• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIos 21 for nf7+s 2.0 Released !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sweet. I just switched my cooler to a 947U and I'm torture testing as we speak at FSB 210mHz. Not super high yet bit my die temp is only 29°C!

qbas said:
Do any of you have any clue why i can't get high FSB's? Is it my memory that is holding me back? Is it the memory that i can't get FSB 200 to work on default Vcore?

Is that on any multiplier? How about voltage? I was having similar problems, but I've come to find that if I did about 100mhz overall increase each week, I can easily boost up the speed, I even lowered the voltage to 1.6V What BIOS'S have you tried?

tom10167 said:

Is that on any multiplier? How about voltage? I was having similar problems, but I've come to find that if I did about 100mhz overall increase each week, I can easily boost up the speed, I even lowered the voltage to 1.6V What BIOS'S have you tried?

If i try to go from multiplier 11 to 11.5 my computer freezes if i don't put atleast 1.85 to Vcore. I have the Bios 19 (works great and i'm not too keen on either downgrading or upgrading now).

flowrider said:
Oh crap! I tried several times to flash to 2.1 but with no success. I flashed with Flashmenu and awdflash with no luck either way. I can't even get the computer to boot to windows. It hangs after updating escd and locks completely when it tries to boot the cdrom.

No luck for me. Back to 2.0!

Similar results here. I can boot into Windows from my PATA drive and access my RAID0 SATA Raptors, but I can not boot into Windows on my RAID0 SATA Raptors, which I could do just fine with D20. :(

Back to D20 and everything is fine. Boots into Windows with either drive.

Hoot

Hoot said:

Similar results here. I can boot into Windows from my PATA drive and access my RAID0 SATA Raptors, but I can not boot into Windows on my RAID0 SATA Raptors, which I could do just fine with D20. :(

Back to D20 and everything is fine. Boots into Windows with either drive.

Hoot

Bizarre isn't it considering this bios was supposed to have a SATA fix in it? And was 19 supposed to have a fix for recognition of certain WD drives (raptors maybe)?
Well I guess it's wait until someone hacks the bios or wait for 22.

Hehehe...

I just took the gamble and updated 18 to 20 using the FlashMenu a couple of days ago. Thanx to Hoot, I'll wait until 22 when they get it right :p

@qbas, its your memory holding you back. the m-tec stuff sucks big... well you know.

so that's why you struggle around 200fsb. I promise this is the reason, and I order you to get different ram.

i went thru all that bull, and then switched to adata, and now I'm at 228 and lovin' life again.

Hmm...I went ahead and tried these drivers on my own and they work just fine. Actually I think they are better than the 20's. They seem more stable.

Im running 11.5x200 1.65v 2.6vdimm. The raptor seems faster with these new SATA drivers. I also did a format and reinstall on the raptor, I always like to do that when I install a new bios/video driver.

I can't be the only one whom they've worked for, can I? haha

emmm.... dats mean sata bios only hav the prob...

see if can enable hidden bios feature...hehehe

In case you all don't get around much, there are excellent threads at the Abit-usa forums and AMDMB forums on the SATA RAID0 boot issues arising from the D21 bios. Abit reps are aware of the issues and working on them.

To bring you up to speed, apparently this only manifests under D21 when you are running two SATA RAID0 drives using the onboard SIL controller. Single SATA drives or those using add-on PCI cards are not experiencing this.

Any NF7-S bios package consists of several modules lumped together in the flash. For quite some time, Abit has been using a SATA bios module revision 4.2.12 in their recent bios releases. Though it was not the best SATA bios, it was reliable. Equito, a member of the Abit forums started taking official releases, removing the 4.2.12 portion and splicing in 4.2.27 release which was stable and more effective. I have been using his patched D20 bios and it is great. With D21, Abit removed the 4.2.12 and spliced in 4.2.43. There are issues with 4.2.43. To prove this, Equito, took the official D21 bios, removed the 4.2.43 SATA portion and spliced in the 4.2.27. A couple of members flashed it and the boot to Windows using two SATA drives in RAID0 problem disappeared.

There are reports that Abit may jerk the D21 bios flash, remove the SATA 4.2.43 portion and finally approve and splice the 4.2.27 SATA bios to go in its place, then repost the D21 bios.

Summary: If you boot from SATA drives in RAID0 using the onboard SIL controller, this effects you. If you boot from a conventional PATA IDE drive, single SATA drive or using a PCI add-on card, you will probably not be effected by the current issue.

By the time you read this, it may have already been resolved.

EDIT: If you get a message when trying to flash using FlashMenu, to the effect that it is too old, download this
new version of FlashMenu. It may not be on the main Abit site yet.

Hoot

hood .... if u want this d21 bios with sata bios ver 4227 i can mod it for u.... but equito also hav posted same mod there in abit usa forum so u can download there

i just finished looking at 14beta bios.... n i change sata bios from 4112 to 4227.... some said 4243 hav many prob.... so i used dat 4227 only... i cant find any hidden menu in this 14beta bios.... only dat speed error hold...

n i look at bios 10 , 14beta n 21 all hav this speed error hold disable.... so better leave it disable unless u want me to enable it... hehehe

n i also look at:

oscar beta DFI infinity bios.... wow they got more bios option than nf7s.... hehehe ... i notice dat oscar wu bios... he disable this feauture:
- cpu warning temperature
- fsb spread spectrum,
- agp spread spectrum,
- bios flash protect,

and he hide this feature :
- Gate A 20 Option and
- os select for dram > 64MB

Attachments

• 14beta.gif
    14beta.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 53
flowrider said:
Thanks hoot. Where can I get this d20 patched bios? I'm running into the same problem with the raid0 config.

You can get it Here

Equito has just posted a patched version of the ill-fated D21 also.
It is available from Here

I can speak for the D20, but I have not tried the D21 yet. I will shortly though.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot. I found it at the Abit forums with a little searching. I'm now running D2.1 patched. I must say the raptor raid array is much quicker for identification and boot. For some reason my temps have dropped dramatically as well. I was hovering at around 22°C with Prime running for an hour! Sounds a little fishy to me.

I am running the patched D21 now also. Interestingly, though the SATA bios is the same as the patched D20 I was running, when I run Sandra File System benchmark, the score went up 14.8%. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth all the same. I'm not sure why your temps changed. Reflashing resets all your bios settings to default. Are you overclocking and overvolting the same as before you flashed? If not, that could account for a difference. I haven't checked mine, nor run P95 to make sure I didn't lose any stability. I'll probably do that when I go to bed later.

EDIT: My temps are reading lower also, by about 3C. I sure wish they'd leave that alone as they go from one revision to the next. No way to tell if its an improvement or just a different compensation formula in the reading circuitry.

Hoot

Well I'm on D21 w/4.2.27 SATA bios splice.

All went well using the newest 1.32 FlashMenu.

Just shut down everything in the system tray, shut down any DCCs and then point FM at the bin file. After it's done I just reboot, go to the BIOS and reset the defaults back to what I want.

Temps dropped maybe one degree.

*Edit: No CMOS reset was needed and I left my machine at 200fsb x11 while flashing. OS is S2k3.

Last edited:
xtern said:
@qbas, its your memory holding you back. the m-tec stuff sucks big... well you know.

so that's why you struggle around 200fsb. I promise this is the reason, and I order you to get different ram.

i went thru all that bull, and then switched to adata, and now I'm at 228 and lovin' life again.

Well what memory would be good for OCing? Kingston? TwinMOS Twister? OCZ? Corsair? Mushkin?

And is my memory the reason why i have to use so much Vcore to run my CPU stable at 200 FSB?

Vcore doesnt not effect how high your fsb goes, unless you are at a very high range (235+). Now, when overclocking your fsb, you overclock 2 pieces of hardware. Your memory and your northbridge. Vdimm controls the voltage to your memory, and VDD controls the voltage to your northbridge.

If you have a locked barton 2500+, the reason why it is taking you 1.775v to get to 200fsb, is because your overclocking the processor ~ 2.2ghz. If your multiplier is unlocked run the chip @ or around stock speed but at 200fsb, and youll see that you wont need 1.775v to run stable.

Back