• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TPower i45

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

Just looking for a bit of insight on this board as I'm looking at buying one but not sure how good a clocker it is (under cold) and how much are they worth?
Any help appreciated

Thanks
Mark

The board is a FSB beast, I believe it holds some top spots in reference clock. I'd expect them to cost the same as other good P45 boards or maybe a little higher. Most good P45 boards go around $75-100.

FAIL :rofl:

My sincere apologies, for some unknown reason I seen the green and had a brain fart

Thanks MattNo5ss

So embarrassed right now :rain:

:rofl:

It's no biggie, I thought it was pretty funny and assumed you just saw green.

Have you found any of those boards around?

Also, long live LGA775 :attn:

I'm in talks with a guy on eBay about the Tpower, and was just seeing if anyone with better knowledge of 775 had come across it, but man these old 775 boards bring a high price, I'm just checking out the market as I'm thinking of getting a few 775 chips and getting some benching done on them but I don't want to buy a donkey of a board and fight it all the way to 100th place on spi (been there before and its not fun) and those giga ep45 boards are like a ton of money and pretty rare now.

Yeah, the good boards are getting more and more rare. The REX still sells for around $200 or more regularly, mine was like $240 IIRC. My EP45T-Extreme was around $90. I rarely see a good P45 listed for under $75, and it will be snatched up almost instantly if it is.

Higher clocks are easier on the DDR3 boards since you don't have to worry about DDR2 clocking high enough to match a chip's FSB. Some DDR2 Micron D9s would be your best bet on a DDR2 board, they can do 600+ MHz if you push the volts. They can be fragile at times though.

I have a few sets of D9's in the spares draw so should be set for those. The guy of eBay has just got back to me and hit me with a buy it now of £48 shipped for the Tpower, seems like a half decent price, what do you think ? I was watching a rampage formula earlier today and it sold for over £100 :eek:

Ironic that you called him hokie as I had one of these boards. :D

The TPower is a superb board for FSB and clocking C2D's. It doesn't have the power capability for clocking quads though. If you want to play with C2Q's, I'd recommend a REX or Formula.

Side note - keep that northbridge well cooled. I had one under water and it burnt its shape into the block. Another tip - there is a setting for some sort of offset that I can't remember having to do with the CPU. I think it was CPU clock skew but can't be 100% sure. Anyway, 300ms was always the sweet spot for me.

I had a premonition that you would appear, hence the Hokie reply :escape: I've just hit the guy back with a offer. Thanks for the NB tip if I get it I will hopefully get a few C2D's and maybe get some boints, but I've heard C2D's don't like cold...

Last edited:
Board is great for OC but has really weak memory power phase. Simply if you keep overclocking D9 @2.2V or higher for too long then board will stop to work with any memory. I had 3 RMA for this issue with my board and my friend had 2. In all cases boards were replaced to new.
Here is my older post with some results. I was running @600MHz FSB, with 4 memory sticks @1200 5-5-5, 24/7, 100% stable.
C2D have usually cold bug at about -90*C or lower ( depends from cpu ). My E8500 had CB at about -110*C on LN2 and it went up to 6GHz on Biostar TPower. Of course I didn't make screenshot or valid :-/ and most other tests are at about 5.7-5.8GHz so still not that bad.

I was hopeing you would pop in on here woomack as I saw you're Tpower scores on the bot and they look pretty impressive, good to know about the mem power phase being a bit dodgy but if it goes then bummer.

You will probably make some scores before anything happens but noone knows. I'm just saying that's about the only issue with these boards.
Max FSB for me was something about 680MHz ... and I didn't save result that day counting on something better, after that I don't remember exactly but board died or something :p

Like we said, FSB monster. Mine stopped at 550, not because the board couldn't do it, but my RAM gave up on me. Never had nice DIMMS back then. Too bad that board isn't DDR3, that would be a heck of a combination.

Just paid the guy for the board, so should start looking for some 775 C2D's now.

Sweet! Fwiw, I had an E8400, E8500 and E8600. The 8400 beat the pants off the other two.

Back