• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ is it good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joeteck

Retired
I need to get a AM2 mobo because of a failed Asus board in an HP desktop. All this talk about Biostar had me thinking... I have a very tight budget. and I have chosen this board for its replacement. It needs to have 2 PCI-e 1x slots for the devices his old computer had. No idea about AMD boards but for $56 after rebate how could I go wrong?

Budget is $200 shipped, but that must include Hard drive (already have), case and mobo.

Thoughts..

Well you are replacing a ASUS Ultra low end board with a Biostar mid level board. What CPU will you be using?

As far as everything else it should do fine. I tend to stay away from the non T Biostar as they are pretty much on the level of the dead OEM you are replacing.

Looks like it meets his needs and the price is right. I'd give it a whirl

Yeah, I think it would work. The 9950z is listed and it has a TDP rating of 125W so the 9850 should be okay. It may have come along after the 9950z and just didn't get included in the table because newer generations of CPUs had already started coming out.

Just got off the phone with Biostar. I'm intrigued! It will work fine.

I asked them why are your board so inexpensive and they said they focus on features rather than marketing...

Cool!

Just got off the phone with Biostar. I'm intrigued! It will work fine.

I asked them why are your board so inexpensive and they said they focus on features rather than marketing...

Cool!

Slowly another one comes to the darkside...no marketing, no magazine ads, no you tube videos, no keychains, no manual sometimes, lol, just a motherboard... :D

As much as I enjoy this, I wouldn't by anything without mosfet cooling if you plan on any overclocking at all, but for an OEM replacement I think it will fly.

I'm not sure if I totally understood, but you are getting a new case? Cause it's ATX...

I agree with xokeman. If it's just an OEM replacement and won't be overclocked then it should be fine but I wouldn't use it if you're thinking of overclocking ...

Slowly another one comes to the darkside...no marketing, no magazine ads, no you tube videos, no keychains, no manual sometimes, lol, just a motherboard... :D

As much as I enjoy this, I wouldn't by anything without mosfet cooling if you plan on any overclocking at all, but for an OEM replacement I think it will fly.

I'm not sure if I totally understood, but you are getting a new case? Cause it's ATX...

Yes, I'm getting a new case. Old mobo was a uATX, however I could not find a uATX replacement mobo with two PCI-e 1x slots, so I had to go the ATX route and a new case. I ordered it yesterday from the egg, and it will arrive here today. How sweet is that?

All things considered, this HP was high end for an HP.

First off the Delta Power supply is pretty beefy for an HP desktop. Model # DPS-460DB-1A

Three 12v rails. 16A, 15A, and 8A. Not to shabby. All three can't exceed 385 watts.

It has 6gig of DDR2 RAM, you already know it is a 9850, 9800GT, 750 gig PCI-e WinTV, PCI-e Wi/Fi. No wonder the freakin north bridge over heated and died. It was packed with all this unnecessary CRAP!

For a store bought PC, this was pretty good.

I agree with xokeman. If it's just an OEM replacement and won't be overclocked then it should be fine but I wouldn't use it if you're thinking of overclocking ...

Hell no! Stock all the way... This power supply probably couldn't handle it.

----------

I have to say if this board works out, Biostar could be the next bargain buster board for basic computing...

Last edited:
Back