• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bios set to Optimized Defaults now no display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EzekielStyles

Registered
So I set BIOS to Optimized Defaults, rebooted, and now I have no display. My system powers up as usual, all components functioning, but no display. There is a red VGA LED illuminated on my motherboard indicating (supposedly) something is wrong with my graphics cards. I have two graphics cards and have tried them independently in all pcie on the board and also tried with integrated graphics to no avail. I attempted to clear CMOS via jumper pins, rebuilt my computer and still nothing. I'm not even getting POST beeps.

I've considered the USB BIOS Flashback but I honestly cannot recall if I had .ROM or .CAP bios and there is a shortage of walk throughs for how to update for the Z77 boards. (Also cannot find what I'm supposed to rename the file) and I don't want to brick my board.

Does anyone have any ideas on what happened here and how to fix it?

Defaults may be the onboard GPU which doesn't have a cable attached from it to your monitor? If so, change your display options in the BIOS to reflect 'discreet' video cards.

My first thought to, until I read he cannot even get to the bios... (said no POSTing). Though if he plugs in to those ports, he can do that. Normally default is auto select, so this is curious...

Yes it must be the mobo because all other components are functioning properly but I figured jumping the pins would clear Cmos and all would be well but it's still not doing anything. Is my mobo just dead? I just got it Feb 4 of this year lol

Yes it must be the mobo because all other components are functioning properly but I figured jumping the pins would clear Cmos and all would be well but it's still not doing anything. Is my mobo just dead? I just got it Feb 4 of this year lol
again.. plug the monitor in to the onboard and try that...

Never heard of the vga led being on because of power...

Never heard of the vga led being on because of power...

Post stops at highest draw point would be either Card, mobo, or PSU....

Since he's tested both cards and onboard VGA, I would be testing the PSU before calling the motherboard bad, but that's my take on it atm.

Could be a coincidence... Unless his PSU is going bad, that isn't the problem as there is 3x the power needed and it is a top notch PSU. That doesn't mean they don't go bad, but, resetting a CMOS sounds like a bios issue than it does power.

OK So I finally got my computer up and running again. Somehow the BIOS got corrupted and I flashed it using the Flashback feature. It took a while to find what I was supposed to name the file for it to work (being all I had to research on was a smartphone). So for anyone having this issue or similar and you suspect your motherboard to be the problem, using the Bios Flashback, rename the BIOS file Z77ST.CAP and flash your motherboard. Thanks guys :)

Back