• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black screen, my PC wont boot :( whats wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soyo Boy

Some system specs:

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B Mobo
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Corsair PC3200 512 stick (x2)
450w PSU
W800 Western Digital 80GB HDD (x3)
ATi Radeon 9600xt

Problem:

I was OC'ing in my bios and probally set the vcore too high (was doing well in 1.7 but tried 1.8 because it was a little unstabble but temps were good, about 40*c) and ESC hit F10 to save and ofcourse, it rebooted to reload new settings. After this, the monitor just stays blacks. Ok, so now I try to reset the CMOS by moving the J1 jumper over with the power plug unplugged. I put the jumper back onto it's original state and power in, boot it up, and still black screen.

So now, I try to reset the CMOS again, by taking out power cord, moving the jumper over, and taking out the little CMOS battery. I wait about 5 mins, put everything back into it's original state, then tried to boot it up again and still nothing on monitor.

Could I have burned out my CPU already? I've gotten the whole system only 2 days ago, and doubt it overheated or burned out because temps were fine before the .5 voltage increase.

I've also tried using the "cmos reloaded" hot keys that DFI claims can reset cmos without moving over the jumper, and this still didnt work. I've tried switching out my video card to see if that was the problem, and still no luck :(

If you guys can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

If it is my CPU, hopefully I can bring it back to Frys and exchange it (i'll just say the system didnt boot up when first installing it or something =x )

Thx again fellas

extreme

You may well have fried it though I doubt it. Disassemble the MB. Remove it from the case, pop out the CMOS battery, check the CPU (remove it) and if you have a chip puller pop the CMOS chip out of the socket. ( carefully noting the key corner/pin alignment ) Wait an HOUR. Reassemble. If it won't play nice then, get it off the play ground (take the damaged component to wherever) . Test the CPU if you have an available MB for it to fit in, Test the MB with another CPU.
Sorry that happened to you, but that is the danger of OC. YOU VOID yer Warranty.

I had the EXACT same problem. It wasn't the cpu, the CPU worked fine on a different motherboard. Something on the motherboard was damaged. I don't know much about the little chips on the MB so I don't know exactly what is damaged.

I get a black screen like that when I tried to raise the FSB of my pali 2100 to 166... The screen went blank when I rebooted. I changed the clear CMOS jumper and rebooted, then powered down and put the jumper back. Everything was fine!

I've had that same problem. It turns out it was my Corsair ram. Every time I reset the CMOS, I have to change ram. Something about the Default settings on my A7N8X won't work with Corsair ram. It's possible you're experiencing similiar problems. If you have ram from another system you might try swaping it out.

Back