• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios corruption on DFI, A guide to Preventing and Recovering from Bios corruption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jess1313

Bios corruption on DFI, A guide to Preventing and Recovering from Bios corruption

A guide to Preventing and Recovering from Bios corruption, and work arounds for Cold/Warm Boot Issues

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

There have been many people that have had problems with their DFI ultra B/infinity motherboards corrupting bioses, after suffering from it myself(as I later found out, this was myown fault), and seeing others do the same, I have decided to make a guide to help prevent bios corruption and how to recover from it. When I corrupted my bios the first time, I wished there had been such a guide because, the info is out there it just isn’t all in one place.​

Symptoms of bios corruption/"4 led’s of death"…..

• Well the main, and most obvious symptom of bios corruption, is the same as any other motherboard, and that is a failure to POST under any circumstances, when all other hardware is tested, and Cmos had been cleared(Read Here for the official DFI way of clearing cmos, by "Angry Games")…..

• But w/ the Lan Party ultra B, there is another symptom, and that is what is commonly called the “4 led’s of death”. This is caused by bios corruption. It is when the 4 diagnostic led’s on the mobo,(which are supposed to cycle during post, and then light up solid after post), all 4 light up as soon as the power button is pressed, and after that is doesn’t post, it will only set there, will that the led’s lit….

• Please also note, that if you have resently installed a HSF that bolts up using the monting holes around the cpu socket, and afterware, you are unable to post, and have "4 leds of death", it is likely this is because there are small SMD componates around the mounting holes, and are commonly crushed/damaged durring istallation on bolton heatsinks. You should first carefully inspect your board for damage, befor you assume a corrupt bios to be the cause.....
Ways of recovering from bios corruption/4 leds of death……

Well if you have a DFI NFII mother board and you have diagnosed it as having corrupted bios/4 leds of death, you have a few opions.​
  1. First thing first, always, always, always, try clearing Cmos first. Power the mobo down(do not turn off the PSU first, but hold the power button down until it shuts off. THEN turn off the PSU. Wait till the PSU if fully discharged (you will see the power LED’s go off) Then clear cmos using Angry Games way then try to repost. Many have had success w/ trying this repeated times, and maybe they didn’t get a post after one clear, but maybe after 5 clears, it posted….

2. The second thing I will suggest sounds off the wall but many have recovered though this method. First find the two swiches on your motherboard, reset and power. Push them both at the same time, but release only the power button, and continue to hold the reset button for 10-15 secs, and then release it. After releasing the reset button, some have had a mobo that refused to post w/ infinite cmos clears, to post.

3. Thirdly I would try a clear cmos in conjunction w/ setting the 100fsb jumper to 100fsb, and trying to post. This has worked for some.

4. As probably your last option I would try using different ram or cpu if available as a last resort. For example, after i experienced “4 leds of death” after putting in OCZ 4400(3-4-4-8) with out clearing cmos(I had BH-6 in w/ timings of 2-2-2, which the ocz will not run at), the mobo refused to post with my ocz or the BH-6, but I have an odd stick of ram, it doesn’t overclock well, but it will post at 2-2-2 or 3-4-4, or anything in between, and after inserting this ram, the mobo posted no problem. This may have been a fluke, and may not work for others but this was my personal experience and worked many times...

5. And finally possibly the most common solution to the problem is either Hot Flashing the Bios, or RMAing the board as a last resort. (Hot Flash Procedure described below…)
Way of avoiding Bios Corruption/ “4 led’s of death”

1. The first and one of the most important things is to never set the ratio/divisor on the memory, to anything besides 1:1. NEVER. Almost Guaranteed corrupt bios. Always leave 1:1. Also Never try strange ram timings like 1.5Cas, or 1 Precharge, ras to cas, or ras to ras. The lowest that your Cas, Ras to Cas, Ras to Ras, or Prechage should ever be set to is 2, unless sometime in the future there is ram released that supports such timings….

2. When overclocking don’t experiment w/ frequency adjustment in bios initially. Set all your Voltages, and your timings in bios. Then use Clockgen to adjust FSB, and increase clock slowly & do all of your tweaking from windows, until you have tested your desired setting to be fully stable, then set them in bios.

3. When setting up bios after a Cmos Clear/bios flash. Or anytime that the voltages/frequencies are low(i.e. [email protected]) and say you know that your system is stable at [email protected], change your VOLTAGES first, save and exit, and then change your frequencies. That way you cpu/system already has the voltages it needs to run the clock that you are about to set it to. Also if you plan on loading from Cmos reloader, set your voltages, save and exit, and then come back in to bios before you load you saved cmos setting from the reloader, just as the above case, that way you are sure you system get the voltages it needs to run the higher clocks, BEFORE the higher clock is accually applied & set the frequencies one at a time(set one save cmos & set one save cmos...)

4. When changing hardware(ie ram) always, always, always clear Cmos before trying to post. And sometime even if cmos was cleared you will still get a no post/ 4 led’s followed by a single tone beeeeeeeeep……..beeeeeeeeep…….beeeeeeeep….. From there don’t get exited, the LAST thing you want to do is flip the switch off on you PSU, or unplug you comp, (on DFI it is not good to cut off the comp using PSU switch , or unplugging, this could result in bios corruption. This is how I corrupted my bios the second time. After i got my NF7, and could easily hot flash, i tested this by changing ram out, and then trying to post, i got the Beep....Beep....Beep.... and every time, from there, if I turned my PSU off, or unplugged, my bios corrupted, and i had to hot flash. But if i just hit reset(sometimes this would make it post), or held the power button until shut down, cleared Cmos, and then try to post again, it was fine, no corruption). From here first try hitting the reset button, usually this will bring it out of it, and allow you to post. If it doenst allow you to post, then hold the power button down until it shuts off and try clearing cmos again.

5. Be careful when flashing Bioses, always set you current bios to stock settings, before flashing, then once you have flashed, as stated above, don’t set everything at once, but set you voltages FIRST, then save and exit, post, inter bios again, set frequencies. Also there have been afew people that have had problems going from older bioses to the newest ones. If you flashing from an older bios, try taking it in steps, and going to a stightly newer bios, and then another, and then on to the one you are trying to flash to.

6. The last and possibly the best way to avoid bios corruption, it to always use a bios saviour, or to keep an extra preflashed bios chip on hand. This is not avoiding the 4 LEDS OF DEATH, but if all else fells its the easiest & fastest way back to a working mobo.

Here is the bios savior for DFI NFII mobo's
Hot Flashing how to’s

The hot flash is usually what will end up being the final resolution to most corrupted bioses.​

What is hot Flahing

• Hot flashing is a process that involves using another machine to flash your corrupted bios. The host mobo of choice is usually the NF7/NF7-s,(although it is probable that many NFII motherboards should do fine ,though it is the NF7 thats been tried and tested).

• The way I prefer to do it, is prior to booting the NF7, I *gently remove the bios chip w/ a small flatblade screwdriver/ or toothpic like object, and run a loop of string under the bios chip(dental floss) so I can just pull the string to remove the chip. After the machine is booted, instead of having to use the Screwdiver on a live mobo just pull the string. OK then I boot the NF7.
    After I get to a desktop, I remove the NF7 Bios chip. Then insert the corrupt DFI bios chip. Open WinFlash, and flash the bios to a bios that your sure works(such as the 1-21/31 beta’s) . After the flash is complete, shut the NF7 down, and remove the bios chip. Then put it back in the DFI, Clear Cmos, and then Cross you fingure. DO NOT LET THE NF7 OR HOST MOBO BOOT WITH THE DFI CHIP, as soon as it shuts down if for some reason it wants to reboot pull the plug on the PSU at this time and stop it from booting.

• Some prefer to hotflash using a Floppy disk and “awdflash”, but due to the slight complication of using some of the “switches” to be able to flash, I prefer using winflash from a windows desktop. To me it is much simpler, and i have had great success.

• Usually most Hot Flashes are successful.
Last Resort

If you have tried all of the above, and have had no success, hot flashed with no success, and have tested all componets to be good, (including Cpu, ram, PSU, Video Car, etc, and only the mobo remain). Then it is probable that you mobo is dead and as a last resort, you may have to RMA. I myself have never had to go that far, If you take your time & think about what you are doing you should have success to.
I hope this tread will be of some help to all.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: i will be edit and updating daily,if you have any questions, comments, corrections, or additions, please post....

Last edited:
ColdBoot/WarmBoot....

Coldboot/Warmboot problems.......

Discription
  • "Cold boot problems", are when you have trouble/problems posting from a "cold boot", in other words, your comp. is totally off and you have pushed the power button and wont post/ boot, and the bios is not corrupt. And i was proven to run stable at the same settings before.

• "Warm boot problems", are similar to cold but problems. This is when you have booted your compute, perhaps to windows, and it is fully stable, and you tryed rebooting, and it falls to post on the reboot.
Cause
The cause of these problems is believed to be in the way DFI set up its post cycles. One of the First things it does is apply default voltages(i.e. 1.575vcore for mobile A-XP) then it applys the user defined clocks(ie 10.5x250=2625), and then, only after it clock the CPU/FSB to user defined, does it apply the user defined voltages.... and obviously the CPU isnt gonna have and easy time posting at [email protected]
Solutions

There have been alot of us DFIers who have experienced this, and really, there is only about 2 really helpfull solutions.​
  1. Try a different bios, usually the most reliable ones have been the 1-21 beta, the 1-31 beta, and most resently the 6/19 variant. The 6/19 seems to have been the greatest help as far as bios go.

2. The second, and usually the best soluton is to do the War-Mod(wire/socket mod, to increase stock Vcore, ups 35w mobiles to 1.675, 45w mobiles to 1.775, and desktops to 1.85). Thus, during the post cycle, when it applys "default" Vcore, it applys what you pin mod to, and w/ 1.775 the CPU will have much less touble posting that w/ 1.575) As shown below. Just get a single strand of wire(a strand of phone wire, or from an old ide cable works fine), and drop it in the CPU socket prior to installing your CPU, as seen here....

DFI_warmod.jpg

DFI%20warmod.jpg
(mirror)​

Usefull Links

FAQ

The "Unofficial" Infinity/ LAN-Party "B" FAQ

-=Dfi Infinty&LanParty Rev B Faq and more=- (usefull Vmod/Cap mods/mosfet location/sinking info and bios setup)

Angry Games Way of clearing Cmos

Vmods

Vmods at Malves Corner

Tweaks/Bioses

DFI-Street bios collection

MidNightMachine Bios collection/forum

NFII Tweaker by Codered/TicTac

DFI forums

DFI-Street forums

Pc Perspective-DFI forums

Last edited:
Thanks man, give me till tommorrow, to go over it again, and add a thing here and there, and another link or so...

:cool:

Jess1313.. excellent post.. :) very informative and im sure it will help out some new comers to dfi and save them some headaches..

edit**

Btw.. You might wana add the 'warmod' ... I know most of the boot problems were cured by the 6\19 bios but even after I flashed to it I still was getting a few warm boot problems.. Since I did the mod it has cured ALL the warm boot problems I was having ..

Thunda

Last edited:
THunDA said:
Jess1313.. excellent post.. :) very informative and im sure it will help out some new comers to dfi and save them some headaches..

thanks again man.....lol....your the one that sorta gave the idea to post this:p.....

any suggestions, just PM me, or post here.......

Please also note that the 4 leds of death can be caused by improper mounting of your CPU HS when using the 4 holes to mount on the board. If you over tighten your mounting hardware or don't mount your CPU HS correctly you could possibly crush the IC's on your board. This will cause your board to appear as though your bios is corrupt or your board is dead with the 4 leds of death.

Good guide, unfortunately if someone needs this guide for a DFI they probably shouldn't be using the DFI in the first place, because it's not a board that I recommend for a beginner. ;)

obsolete said:
Please also note that the 4 leds of death can be caused by improper mounting of your CPU HS when using the 4 holes to mount on the board. If you over tighten your mounting hardware or don't mount your CPU HS correctly you could possibly crush the IC's on your board. This will cause your board to appear as though your bios is corrupt or your board is dead with the 4 leds of death.

Good guide, unfortunately if someone needs this guide for a DFI they probably shouldn't be using the DFI in the first place, because it's not a board that I recommend for a beginner. ;)

I agree, most of the time, it isnt good for beginners to use DFI's, but some of these problems can get even the best of us:p

Besides it hasnt been that long ago I was a beginner, the DFI Ultra B was one of my first performance biulds. I had biuld afew before this, but nothing more than IE rigs. The DFI Ultra B is the one that really cut my teeth (talk about learning curve)...

Anyway , sense then there has been many, but none that I think compares to this board.

Last edited:
omfg. thank you so much for providing this resource to us dfi newbs O_O.

Getting Prepared

Hey Guys, I will be building this system next week when all the parts come in. Please tell me what else I can do to get prepared for this build as far as bios updates? and ram install, which slots to use? CPU fan install? and also I am going to use the Raptor as system and an WD ATA133 80 gig for storage, will the SATA & IDE work together well?

DFI lanparty ut 250gb
CPU AMD 64 |3400+ ATHLON 64
Thermaltake Venus 7+/
Crucial Ballistix 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x 2
HD 36GB|WD 10,000 WD360GD 8MB
ATI Radeon 9600SE
ENERMAX Noisetaker Series 470W Power Supply
CASE ANTEC|P-160WF ALUM SLV U2F
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A

Thanks Alot, Tracy Lowery

Tmlaudio said:
Hey Guys, I will be building this system next week when all the parts come in. Please tell me what else I can do to get prepared for this build as far as bios updates? and ram install, which slots to use? CPU fan install? and also I am going to use the Raptor as system and an WD ATA133 80 gig for storage, will the SATA & IDE work together well?

DFI lanparty ut 250gb
CPU AMD 64 |3400+ ATHLON 64
Thermaltake Venus 7+/
Crucial Ballistix 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x 2
HD 36GB|WD 10,000 WD360GD 8MB
ATI Radeon 9600SE
ENERMAX Noisetaker Series 470W Power Supply
CASE ANTEC|P-160WF ALUM SLV U2F
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A

Thanks Alot, Tracy Lowery

hey ,man

yes i would be glad to give you sum suggestios, but if you could, could you make a new thread, about your system?

i dont wanna sound harsh, but this perticular thread, pertains to th DFI NF2-Lanparty Ultra-b, and Ultra Infinity:thup: i i dont like to get to far off topic:)

GL
-Jess-

Any info for the nForce3 UT 250? I did a CMOS reset and the darn thing won't get past the DFI LanParty boot screen now.

Did all the standard stuff, removed battery overnight with CMOS reset --- no dice. Even tried a hot flash on an nForce2 machine that didn't work, didn't really expect it too but gave it a try. It thought the chip was locked.

There is one other trick to recover from an unstable BIOS that I didn't see mentioned in the first post (it might be nf4 only - i'm not sure). Plug in a non usb keyboard, press insert before swithcing the pc on, and hold insert till you get to the splash screen (crossing fingers thatyou'll get that far.)

Hello Overclockers

Im havin some trouble with my newly aquired system.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55
DFI LP NF4 SLI-D
2 x Gainward 6800 Ultra Golden Sample
2 x 512 MB GeIL Ultra-X PC3200

My problem is that i (think) connected everything correctly and when i power up it does some sort of post where is tells the memory size of my GPU and then it jumps to the DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-D screen. And then nothing :bang head ....

I tried just about everything... different ram slots different set up, connections well just about everthing except bying a whole new system wich you can imagine is quite exspensive.

Im really clueless at the moment... someone enlighten me please :)

This probably isn't the right place to post this question. Try a new post in the forums. Since you are posting this in the Bios corruption recovery thread, have you tried reflashing the bios? What bios version are you using? Do you know what type of chips are on the GeIL Ultra-X? And, :welcome:

CJ

So technically you can recover a corrupted bios on a DFI without hotflashing???

Back