• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black I/O Ports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

corebreach

Registered
I have an old Intel Socket 7 motherboard, and the plastic parts of the sound, USB, PS/2, parallel, game and serial ports are all black. I really dislike the color-coded ports that are on motherboards today; I think they're unsightly and unprofessional. Any chance of motherboard manufacturers going back to black?

Unsightly - yes.
Unprofessional - maybe.
Easy to see in shadow, while my head is bent halfway over the back of my desk, my neck is turned sideways, and there is hot air blowing in my face - definitely.

They work. I like them because they male my life easier. I can see myslef geting frustrated with all black ports.

How often is your attention directed at the REAR of your PC? Fo me, it is ONLY when I NEED to get to something back there - and when I DO need to get back there - I surely WANT everything to be clear as it can be. Green for Mouse - There it is. That was easy... Not To Mention - can you even find "white" mouse PS/2 plugs - I have only seen "Green" ones - so what is the use of a "Black" port with a "Green" plug in it? It is still GREEN!

I guess they make it easy for 99.9% of the people, but "tick off" the other .1%... (Hey - just the OPPOSITE of Bill Gates ;) ) :cool:

It's not so much that I see it all that often, its just knowing that it's there; this dormant notion of the assumption of incompetence on the part of the consumer. Especially with the enthusiast boards, you'd think they have a clue that we know better. You're right about the 99/1% thing though. Sigh...

Randyman... said:
Not To Mention - can you even find "white" mouse PS/2 plugs - I have only seen "Green" ones - so what is the use of a "Black" port with a "Green" plug in it? It is still GREEN!
You must have never seen the more basic/older Microsoft mice. White plugs all the way...

Then there are those mice that have red plugs. WTF?!?

Oh - I have a drawer full! You still have a WHITE plug in a BLACK port! What sense does that make?

I like it - even in low light - I can still see "Green - to - Green". Even if I have a "white" mouse cord, I can still CLEARLY see "GREEN" on the MoBo w/o much light at all! (Usually the case behind the PC)... Those MoBo panels with the "Stamped" labels are not readible in anything but a spotlight IMO....

I agree - it is a bit "elementary" with the "Enthusiast Boards" as you say - but it still helps me - and does not "offend" me in any way...

It's YOUR PC. :cool:

Back