• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BeyondTV = Cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Don Baker

I just bought BeyondTV software from SnapStream cause I heard some great things about it from people on this forum. This is the coolest thing ever. I bought this PVR card from Newegg to use with the software:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116-602&depa=1

BeyondTV is like Tivo for your PC (except NO monthly fee:)) for those who don't know. And it works great for me. I have my DirecTV receiver hooked into my computer through the low speed data port on the back of the receiver and that plugs into the serial port on the back of my computer. The software looks pretty much like your DirecTV guide and works very well.

You just scroll to a show and click on it, and you can choose to record whenever it comes on, record this episode, or just watch the episode. I've already recorded a few Family Guy episodes:)

This is probably one of the coolest things I've done with my PC. Now I just need a DVD burner to burn all the shows. And a bigger HDD.

If you want more info you can check out Snapstreams website. I believe they have a trial version of the software you can download. But I just wanted to post this if anyone is interested in turning their PC into a Tivo. Personally I think Tivo is a rip off after this software. Forget the monthly fee!

what was the cost for the software, and how does it perform as oppossed to the software that comes with the card, ie the recorder scheduler?

dicecca112 said:
what was the cost for the software, and how does it perform as oppossed to the software that comes with the card, ie the recorder scheduler?

If you buy just the software it is 59.99$ if you buy a package deal on their website with a video card it is 139.99$. Although they really rip you off for a remote if you want one. But they do have a 100% money back guarantee if you don't like it. Also NO subscription fees like Tivo.

I've only used ATI software, I didn't even install the software that came with the card I bought. However it blows away the ATI software I used although that was awhile ago so maybe ATI is better now.

However if you have DirecTV this software is great works flawlessly with DirecTV at least for me anyway. I recorded a episode of Family Guy last night and compressed it with ShowSqueeze which comes with BeyondTV. Only 250mb and the quality is fantastic. And I'm not even using S-video just regular composite video and still looks very good.

I'm still toying around with it, but there is some cool stuff you can do with this software.

Back