• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF1942 in-game tips/tricks. Post em if you've got em!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Grimdeath's BF1942 Engineers Tips:

IMHO, Engineers are one of the coolest classes to play.

1) 0% Friendly fire and an Engineer are a great combination (EA servers are great!)

2) Drop expacks at your feet while running from enemies and detonate them (0% FF required).

3) Use expacks to propel you up hills and onto building you can't normally get into (0% FF required). Open your parachute to touch down when necessary to avoid falling damage.

4) Wait for that guy in the jeep who's trying to run you over and drop a mine in front of you right before he hits you.

5) Drop mines in/on unoccupied enemy vehicles (ex. back of a jeep) (they will detonate when someone gets in and moves it).

6) Drop expacks at enemy spawn points and detonate them when they spawn. This is especially helpful when you are trying to take an enemy checkpoint and they are still spawning.

7) Learn to lead your shots with your rifle (it's the sniper rifle minus the zoom). Its a one shot kill to the head.

8) Two expacks thrown on top of any tank and detonated will destroy the tank.

9) Run and jump at the same time you throw an expack to toss it farther.

10) A lot of time a tank sees you get close to it carrying an expack the enemy will panic if he's a noob, bail-out, and try to shoot you himself. Simply jump in his tank and drive away (then kill him with his own tank).

11) Toss a few expacks in the back of your jeep and then ram it into an enemy tank (of course, exiting the vehicle before it impacts). If that didn't finish off the tank, just explode your expacks.

12) Tired of having teamates beating you by an arms length to a freshly spawned tank/plane? (Don't do this without 0% FF or people will really hate you) As you're running, toss an expack towards/near him and detonate it. It'll throw him off course and confuse him, giving you time to get there first.

13) If you drop an expack on an air vent on top of a bunker it will fall to the floor inside the bunker; they'll never know what hit them.

Unrelated,

14) To use AA effectively you MUST lead your shots. The exploding puffs you see are the shells detonating; these do the damage. The color of the puffs indicates whether you hit or not. Dark black is a direct hit. Try to lead your shots so that the shells detonate on the aircraft. You will take them down every time.

15) AA guns are very effective at taking out jeeps, artilliary and personel carriers.

Last edited:
Grimdeath said:
A lot of time a tank sees you get close to it carrying an expack the enemy will panic if he's a noob, bail-out, and try to shoot you himself. Simply jump in his tank and drive away (then kill him with his own tank).

lol i was a "noob" once :)....i was in a tank and one enmey with a anti-tank rocket launcher running circles around my tank really close and kept shooting me...i couldn't get a clear shot on him...soon my tank is almost finished...one more shot would be blew up...so I jumped out try to shoot him...and he joined into the tank finished me off

Nice, great tips.

Guys/gals do me a favor and edit your posts.

Put your screen name at the top and then your tips numbered below. I will cut and paste them into the first post for easy access.

Thanks!!!

Grimdeath said:

3) Use expacks to propel you up hills and onto building you can't normally get into (0% FF required). Open your parachute to touch down when necessary to avoid falling damage.

Translation.. cheat

12) Tired of having teamates beating you by an arms length to a freshly spawned tank/plane? (Don't do this without 0% FF or people will really hate you) As you're running, toss an expack towards/near him and detonate it. It'll throw him off course and confuse him, giving you time to get there first.

Translation. Be a plane camping noobie

You're probably the type that shoots down teammates so you can have the plane. Or purposly hijacks an artyy gun while its being used and drives it into the middle of the battle so it gets killed... or till the gunner jumps out cause you are being such a lama so that you can steal the arty and use it instead.

The worst things about this game is plane campers and everyone and their grandma wants to be a damn sniper.

Well that and the planes are overpowering and there are still ways for hardcore cheaters to use cheats so you never know if that guy with 40+ kills is legit or not.

That remindes me of artilery tips...

Chopper campers are 100x worse in Desert Combat.

About the tanks... lighter tanks can easily take out heavy tanks... you just have to hit them in the right spot. Try shooting those Tigers twice in the tracks. I've been too hooked on Desert Combat to play much regular BF, but if I remember correctly, 2 shots in the tracks'll kill tanks with another tank.

I can't figure out how to use the arty effectively. It annoys me. :rolleyes:

Lusankya said:
Grimdeath said:

Translation.. cheat

Translation. Be a plane camping noobie

You're probably the type that shoots down teammates so you can have the plane. Or purposly hijacks an artyy gun while its being used and drives it into the middle of the battle so it gets killed... or till the gunner jumps out cause you are being such a lama so that you can steal the arty and use it instead.

LOL! I never camp for any equipment; I'm more than happy to run around with my expacks - I also hate flying. As for tanks, I say let the person that's best at tanks get the tanks. I've more than once purposely stopped running for a tank even though I could get it so that someone on my team that was killing with it could get it. Also, I'm the first guy to "fix" and damaged tanks on my team.

Expacking to locations is not a "cheat". These locations are also accessible to anyone with a plane and parachute. There are many liberties taken with FF off. If you play on an FF Off server you expect them; Is not being able to hurt yourself or teamates because FF is Off a cheat in your book too?

Lusankya: you've no right to say smack about me seeing as you don't know me nor have you played with me (I do like your avatar however).

Last edited:
Just remember to keep this a clean thread. BF1942 is damn annoying due to cheaters and TK'ers, so a lot of people get very jumpy about it. Just bear each others views in mind, and try and be a little more diplomatic about issues like this, try not to offend anyone please!

It's true what Grimdeath says if FF is set to off then it opens more tactics and game styles some of the road to rome maps are great fun especaily when trying to defend from ex-pack jumpers.....I don't see it as cheating but what everyone has mentioned is the TK'ers epsecaily snipers who only want the plane so they can bail after 3 minutes !

Another Tip i thought of ...some might see this as cheating though!

If you are falling down a steep cliff and you are still in contact with the ground run backwards and you will only do minimum damage when you hit bottom.

FarEast said:
If you are falling down a steep cliff and you are still in contact with the ground run backwards and you will only do minimum damage when you hit bottom.

Nah, not a cheat, coz that happens in real life... Kind of... If you get my meaning!

DanFraser said:

Nah, not a cheat, coz that happens in real life... Kind of... If you get my meaning!

I have never tried running backwards down a cliff.... but i will take your word for it.... you sound a braver man than I !!! :D

FarEast said:

I have never tried running backwards down a cliff.... but i will take your word for it.... you sound a braver man than I !!! :D

You fall off a cliff, on a steep hill you can still keep your feet on the ground, and use your feet to slow you down etc.

I know i was being silly :D

I just had images of you running backwards on a verticle cliff.

Back