• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BFG 7800GS OC - Mem Speed Wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Coach3K

Registered
Well, I recently upgraded my PSU and my video card from a Radeon 9800 Pro, and I ran them through 3DMark05 to compare to my old scores. I did end up jumping from scores in the 2700/2800 range, to 5100 range, but I noticed something that got me concerned.

When I was looking at all my comparison scores, I noticed that everyone else's scores with "similar configurations" listed their Memory speeds anywhere between 1200 and 1500, whereas my memory speed consistenly showed "627" mhz. The box specifically states that the memory clock is set at 1250 mhz (vs 1200 mhz standard).

I initially just shrugged it off as just showing base memory speed, meaning my effective speed was actually 1254 mhz or so, but I wondered why it was showing it differently for the other people's comparison scores on the 3DMark05 site.

I got to reading and installed both the RivaTuner and ATI tool and now I'm really concerned.

Both of those consistently show that my speeds for 3D performance is set (Overclocked by BFG, it appears) at: 400mhz Core and 625 mhz memory.

So am I supposed to see the overclocking utilities and/or 3DMark site list my memory clock at the 1200'ish mark, or am I going to see it list the 625 mhz and I just have to mentally double it, knowing it's actually doubled what's listed? If so, why is 3DMark05 listing the "effective" clock speeds for everyone else, while showing mine at the actual clock speed?

I am pretty sure I saw someone post a screenshot of them using the ATI tool and it actually showed their memory clocks listed at the "doubled" rate in the adjustment sliders on the utility - am I imagining things? I haven't been able to find that post again.

Anyway - I'm kind of going crazy wondering if I got a gimped down card, or whether I'm over-reacting - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Grr - ok - I think I may be over-reacting.

I found the link I was looking for and I was wrong - the sample picture of ATI tools actually shows someone displaying their card at: Core 500, Memory 830'ish. This was in the 7800gs volts mod thread.

So I'm going to assume that I'm fine and I don't have some strange card.

I'm actually running effective memory clockings of around 1250 mhz, right? Again, why does the 3DMark comparison thing show MY actual clock speed, and displays what I'm guessing is the "effective" speed for everyone else. They couldn't possibly be actually DOUBLING their actual speeds (meaning effective clock speeds of 2800-3000 mhz) could they? Please forgive the noob questions. :)

I've got to get to family stuff for Xmas, but one last thing - referring to the volts mod thread above - where do I look to see if I have a G70 or a G71 core? Is it on the board somewhere, or will it be listed in one of the utilities/submenus?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Your fine, the memory on the card is DDR=Dual Data Rate, 625 is 1250.

Rivatuner will tell you which core you have. I got lucky and got a G71.

Thanks for that confirmation. I figured with the DDR it still had to be doubled, but it still confused me why on the comparison chart online it shows MY scores at the base speed and everyone elses at the "effective" speeds.

I guess another odd thing I noticed was that, in the side-by-side comparisons, 3DMark05 showed my mobo/CPU speed at 200mhz base, instead of 800 FSB effective, while showing everyone else's speeds at 800 or 533 mhz.

Maybe I'll create a different user profile over there and submit results in 2 different profiles to see if it displays your own speeds at actual rate and everyone else's at effective rate. If that's the case, it would change the displayed speeds based on which profile I'm logged in on.

Anyway, thanks, and I can't wait to get home to do some more testing! Happy Holidays.

Back