• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bitcoin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
guys got a noob question for y'all, Ive been btc mining with bitminter for some time, but with my modest hard and current difficulty it its becoming rather unfulfilling :( so I figured id try ltc, but with guiminer scrypt, when I run it with intensity 18, my pc becomes nearly unresponsive, it seems to be putting such a stress on the gpu that I am actually scared lol
any advise ? am I overreacting or is intensity 18 just too much ? ive tried with a 5770 and a 7770, same results different pcs

TIA,

Dan

guys got a noob question for y'all, Ive been btc mining with bitminter for some time, but with my modest hard and current difficulty it its becoming rather unfulfilling :( so I figured id try ltc, but with guiminer scrypt, when I run it with intensity 18, my pc becomes nearly unresponsive, it seems to be putting such a stress on the gpu that I am actually scared lol
any advise ? am I overreacting or is intensity 18 just too much ? ive tried with a 5770 and a 7770, same results different pcs

TIA,

Dan
Overreacting Lol ;)
If you want to use the PC while its running you'll have to try less than 13 intensity. Higher and it becomes laggy. You'll get a lower hash rate though
ya I get that error I think it has to do with
.net OR/AND the .bat file we make
a clean install with new .net and no --shaders I don't get a crash

Just uninstalled/reinstalled .net, tried with no shaders option still doesn't work.

If you still plan on using the computer, put the intensity on a lower number setting, or choose dynamic. High intensity values should only be used on dedicated miners, really.

just set it to 12 and feels ok, but of course quite a khs drop, oh well still fun

guys in need your opinion.

my dad is suggesting me to buy the 7950 and power supply on credit for the LTC bench im trying to make. but i dont know if i would actually be able to pay it off in time.

should i continue saving up or just buy the graphics card on credit?

in case your wondering, it will be my first time using credit on my own.

EDIT: the motherboard i have is an asrock g31m-s using a (soon to be) Core 2 Duo 8400 that will be running linux for both gaming and bitcoin mining.

however, since i keep getting highly recommended to get two 7950s, i will also have to change out the board. im at the point where i wish i could get freebie parts which i know wont happen and will make me look like a 5 year old.

HELP?!?! :(

+1. If you can't afford it without making any extra LTC income, wait on it. If you have a hardware failure or can't get everything mining properly, you'll default on the payment (or at the very least have to make the minimum payment and then pay interest).

Hey Guys, I've been following this thread for the last few weeks and decided to give Bitmining a shot. But I have a question, is this good? 339mh_zpsa4d41c0c.png two MSI GTX 580 Lightnings, GUIMiner v.2012-12-03
If not, any advice will be helpful :) Thanks

Check that with a calculator. I can't imagine that will give a very high return in BTC, and those cards are power HUNGRY.

Edit: That's ~.02/day, which at current prices is .02*$115, or $2.30, roughly. Then, if you are mining 24hours per day, take your power cost in Kilowatt hours, multiply by 24, and then multiply by your computer power consumption (in Kw, not watts, so divide by 1000).

My current mining rig is at 360watts, so my power cost is $.07/KWh * 24 * .36 = $.60 I imagine, however, that those 580's are cutting a bit farther into your profits than my cards cut into mine. According to the first power consumption link I clicked, those cards are ~350 each, your costs are (power cost) * .7 * 24. Even for my pretty low power cost, that's more than half your profit margin ($1.18 at 7 cents per KWh).

Last edited:
Thanks Chance :) I checked and the numbers go up and down, this is what I just got 325 MH/s. Yea, there are power hungry. With a GTX 670 I get 102 Mhash/s so I'll use these 580's till I get a 7970 or two :)

If anyone wants to join a pool here is a good one :) http://jesse11.triplemining.com

Last edited:
The Amd cards definitely run a lot better. IIRC, it's because Amd gpu's calculate integer functions better while Nvidia wins handily in floating point operations. I haven't read up on that in a while those. :shrug:

What MH/s are you mining? I read AMD Mine's much better (more Bitcoins) then nVidia so I buy Amd for mining and nVidia for gaming as I like cuda and Phyx. :)

I used to have 2ghash mining BTC when I had 3x5870, 1x5850 and 1x5830, but now I am just running one 5850 and one 5830 for 430khash/second on LTC.

Cool :) are LTC's the best to mine now? Can you mine LTC's with GPU's?

I'm a novice at this mining thing so please bear with me. Thanks

Last edited:
Cool, one more question, what miner do you use for LTC's? Is it the same GUIMiner v.2012-12-03 you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back