• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOSTAR|TA880GU3+ and AMD 1100T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LAWLerBAGGER

Hi All,

I first want to say that I have found this site extremely useful in working on my current build. The people here seem very friendly and knowledgable.

I was hoping someone with a similar plan could give me some help. I am going with the TA880GU3+ motherboard from BIOSTAR:confused:, and using an AMD 1100T 3.3ghz/6 core processor. Upon reading reviews on both, I am noticing that many people suggest getting a different heatsink for the processor, and that the TA880GU3+ is a bit touchy as far as fitting new heatsinks. I was wondering if anyone has used either or both, and if you have any suggestions for an altermate heatsink that will work well with both the motherboard and processor. Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Can you reference where you read about the heatsink clearance issues on the board? I haven't heard anything about this specific model, but if I could look at the potential clearance concerns, we might be able to suggest what is likely to work best. :)

Hi IMOG,

Thank you for your response. Most of what i read came from comments from reviewers. I tried to retrcae my steps, and came across a few of the reviews i read on Newegg. The two i was able to find were referring to the processor/heatsink area being close to the memory slots and in some cases the replacement heatsink would leave one of the memory slots covered. I suppose what i am looking for is a good heatsink that will keep my cpu cool and is fairly quiet, at the same time fairly small. I noticed two reviewes in newegg had used 'Cooler Master Hyper 212 Cooler' and 'Xigmatek Loki Cooler'.
Any suggestions?

Thank you for bearing with me; cooling is not my strongsuit.

Hi LAWLerBAGGER, welcome to the forums.:welcome:

Looking at the pics of that board on Newegg, I see that the ram slots look to be pretty close to the processor. So you will need to go with a rather thin cooler to fit without interfering with your ram slots. What is your cooling budget, BTW?

For a few off-the-cuff choices, I would recommend something like the new model True Spirit or the True Spirit 140. Both should clear your ram slots and both should cool much, much better than the stock cooler AMD ships. I'm presently testing the True Spirit 140 (interrupted by an emergency relief situation at work unfortunately) and I did a test mount of it on a Biostar AM2+ mATX board much like yours and had the clearance to use all 4 ram slots. Another rather expensive but very effective choice I would recommend is the Prolimatech Genesis. It's a bit unusual in that 1 of the heatpipe stacks overhangs above the ram slots, giving a good flow of air from the fan on that stack blowing across your ram and motherboard components. It has a pretty generous clearance from the ram, so even ram with tall heatspreaders shouldn't give any problems. The only thing is that you need to install your ram before mounting the heatsink. And you will need to buy a couple of 120 x 25 mm fans (or 140 x 25 mm fans as it can use either) to go with it too, since it doesn't come with fans. You can get a couple of Yate Loon low speed fans for $12 and have great cooling performance.

Thanks for all of the information and welcome muddocktor. I am trying to stay around 30 for the replacement. I splurged a bit on the processor, so i better not push my luck. The Prolimatech Genesis looks like it would do a great job, but I may have to look into that sometime down the line. I am thinking about going with the True spirit 140. It looks like it will keep things pretty quiet, and that seemed to be the big complaint about the AMD stock cooler. I will give that one a shot. Thanks for your help!

Back