• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios corruption on DFI, A guide to Preventing and Recovering from Bios corruption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i don't see why the thing says setting a memory divider is likely to corrupt the bios. setting a divider is the only way to get an OC'd processor to run sometimes. when i OC i usually start at 100mhz and work my way up. have yet to get 4 LEDs of death.

i just did a hotflash..clear CMOS.. etc.... but still have 4 LEDS of death.
i've tried my BIOS chip to another DFI Ultra B.. and it works just fine.
whats wrong with it????

obsolete said:
Please also note that the 4 leds of death can be caused by improper mounting of your CPU HS when using the 4 holes to mount on the board. If you over tighten your mounting hardware or don't mount your CPU HS correctly you could possibly crush the IC's on your board. This will cause your board to appear as though your bios is corrupt or your board is dead with the 4 leds of death.
;)

obsolete.... which IC do you mean???
can you give me some pics?? guess here's my problem.
thanks

After quickly looking over the guide above and reading about people having great problems with DFI BIOS, the conclusion that DFI designs crapish motherboards seems reasonable.

I was thinking about purchasing a DFI motherboard but have been discouraged.

Last edited:
LOL- are you serious? If so, riddle me this:
Which board is used in all the highest overclocks; has the best bios design engineer (Oskar Wu); uses the best hardware components in their boards; allows you to voltmod your board by just moving a jumper; has RAM designed for their specific board by OCZ and Mushkin?

DFI

Take a look at some of the other boards in this forum and you'll see problems there too. That is the problem with using forums like this to see how good the board is. If people don't have a problem, there is no real reason to post that everything is great with the board. It's mostly people with problems that are posting to try to find a solution.

CJ

Last edited:
deevo666 said:
does anyone read my post? :(
need help.... :(

You'd probably get a better response if you posted a new thread. I don't think many people except newcomers read this thread.

Also, have you searched over at DFI-street.com? There are many posts and fixes listed there for the 4 LED's of death.

CJ

I just downloaded the BIOS.exe and it wrote to a new floppy. Then I rebooted it with the floppy and prayed a power outage or system error wouldn't screw up the flashing process. Then I hit F1 when prompted and reset the machine. Worked beautifully.

I am having trouble with DFI NF2 board (ver B) that is when I boot first time (cold) it never enables my PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

When I hit reset button, it reboots and sees mouse and keyboard.

Sometimes even within windows after running for a few hours, I lose mouse /keyboard, and sometimes sound (on board) or hangs on a fixed sound and repeats it.

is this (ALL of the above) hot/cold boot problems?
You think the wire mod would help alot?

Thanks for this excellent post.
I really do not want to flash bioses ...etc. since I just bought this board and just wanted a quick mid-range system.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gemini1706

I've been doing great with my NF4 Ultra-D, it hasn't given me a single problem since the day I built the machine (initial setup never goes as smoothly as we'd like :D)

yea ive never had a prob either and it has an aftermarket heatsink,,which required me to change the backplate due to issues with the stock compomnents...ive done everything thats listed on the faq the opposite and havent had a prob yet

Back