to back it up. Try looking up the serial numbers or batch numbers for your cards, see if other people having simular issues happen to be same batch or simular numbers.

ManuelG, the nvidia technician, over at nvidia official website has already confirmed the stutter problem with one game, BFC2. this is one of the 3 games i am mentioning which stutters.

Our software team is looking into this now as we were able to get a repro. This is not normal behavior so I expect this to be fixed through a driver update. If the bug is caused by the game engine itself, our developer relations team will work with the developer of BF:BC2 to provide a fix for this issue.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=170238&st=100

So, if they are looking into it, why are you screaming and yelling about it here? I'm not trying to be rude, but rather understand your view point. I don't see what we can help you with.

So, if they are looking into it, why are you screaming and yelling about it here? I'm not trying to be rude, but rather understand your view point. I don't see what we can help you with.

i am trying to help you guys by giving out an honest warning and have a discussion about it.

He isnt looking for help, he isnt waiting for a fix from nVidia. He wont answer about RMA status on his cards. As far as I can tell he is trying to get people to overlook "fermi" cards in general as a GPU solution. It is almost like he took recieving a pair of cards from a sub-par batch as a personal insult, so he has made it a personal mission to advice against getting the card instead of trying to rationally prove his opinion.

i am trying to help you guys by giving out an honest warning and have a discussion about it.
The problem is how you brought it up. I read your first post again and you don't say anywhere "this is a known issue, anyone else having these problems like I am?" You brought it up as if you didn't know what the answer was. You then proceeded to argue with everyone that tried to give assistance which then broke down into the horrible bad "argument" (not really arguing, more like throwing crap at each other) that you see above. I think that is why people are getting frustrated with discussing it with you.

EDIT: I'll also be completely honest with you here. If you don't want to try something we suggest, don't ask for help. I do technical support for my job and I get people that call up, ask for help then argue with every little thing that I say. It gets old very quickly. You need to include all information and at least attempt to answer all the questions that were brought up. If I (or anyone else here) were to create a thread like this, I guarantee that the responses would be similar; so it isn't because they have anything against you. To receive help, you must be willing to try something.

It isnt an honest warning with out honest and un-bias facts, trends, root cause analysis, etc. One case from one person's bad experience doesnt set the standard. You can't make the claim that something is designed bad or drivers are programmed bad unless they have a >51% failure rate.

I discussion involves flexible thinking and reasoning on BOTH sides of the conversation. People here have tried over and over...for 4 pages...to try and help you resolve your issue or isolate the root cause of the issue. Every time you have come back with the same, "already tired that".

Here is my final word on this thread. RMA the cards, get new ones, install them with a fresh OS install, and try again. I will check back in about 5-7 days and see how you made out (never heard of a RMA process that quick but :shrug: who knows).

Back