• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-Ray Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

byrdawg

The bundled Cyberlink Power DvD & Hi-Def Suite that came with my Blu-Ray drive is really out dated and problematic. I am looking for Blu-Ray player software ONLY. I do not know if Cyberlink software is crap or just the bundled version, but I do not want to pay $100 dollars for a software package of a bunch of different programs I don't want just to play Blu-Rays. Any opinions of SOLID software that doesn't include label makers, burning sofware, etc.

looks like getting the cyberlink program is the best option for 'on the fly' decoding/watching.

There are other options, but not everyone likes taking the time to rip the bluray and then hoping that it ripped properly and gets read properly by whatever media program they use.

Blu-ray software is problematic because of the constantly changing measures to prevent their illegal use.

Updates are constantly required because certain new releases won't play on some older software.

Cyberlink PowerDVD
ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre
and WinDVD are pay-for programs I tested but this freeware also plays Blu-ray:

Media Player Classic Home Cinema
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

i personally own both WinDVD 9 Plus (BD) and PowerDvD 9 Plus (BD) . the reason being is that WinDvD 9 needed updating, and the update site never worked for me. between the two, image and sound quality are better in PowerDvD 9. (i have a X-Fi and the Creative Gigaworks 7.1 speaker system) so far i haven't liked the sound quality of any of the free BDPlayers i've tried, but to be honest, its also been a couple years since i tried any of the free ones, so there might actually be something decent out there now.

now, pressing play in PowerDvD keeps giving an alert window that something called TODO crashes. i typically just hit the [x] in the corner to close the alert out. most times the disc loads and plays just fine. sometimes i have to restart powerdvd and press play again, but the 2nd time is always a charm (TODO always seems to crash, and all i know is that it's launched with PowerDVD, but never seems to affect playback outside of the above. i think it has something to do with the online component, but haven't cared enough to extensively research it.)

I bought PowerDvD before WinDvD was mentioned. Actually I shot myself in the foot and purchased the wrong PowerDvD download. I then decided to get this ignorant mistake corrected would probably more costly timewise then just purchasing the upgrade download for Blu-Ray support. So basically I spent about as much as I previously mentioned I DID NOT want to pay. However, I like how PowerDvD 10 will play through WMC. That makes it worthwhile I suppose. Unless one of you come back to tell me WinDvd does too :shock:

Back