• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS Keeps Resetting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

godfrd824

Registered
My BIOS keeps resetting itself after power outages, or even when I disconnect the computer from the outlet for more than 5 minutes. I've replaced the CMOS battery 3 times, I replaced it today, setup my BIOS, disconnected the computer, connected it 30 minutes later and the BIOS had reset itself. IDK what the issue is.

Are you putting the battery in correctly? I know thats a stupid question but other than that you have a bad board.

EDIT: Pretty sure your not allowed to bump either...just as an FYI ;)

Check the jumper, make sure that it is on the proper pins, if in doubt check the manual.
Also make sure the battery is seated completely.

I've checked the jumper, it's not the issue, I guess my motherboard is faulty, what can be done about this?

If the board is still under warranty you can RMA it. If not you will need to buy a new one. I hope that when you may have jumpered the CMOS to do a reset you didn't do it without first turning off the PSU or unplugging it.

It's not under warranty, does anyone know what the exact issue is? Is a contact broken? Because maybe that can be fixed.

It could be any number of things from a bad capacitor to a corrupted CMOS. Not worth the headache and expense of trying to diagnose and repair it.

This is terribly annoying, I'm currently waiting for Ivy Bridge, I guess it will have to stay like that till April.

assuming you have more than 1 ram installed. just try using 1 ram,. let it boot to windows and update your system time. turn off and unplug, wait for 1-5minutes and power on your pc. if it still resetting, try the other ram.

Back