• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS update woes (TA790GX A3+)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

X@nder36

hey all, got a quick question for you.

I have a Biostar TA790GX A3+ and was wondering if I could fit some flavor of thuban in it. On Biostar's website, it does not give any BIOS to give compatability, nor does it list the thuban as a supported processor. However, on Biostar SME, there IS a BIOS update that says it gives the board 6-core functionality: http://biostar-sme.com/menu/bios-amd.htm I searched "the bot" and can't find anyone with my board and a thuban, which is a bit of a disappointment, but I was wondering if any of you had the knowledge to help me out (or the resources to go out and try it).

Thanks!

Check the dates for when the website was updated, if there was one. Usually you can tell by the copyright date at the bottom. Otherwise see if you can find a changelog for your mobo's BIOS. If it's b/c of the bios update that it works, you'll be able to tell. It seems that the website that doesn't show it as supported hasn't been updated with the new information, however you can't be too sure.

I took a look, and the SME one says to have been copyrighted in 2011, vs. the regular site which was 2009. Maybe I'll end up giving it a shot if a cheap x6 comes around my way.

Alright, I checked the website you linked to in the OP...last time it was updated was "Thursday, June 03, 2010 12:24:17 AM." (Right click and hit "page info"). If the original website hasn't been touched since '09, and the new website says it works I'd say go for it. Even better see if you can get a return policy if it doesn't work...get a local store to lend you one.

Back