• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios wont hold overclock settings im stumped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

so i have a strange issue the pc is stable at 4.0GHz for 13 hours in prime95 but for some odd reason if i shut down the pc then boot it up a few hours later the overclock settings are back to stock i doubt its the battery because the rest of the bios settings remain unaffected any ideas? below is a link to my mobo as well as pix of my current bios OC settings also cpu is an E8500 C2D

also sorry for image quality couldnt take bios screenshot

edit the settings in the pix below are what keep the cpu the most stable at 4.0Ghz

Attachments

• IMAG00577.jpg
    IMAG00577.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMAG00578.jpg
    IMAG00578.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMAG00579.jpg
    IMAG00579.jpg
    668.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Save a profile and load it for easy retrieval. :)

Id try another battery regardless...id also reflash the bios.

The rig might have a unstable overclock, Gigabyte resets it self if it does.

i tested the overclock for 13 hours full load small fft's in prime95 no errors at all pc doesnt reset at all even during boot the bios overclock settings just end up disabled for some odd reason

if the system was unstable id know because it would reboot but i know its stable

Small fft only test the CPU. If it's a ram issue then it could still be unstable as was suggested. Try something like P95 on custom with 75% of your ram selected. If you have 8GB ram then set 6000MB in custom selection.

Small fft only test the CPU. If it's a ram issue then it could still be unstable as was suggested. Try something like P95 on custom with 75% of your ram selected. If you have 8GB ram then set 6000MB in custom selection.

i gots 4gigs of ddr2 ram also i did small fft
s cuz thats what some members here told me to stress test with

That's true but small fft only tests the CPU and a bit of cache. Since you have such a small amount of ram try just using the P95 blend option. This extends the testing past the CPU and brings in some of the ram. Could indicate bad ram settings/voltage or low MCH voltage etc.. But you need to test the ram to rule out instability

i tested the overclock for 13 hours full load small fft's in prime95 no errors at all pc doesnt reset at all even during boot the bios overclock settings just end up disabled for some odd reason

if the system was unstable id know because it would reboot but i know its stable

I have seen cold boots become unstable do to the components temperature change. Try backing of the overclock by half then test to see if the BIOS saves the overclock.

That's true but small fft only tests the CPU and a bit of cache. Since you have such a small amount of ram try just using the P95 blend option. This extends the testing past the CPU and brings in some of the ram. Could indicate bad ram settings/voltage or low MCH voltage etc.. But you need to test the ram to rule out instability

ok i will test it and report back to you give me a day or so to test it

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen cold boots become unstable do to the components temperature change. Try backing of the overclock by half then test to see if the BIOS saves the overclock.

even at 3.6Ghz it reset overclock had the same issue happen on a different gigabyte mobo

Back