• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF3 upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Current location = Chicago, IL.

Sorry "manu2b" I cannot access the internal links.

Current location = Chicago, IL.

Sorry "manu2b" I cannot access the internal links.

NO prob: just keep in mind average used price for a 5850 is $80/$90 and around $100 for a 6870.
Some manufacturers have a transferable warranty, and that can be a good shot on a 6month old 6870.

I will keep looking.

I have a noob question, I was going to install W7 64bit anyway. How can I tell if my Mobo/cpu will accept 64bit OS?

They all will these days (mobo doesnt matter, its in the CPU, but all CPU's can run 64bit for several years now - including your current one).

Should have got 1600Mhz ram, but... that will be fine.

I suggest you ask us first so we can get you the best bang for your buck. :)

It's better...but if it's already shipped, it's fine. Difference between really slow (1333MHz) and really fast (2133MHz) memory is like a fraction of an FPS in some games, never anything significant.

Bought it.

I will be back next week when I intend to buy a new card.

Thanks guys.

A 550 ti isn't too fantastic a card. Not for 1080p. It's great for res's like 1440x900 and 1680x1050. But 1080p is where it starts to slow down.. That said you could run medium settings bf3 fine with it on 1080p most likely. I would aim a tiny bit higher (HD 6870 or GTX 560 Ti if you can stretch it).

In all honesty; the 'buying over time' thing is usually a bad idea. It's best to save (I know; harder to do) and buy all at once. So everything when you buy it is relevant. And that you don't kick yourself later 1 month down the track for buying a CPU only to find you could've got it 50 bucks cheaper with a nicer board that month later if you had waited.

dont nvidia chards tend to preform better in BF3? Or is that just with the nvidia 6XX's vs the AMD 7XXX. May get more bang for your buck if this holds true of the older cards?

also +1 to Mjolnir's comment, with 1gb of ram you are going to be seriously pushing the limits of your card @ 1080.

Best buy page is blocked from my office for some reason. Is that the limit for your gpu budget? That isnt exactly a great gaming card at 1920x1080 (less than that, its fine), especially in BF3 With 1GB vram.

dont nvidia chards tend to preform better in BF3? Or is that just with the nvidia 6XX's vs the AMD 7XXX. May get more bang for your buck if this holds true of the older cards?

also +1 to Mjolnir's comment, with 1gb of ram you are going to be seriously pushing the limits of your card @ 1080.

It's not so much the VRAM. The card itself isn't hugely fast. Remembering High is almost as detailed as Ultra for the most part; keeping AA off and such; and High doesn't require more than 1GB VRAM at that res. I know for a fact the HD 6870 1GB will play High at decent FPS on 1080p (with a 2600K mind you; friends machine I build).

Yeah BF3 likes nvidia cards more though.

I can probably go a little higher but whatever I save on the card goes towards a new Mobo and CPU in the near future. $150 is my limit.
Any particular Nvidia card I should focus on?

Back