• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blowhole raises my temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jenko

Just cut and fitted a 120mm blowhole using a antec fan at 7volts its shifts alot of air.
Running prime on heat test and using speenfans temp graphic i waited for temps to be stable cpu was 49c and sys was 30c with the blowhole blocked of with a heavy book.
Removed the book so the blowhole was in operation and with in 30secs my sys temps raised 2c and in 2 mins my cpu raised 3c.
I guess its conflicting with the 2 80mm exhuast fans i have at the rear of case.

Might swap the fan around so its a suckhole and check load temps wish i had not bothered completerly stripping my case a jigsawing the hole which is really easy on a 120mm did it spot on.

How many fans do you have total? What config?

Personally, I prefer to have all my fans blowing in
and have an open hole in the top. That way the
air can flow out naturally. Gave me the best temps too.

Otherwise you'll have to match the top exhaust fan (blow hole)
with the airflow of all the intakes. Much easier to have a hole. :)

I did try have all fans blowing in to pressurise the case and have only the blowhole and psu extracting at the top of the case this didnt help all.

With blowhole turned into a suckhole full load system temps drop 4c to 28c which excellent as i have a pressy.

My cpu temps full load seems the float around 50-51c which is ok for a pressy on stock intel cooler which i will replace when i can afford it.

jenko said:
I did try have all fans blowing in to pressurise the case and have only the blowhole and psu extracting at the top of the case this didnt help all.
>>>>>>

Yes, but was the "blow hole" open or did it have a fan?
If you had a top fan as the only exhaust it may not have
been able to expell all the air from the intakes.

Your blowhole may not be moving the CFMs it needs to, it should be comparable to all the intake fans combined otherwise hot air will recirculate through the case once it reaches an overloaded fan. This is especially so if your case is relatively air tight and the air can't escape anywhere else. That's atleast what I've found in my case, which is why I am upgrading it.

Try running it back on 12v... just to see what happens. If temps go down then you know your not sucking air out enough...

I think the hole hot air rise`s so a top blow hole is going to be the best isnt always right.

With people who have 2 80mm intakes at the front and 2 80mm extract at the rear, and a side panel fan are probly pissing in the wind with a blow hole, if anyone has this setup it cant hurt to try swapping the blowhole to a intake.
On smaller case`s it may not be a problem.

That may be why its not helping - sounds like you have a large case. By that I mean taller than a Lian-Li PC-60. My guess is that your fairly-high cfm PSU is mounted very close to the CPU (as in almost on the edge of the motherboard). My guess is that your PSU is functioning almost as a blowhole normally would, and the top hole is changing the airflow to almost avoid the cpu. I'll suggest this so you can really test it: turn off the blowhole fan and cover it up while running Sandra, and see if your temps drop. I'd suggest trying it with the fan both sucking and pulling to be sure of changes.

Back