• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar B350GT5 and G.Skill Ripjaws V Series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Monkleys

MotherBoard: BIOSTAR B350GT5 AM4 AMD B350 ATX
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 1600X 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.0 GHz Turbo)
RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 1.35V

So recently I bought a new computer, specs above. And I have been trying to get my memory to clock at 3200MHz. Trust me, it has been a pain, especially to someone that hasn't really dabbled much in overclocking.

I've read a couple guides here and there, and then head off to testing.

I started with testing in Windows(10 pro 64x), with Ryzen Master, which kinda just breaks when I click apply. It won't even let me apply a preset with my current settings.(A problem for another day).

I haven't been able to find many resources with this board and overclocking, especially with this memory. Which I know is good on intel, yeah, I get it.

Okay so I have my board's BIOS(or UEFI) updated to the latest beta build(I didn't get very far with the other builds).

So far I've managed to clock in at 2933MHz, which admittedly, is better than the default 2133MHz, but I can't help but yearn for that 3200 dream.
Without setting anything in the DRAM Timing Config in the bios, even 2933 will fail to boot, then kinda just resets the bios after failing to boot 3 times, this is exactly what happens when I try the 3200. I first tried the 2933Mhz with 14-14-14-14-34. It worked. But I wasn't happy with the MEMTEST86 errors in the test, so I scrapped it. Then I tried 16-16-16-16-36, and boom. Errors were a thing of the past(Currently running this). The board seems to manage the voltage well itself(I may be wrong). Though the UEFI says running at 1.366v at 2933Mhz.

Here is a little image with settings on the bios and such:

image.png

I'll take any input on settings for my current build, as well as things I could possibly try to get her running at 3200MHz.

Like I said before, I'm new to overclocking. This is the first build I've had since my Dual Core Athlon running DDR2 800MHz(Yeah I know, massive improvement). I'm a computer science student, and I feel a bit ashamed to have not dabbled it overclocking, so I'll probably be on here a lot.

This is my first post, I'm open to any advice, as well as software recommendations.

This is just my RAM. Next it's the CPU(For another day though). So I plan to stick around.

I think the main issue you are having is with regard to choosing the Ripjaws "V" series. What people are saying is that the best chance of getting RAM to run at 3200 on Ryzen is with memory modules that use the Samsuing "B" IC. Since the manufacturers don't really tell you what IC they use on the modules (and they may not always use the same one because of pricing and availability), conventional wisdom is saying to look for modules that are advertised to run at 3200 mhz with a CL of 15 or better. Yours has a CL of 16 so they probably aren't using the Samsung B IC. The Flare X series is supposed to run at high speeds on Ryzen: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530. But it's still somewhat of a crap shoot and a lot depends on the particular motherboard and bios.

I don't know what about B350GT5 but X370GTN was working fine at 3200 on early BIOS and can't even boot at 3200 with the latest one ( with my memory kits ).
I would try something like 16-18-18 at 3200 and 1.35-1.40V memory voltage. You shouldn't need any other settings than that and I doubt there is anything else that will help in BIOS.

I don't know what about B350GT5 but X370GTN was working fine at 3200 on early BIOS and can't even boot at 3200 with the latest one ( with my memory kits ).
I would try something like 16-18-18 at 3200 and 1.35-1.40V memory voltage. You shouldn't need any other settings than that and I doubt there is anything else that will help in BIOS.

So I thought I'd give this a try. First I left the voltage on auto with the 16-18-18. No luck there[boot fail, bios reset]. Then I set her up to 1.422v[First entry in the yellow] at 16-18-18. And it worked, perfectly running at 3200Mhz. This seemed a bit high, so I dropped it down to 1.41v, which worked, then further down to 1.4v[Which failed me]. So naturally I set it back to 1.41v, and oddly enough, it failed.

However 1.422v works flawlessly, MEMTEST86 shows no errors. Currently it's what I'm running.
Just a question though, it is "safe" to run at this voltage? It's a bit higher than I'm comfortable with, should I rather drop back down to 2933MHz and voltage below 1.38v?

So I thought I'd give this a try. First I left the voltage on auto with the 16-18-18. No luck there[boot fail, bios reset]. Then I set her up to 1.422v[First entry in the yellow] at 16-18-18. And it worked, perfectly running at 3200Mhz. This seemed a bit high, so I dropped it down to 1.41v, which worked, then further down to 1.4v[Which failed me]. So naturally I set it back to 1.41v, and oddly enough, it failed.

However 1.422v works flawlessly, MEMTEST86 shows no errors. Currently it's what I'm running.
Just a question though, it is "safe" to run at this voltage? It's a bit higher than I'm comfortable with, should I rather drop back down to 2933MHz and voltage below 1.38v?

Should be safe. Some kits are specified to run at 1.4V. Some early DDR4 had even 1.5V XMP profiles. I mean if it wasn't safe then I doubt it would be in mass sales.

Back