• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BlackFriday / CyberMonday upgrades, what do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I couldn't justify the cost of the 2700 chips with what I do, I just don't think I am going to see that big of a difference, plus if I am going to upgrade to a different chip when AM4+ comes out then i'll be a bit more comfortable writing off a $150 chip than a $250 one.

I wish there was a micro center here, they used to have one in salem (few hundred miles north of here) but it seems there isn't any on the west coast any more

man sorry to hear you missed the CPU deals. Microcenter is also doing the 2600x sale, if you can get to one that might be your best bet.

I think you'll be happier with the extra ram headroom. You can use programs like DRAM calculator to help you get the best stable settings.

man sorry to hear you missed the CPU deals. Microcenter is also doing the 2600x sale, if you can get to one that might be your best bet.

I think you'll be happier with the extra ram headroom. You can use programs like DRAM calculator to help you get the best stable settings.

I got a 1700x and I got some crucial balistix elite 2666 running at 3300 1.4v 16-17-1-17. What helped was I switched to a Aorus gaming 7 and went from a 3200 wall to a 3300 stable oc on it.

But yeah I jumped on that $129 deal. They bumped the price up a bit. And it's still a deal I would still be in on one at that price. Just $129 the. $30 off a combo that was an amazing deal. Can't really justify the price difference between the 1700x and the 2700 and 2700x the one I got hits 4.25 stable so far. Daily is 4.17 1.4v and it's nipping at the heals of the 2700x for less then 1/2 the price. I mean that extra $140 I could of just spent $20 more and got another 1700x with a cheap mobo. Talk about bang for the buck. I wanna see how many people decided to jump on the Ryzen train.

ok so patience pays off I guess.... I noticed that at about 12:30am new egg dropped a "mystery deal" on the 2600 at $159 (again) so I jumped on it. not the $145 it was on amazon but its still about $40 below MSRP.
I paid $1.99 to get 3 day shipping so hopefully it gets here by the end of the week. it comes just under the wire though, after shopping for things around the house and gifts I am tapped out till Friday but nows the time to get a lot of this stuff you wouldn't otherwise think about.

so all said and done I managed:

MSI X470 Gaming Plus $95
G.Skill Sniper X 3600 $120
R5 2600 $160

..........TOTAL: $377 (+$2 shipping)
.................... -$95 Amazon Gift Card
Out of pocket $282

$282 isn't bad for the base of a system with 6 cores and 16 gigs of ram. the nvme and cooling system will have to wait but I can re use what I have currently until that time comes.

Its not that there is any thing wrong with my Scythe Yassa i just want to get something new so i can retire this to a garage PC i am working on out of spare parts

ok so patience pays off I guess.... I noticed that at about 12:30am new egg dropped a "mystery deal" on the 2600 at $159 (again) so I jumped on it. not the $145 it was on amazon but its still about $40 below MSRP.
I paid $1.99 to get 3 day shipping so hopefully it gets here by the end of the week. it comes just under the wire though, after shopping for things around the house and gifts I am tapped out till Friday but nows the time to get a lot of this stuff you wouldn't otherwise think about.

so all said and done I managed:

MSI X470 Gaming Plus $95
G.Skill Sniper X 3600 $120
R5 2600 $160

..........TOTAL: $377 (+$2 shipping)
.................... -$95 Amazon Gift Card
Out of pocket $282

$282 isn't bad for the base of a system with 6 cores and 16 gigs of ram. the nvme and cooling system will have to wait but I can re use what I have currently until that time comes.

Its not that there is any thing wrong with my Scythe Yassa i just want to get something new so i can retire this to a garage PC i am working on out of spare parts

I'm not sure you will be able to run that ram kit at the full rated 3600 mhz, your board shows support for up to 3466... My current MB also has the same support for frequencies and I can oc my ram to 3466 at stock timings and voltage, but push one inch past that and no matter how I tweak the settings in bios I can't get the RAM stable above 3466. Perhaps this isn't the case for all boards that only show support for up to 3466...

Either way great deal hunting my man!

nicely done! you should be able to tighten the timings down on your snipers. id shoot for 3200c15 or 16. if you run thaiphoon burner on them you can find out what ics they have. that will make it a little easier to find similar clocks.
i just checked microcenter and they have dropped the 1700x back down to 149 so im debating as to what im going to do when i get there! either the 1700x and msi gaming pro carbon x470 for $301 or 8700k for $329...and hold off on a mb. argh decisions...oooor wait it out for a 9900k.

Most Sniper X are on new Hynix IC and OC up to ~3800 but at CL19 or 20. I could set 3600 CL16-19-19 on Intel and 3600 18-20-20 on AMD. Max was 3866 CL20.
I had 3600 CL19 kit which was replaced quickly by CL20 ... literally the day before review was published it was removed from the product list. I guess it's because they couldn't get as many CL19 chips as they wanted for mass production. On the other hand it's still good enough memory for gaming or anything else and it's really cheap.

I'm not sure you will be able to run that ram kit at the full rated 3600 mhz, your board shows support for up to 3466... My current MB also has the same support for frequencies and I can oc my ram to 3466 at stock timings and voltage, but push one inch past that and no matter how I tweak the settings in bios I can't get the RAM stable above 3466. Perhaps this isn't the case for all boards that only show support for up to 3466...

Either way great deal hunting my man!

I wasn't planning on running it that fast but the 3200 kit I wanted was sold out and this was only $5 more than it

nicely done! you should be able to tighten the timings down on your snipers. id shoot for 3200c15 or 16. if you run thaiphoon burner on them you can find out what ics they have. that will make it a little easier to find similar clocks.
i just checked microcenter and they have dropped the 1700x back down to 149 so im debating as to what im going to do when i get there! either the 1700x and msi gaming pro carbon x470 for $301 or 8700k for $329...and hold off on a mb. argh decisions...oooor wait it out for a 9900k.

you might just watch the sales before the end of the year and something might pop up, never know.

Most Sniper X are on new Hynix IC and OC up to ~3800 but at CL19 or 20. I could set 3600 CL16-19-19 on Intel and 3600 18-20-20 on AMD. Max was 3866 CL20.
I had 3600 CL19 kit which was replaced quickly by CL20 ... literally the day before review was published it was removed from the product list. I guess it's because they couldn't get as many CL19 chips as they wanted for mass production. On the other hand it's still good enough memory for gaming or anything else and it's really cheap.

huh I got a CL19 kit (F4-3600C19D-16GSXKB). your numbers of CL16 at 3600 give me hope, even though it was on an intel setup, maybe i'll win the silicon lottery and be able to pull that off or maybe 14 at 3200 on the stuff I got. I was really just hoping for a way around the Samsung B Tax, feels like new age TCCD to me for some reason...

huh I got a CL19 kit (F4-3600C19D-16GSXKB). your numbers of CL16 at 3600 give me hope, even though it was on an intel setup, maybe i'll win the silicon lottery and be able to pull that off or maybe 14 at 3200 on the stuff I got. I was really just hoping for a way around the Samsung B Tax, feels like new age TCCD to me for some reason...

It doesn't matter much on Ryzen. People create theories about Samsung B chips and how CL14 is so much better but in real I haven't seen any special difference on Ryzen. Actually better results were on more relaxed timings and higher clock. Of course the best will be 3600+ CL14 but most motherboards won't run at 3600 stable, not to mention tight timings.
Samsung B is the best in competitive benchmarking because of 3733+ CL12 at really high voltages or 4500+ results. In daily usage or gaming it really doesn't matter.

Here is early Ryzen comparison, higher frequency memory is missing but it only gets better at higher clock. Also not always tighter timings give better results and it's not scaling like we are expecting. If we skip synthetic bandwidth/latency tests then in some tests/games CL14 can be as fast as CL16 or even CL18. I guess it's because of how cache works and some other things.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Analysis/3.html

I would say that good is to get at least DDR4-2666, better if DDR4-2933/3000 ... everything above is giving lower performance gain but Ryzen is scaling really well with memory clock.

The evga kit 3200mhz cl16 should work with it. Hynix...Not that great of deal on the chip but pretty good. And well the MSI seems to be trusted. And the Lightshow will be something more Interesting. Pretty ok block too. Will See.

incase any one is curious:
snap129201874428PM.png

i'm working on a few issues currently.

it doesn't want to reboot, it either does normally and hangs on a black screen before post or it takes, no joke, 15 minutes plus to reboot and when it does its usually successful.
this seems to be regardless of speed or timings, I have a probable idea that its the old windows install I am trying to use still but I didn't want to wipe it since the SSD its on is getting replaced, and this install is going to be back with its old hardware soon.
trying to make do with it till I get the nvme ordered.

thinking about it, it could be a windows update issue, I haven't updated windows for years

edit:

well that's not good
ssdbad.jpg

tried different sata port and cable, no change. guess I need to order that nvme tonight

Last edited:
Back