• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BlackFriday / CyberMonday upgrades, what do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok since i had some funds left over from my trip to retro gaming world i figured i'd upgrade my system.
it'd be the bigger upgrade since the rest of its getting a bit out dated, CPU, Ram, Mobo, possibly a NVMe and probably a new cooling solution

I thought about going intel but the bang for the buck just isnt there still.
I'm not sure what to get CPU/mobo wise with the BF and CM deals.

For CPUs i was thinking:
2600 $130
2600x $180
1700x $150

they are all pretty close in price

MOBOs i was thinking:
Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING $115
AS Rock X470 Master SLI/AC $125

both are $99 after MIR

i'm looking to overclock some more on this setup than i did on my current 8320e
It'll be gaming mostly, only components that arent getting replaced are the GTX 1080 i just got, Case (Nanoxia DS6) and PSU (Corsair 700w something), a 3.5 inch SSD and a platter drive

any other suggestions on the other parts? trying to keep it arround $400 for the above listed parts (2nd line this post) thats not including a $100 gift card to amazon i just remembered i had while typing this

You realize don't you that the Ryzen CPUs are great overclockers. You can count on about 400 mhz.

Edit: I meant to say, "not great overclockers . . ."

Last edited:
400 mhz from baseclock. Otherwise its 100-200mhz over boost. Get them for what they are...not for how they overclock. :)

Thats actually pretty close to what i was looking at, except the NVMe was a A Data, not that A data is the best (they are ok) but i just prefer not to buy samsung stuff.

I didnt however see that 240mm cooler before, thats a pretty impressive price. i'll look up some reviews on it real quick

Personally unless you're doing a lot of heavy read/write stuff, I would drop the NVMe and spend that on better ram. I'm working on a ryzen build myself right now and ram speed seems to make a big difference up to about 3200 or 3400. They've gotten a lot better at hitting their XMP profiles, however it's worth looking into how big of a difference tighter timings make at a specific clock. I'm not necessarily saying you need to pay the b-die tax, but it's worth looking into getting something that is better than CL 16 @ 3000mhz. At least that's how I'm feeling based on my research.

Thats actually pretty close to what i was looking at, except the NVMe was a A Data, not that A data is the best (they are ok) but i just prefer not to buy samsung stuff.

I didnt however see that 240mm cooler before, thats a pretty impressive price. i'll look up some reviews on it real quick

Right on, I have the same cooler in my PC right now, but it is Addressable RGB variant, everything else though is the same. And works pretty well for me, even while overclock and performing stress tests, I would consider it to be the best bang for your buck AIO on the market currently.

Personally unless you're doing a lot of heavy read/write stuff, I would drop the NVMe and spend that on better ram. I'm working on a ryzen build myself right now and ram speed seems to make a big difference up to about 3200 or 3400. They've gotten a lot better at hitting their XMP profiles, however it's worth looking into how big of a difference tighter timings make at a specific clock. I'm not necessarily saying you need to pay the b-die tax, but it's worth looking into getting something that is better than CL 16 @ 3000mhz. At least that's how I'm feeling based on my research.

I agree to a point, but outside of synthetic benchmarks the tighter timings don't drastically change real world performance (gaming specifically) as much just strictly faster RAM does. To that end you could probably easily overclock that listed kit to 3200-3400 MHz and boom, $100 for fast ram to compliment your system. Just my train of thought

As to the storage upgrade, it does make a note worthy difference in booting the OS, but that's about the size of it. A 4x larger capacity SSD could be had for roughly the same price these days and will operate (at least in gaming and booting OS) roughly similar. M.2 is really geared towards those that do a ton of rendering and encoding.

ok so on the topic of ram would spending another $15 be worth getting 3200 over 3000?

I saw these that's why I am asking:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231941&ignorebbr=1

as for the NVMe thing I would just be using it for a boot and 240 gig is more than enough for that, plus that seems to be the sweet spot for speed/price.
I am tempted to try raid on NVMe but I realize i'd probably be better off getting an add in card since in my price range only one m.2 is full speed to the CPU and the other is a generation behind and half the lanes.
I might do that if I get around to ripping all my movies to move to a plex server... some day but that would most likely be the largest file chunk I would come across and its a big if

edit:
I realize I could probably OC the ram but maybe I could push 3200 ram further?
I know that would be playing the silicon lottery....

Last edited:
I mean the thing is, you can only push 3466 MHz on most X470 boards. So you can get 3200, it is better and certainly you'd be more likely to be able to push 3400 at the stock if not tightened timings. But for $15 more, then in general yes.

So the pump on my loop went out. And my 6700k was roasting at 100c for a while lol. So I figured it was time to replace it since I don't really trust it any more.

Picked up a 1700x from microcenter for $140 and a x470 Strix. Was looking at that gigabyte but the junk vrm I decided to go with the Strix.

ua 1751us. Took a little bit to get back into the mix with AMD. Haven't been on AMD since the FX57 days. But the CPU I got in terms of ryzen is amazing. So far I hit 4.25 stable across 8 cores. I gotta a little left but I been dialing my settings in for a daily driver. 4ghz stable 1.306v running some crucial ballistix elite 2666 @ 3200 "can't go any higher" 14-14-14-36 2t stable. Definitely got a good 1700x. I know games I'll have a slight hit but not much. I game at 4k on a aours 1080ti Xtreme. And my i7 topped out at 4.6ghz so I'm not seeing a difference in games but my God am I seeing a difference in heavy work loads. I will say mobo is typical Asus. Trash software but the hardware is good if you can look past the dumb stuff they plaster all over it. Bios some times when I exit will lock up. Totally random. There's an update so I'll try that and see if it fix's.

But I was in the settings spot. Spent a few bucks more on the Strix and very happy with the performance of the board. The Asus has better phases for your power delivery and from my understanding an external clock gen what most x470's in that price range don't have. Haven't messed around with it but it's there in the bios.

I would just spend more on a mobo. Then pick up

So the pump on my loop went out. And my 6700k was roasting at 100c for a while lol. So I figured it was time to replace it since I don't really trust it any more.

Picked up a 1700x from microcenter for $140 and a x470 Strix. Was looking at that gigabyte but the junk vrm I decided to go with the Strix.

ua 1751us. Took a little bit to get back into the mix with AMD. Haven't been on AMD since the FX57 days. But the CPU I got in terms of ryzen is amazing. So far I hit 4.25 stable across 8 cores. I gotta a little left but I been dialing my settings in for a daily driver. 4ghz stable 1.306v running some crucial ballistix elite 2666 @ 3200 "can't go any higher" 14-14-14-36 2t stable. Definitely got a good 1700x. I know games I'll have a slight hit but not much. I game at 4k on a aours 1080ti Xtreme. And my i7 topped out at 4.6ghz so I'm not seeing a difference in games but my God am I seeing a difference in heavy work loads. I will say mobo is typical Asus. Trash software but the hardware is good if you can look past the dumb stuff they plaster all over it. Bios some times when I exit will lock up. Totally random. There's an update so I'll try that and see if it fix's.

But I was in the settings spot. Spent a few bucks more on the Strix and very happy with the performance of the board. The Asus has better phases for your power delivery and from my understanding an external clock gen what most x470's in that price range don't have. Haven't messed around with it but it's there in the bios.

I would just spend more on a mobo. Then pick up

I have the same MB for my rig and I found it all around to be a great buy, but in my upgrade this spring will be getting the higher end Crosshair Hero VIII X570 and Ryzen 3000 series CPU. But with his budget and needs it is an over the top purchase in terms of price. Now if he was to nix the M.2 drive, then the X470-F Strix Gaming would be a via option for his budget.

As far as I know the Strix does not have external clock gen.

Scu84St3v3420 you could definitely be correct about the latency. I would be interested to learn more, as I don't look forward to paying the b die tax.

As far as I know the Strix does not have external clock gen.

Scu84St3v3420 you could definitely be correct about the latency. I would be interested to learn more, as I don't look forward to paying the b die tax.

It does. I been out of the amd loop since FX-57 days. 96mhz to 118mhz. Still learning all the AMD changes. But it's APU Frequency. I don't know if it's just for APU's but set it to 118mhz target CPU speed jumps to 3,776Mhz. So looks like a Bclk just don't know if it's just APU's or if Asus just calls it that and I haven't played around with it.

But the Strix is a great mobo only held back bumy asus's inability to make software. Bios is buggy. I go to save bios locks up. Reboot and I can save fine. Great mobo held back by the fact not a single person at Asus can program better then a 10 year old. But you bet they put some tacky crap all over the mobo. Most of it you can look past but that crap on the heatsink. Well that had to go on mine. Same with the little rog tag...yes they put a tag on it like a t shirt. Because that's where the priority is. Not a stable bios but making it as tacky as they can.

That being said even with the bios issues it's still the best under $200 and you can get past them pretty easy if you like pushing that 1700x because this mobo can do it.

It does. I been out of the amd loop since FX-57 days. 96mhz to 118mhz. Still learning all the AMD changes. But it's APU Frequency. I don't know if it's just for APU's but set it to 118mhz target CPU speed jumps to 3,776Mhz. So looks like a Bclk just don't know if it's just APU's or if Asus just calls it that and I haven't played around with it.

But the Strix is a great mobo only held back bumy asus's inability to make software. Bios is buggy. I go to save bios locks up. Reboot and I can save fine. Great mobo held back by the fact not a single person at Asus can program better then a 10 year old. But you bet they put some tacky crap all over the mobo. Most of it you can look past but that crap on the heatsink. Well that had to go on mine. Same with the little rog tag...yes they put a tag on it like a t shirt. Because that's where the priority is. Not a stable bios but making it as tacky as they can.

That being said even with the bios issues it's still the best under $200 and you can get past them pretty easy if you like pushing that 1700x because this mobo can do it.

Yes you can adjust the Bclk, but it doesn't just affect the CPU and yes they call it APU frequency (for whatever reason). It is a great MB, I disagree with you on their bios, I thought it was great... Certainly was very easy to use for me, with plenty of accessibility and not buggy (IMO) and I've owned my since the day they hit the market and this is the first PC I've built in over 10 years.

As to it being tacky, that is a matter of opinion. I agree the tag was misguided and the holographic on the heat sink wasn't very thought out, beyond that thought I thought the appearance was decent. I do agree, it is the best X470 board on the market under the $200+ range.

I've never had any luck with asus, I stopped buying their stuff back in the P2 days (that's Pentium not phenom), since then ive bounced around but most of the really good board makers are gone like DFI and Abit. For a while I kept winding up with Biostar boards that were pretty good except for their bios problems. not that they were poorly programmed but they didn't label things correctly. I remember one board you could only adjust ram in frequency steps, so if you set the ram at 666 it would actually be running at 800, took me a while to figure out why when I set my rated 800 Mhz sticks to the same speed in the bios it wouldn't post. come to find out it was trying to run them at 1066...

time is counting down, prices are as well. Amazon's 2600 is down to $145 and the Gigabyte board is down to $105 so I can couple that with my gift card and yea I wont be getting in the mail in's but i'm willing to forgo a $5 difference for a MIR I probably wont get back any way.

you guys were talking about VRMs I did some digging and found Actually Hardcore's board breakdowns and of the ones I have been looking at the gigglebyte has the better of them. plus if I toast it, its not a huge deal. I've not had any thing light up on me yet and I have used some pretty crap components in no so ideal circumstances.

i'm not sure what I am going to do with cooling so I might run a stocker (@stock speeds of course) until I decide on what to do. I just found out swiftech makes expandable AIOs and their 360 looks kinda neato, with some thing like that It would probably out live several upgrades along with my case

I've never had any luck with asus, I stopped buying their stuff back in the P2 days (that's Pentium not phenom), since then ive bounced around but most of the really good board makers are gone like DFI and Abit. For a while I kept winding up with Biostar boards that were pretty good except for their bios problems. not that they were poorly programmed but they didn't label things correctly. I remember one board you could only adjust ram in frequency steps, so if you set the ram at 666 it would actually be running at 800, took me a while to figure out why when I set my rated 800 Mhz sticks to the same speed in the bios it wouldn't post. come to find out it was trying to run them at 1066...

time is counting down, prices are as well. Amazon's 2600 is down to $145 and the Gigabyte board is down to $105 so I can couple that with my gift card and yea I wont be getting in the mail in's but i'm willing to forgo a $5 difference for a MIR I probably wont get back any way.

you guys were talking about VRMs I did some digging and found Actually Hardcore's board breakdowns and of the ones I have been looking at the gigglebyte has the better of them. plus if I toast it, its not a huge deal. I've not had any thing light up on me yet and I have used some pretty crap components in no so ideal circumstances.

i'm not sure what I am going to do with cooling so I might run a stocker (@stock speeds of course) until I decide on what to do. I just found out swiftech makes expandable AIOs and their 360 looks kinda neato, with some thing like that It would probably out live several upgrades along with my case

Yeah I hate Asus but the Strix is a better board even with the junk software.

Also keep in mind that most reviews are people looking at data sheets. I work with electronics and have a degree in opto-electronics. So I look at more then just the data sheets. Example. I had an Asrock mobo that had a trace vaporize because they failed to do simple math when doing there layout. And doing math of data sheets give you the theoretical absolute best case. You need to factor in tolerances what no one does because every spec has a +/-. And when parts heat up that efficiency changes.

I really should take some boards to work and hook them up on some real test equipment and pull some real numbers on stuff. We have a Fab to so we have all kinds of nice toys.

But I always use gigabyte. But for some reason on the x470 the only one I would even consider would be the gaming 7. They really didn't give any love to the lower teirs and it shows. I think you will be happy with the ultra and won't have any issues. My beef comes from being an engineer and I look at things and cry a little inside.

well some how I wound up with a mobo and ram but no CPU. Every time I went to order the CPU I wanted it went out of stock, and then when I left back to work it was back in stock it was maddening!

any was this is the mobo: $95 https://www.amazon.com/MSI-X470GPLU..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=MCCR9NVQ32R2H9B8C97N

and this is the ram I ordered: $120 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232742&ignorebbr=1

I have no intention on trying to run that ram at its rated speed on this board with what ever cpu I get it was more of a cost thing, the 3200 8gb x 2 set I wanted was sold out and this was only $5 more, plus I like the look of them better (not like i'll see them in a sound insulated case) but who knows maybe since I'll have that head room I can get a CAS better than 16 at 3000 or 3200

Back